In your opinion, is the Davinci Resolve $300 full package worth it?

Reaction score
Right now I have my hands full learning how to use Premiere Pro, which is an awesome program, and I just got the free version of Davinci Resolve, however I haven't had time to mess with it. I was just wondering what your thought are on the full package. Does it outshine Premiere Pro, as I've heard? ATM, I prefere to use aggressive LUTs,and some pretty heavy processing, as opposed to going for a more natural, balanced look. Thank you in advance.

Right now I have my hands full learning how to use Premiere Pro, which is an awesome program, and I just got the free version of Davinci Resolve, however I haven't had time to mess with it. I was just wondering what your thought are on the full package. Does it outshine Premiere Pro, as I've heard? ATM, I prefere to use aggressive LUTs,and some pretty heavy processing, as opposed to going for a more natural, balanced look. Thank you in advance.
What are you getting for $300? Do you need all that?

First and foremost, what is your application? And by that I mean, what will you shoot? And what will you do with it?

You can get decent software for under $100 that will use LUT's and plenty of other stuff. Premiere, I think, is monthly fee now. You never really own it. I've tried Resolve (free version) and just didn't care for it. Never even looked in to the pro package.

Reactions: Ripper7620
What are you getting for $300? Do you need all that?

First and foremost, what is your application? And by that I mean, what will you shoot? And what will you do with it?

You can get decent software for under $100 that will use LUT's and plenty of other stuff. Premiere, I think, is monthly fee now. You never really own it. I've tried Resolve (free version) and just didn't care for it. Never even looked in to the pro package.
Thank you for the reply, I haven't tried Resolve yet, and don't have any ideas what it's capable of, which is basically what I'm asking. As far as what I'll use it for, I won't know until I start working with it and get an idea of what it's good for. Like I mentioned above, I usually do heavy processing and use LUTs on the more extreme side. Honestly, right now I've got nothing to complain about in regards to Premiere Pro, I think it's a great program, but I want to expand my capabilities and develop my skills(or lack there of ATM).

Thank you for the reply, I haven't tried Resolve yet, and don't have any ideas what it's capable of, which is basically what I'm asking. As far as what I'll use it for, I won't know until I start working with it and get an idea of what it's good for. Like I mentioned above, I usually do heavy processing and use LUTs on the more extreme side. Honestly, right now I've got nothing to complain about in regards to Premiere Pro, I think it's a great program, but I want to expand my capabilities and develop my skills(or lack there of ATM).
Suggest you download and try the free version first. DaVinci Resolve 15 | Blackmagic Design

Thank you, I already did that, just haven't got around to working with it , and surely won't drop $300 on the full version until I do. I'm asking if the people who have gotten the full version think it's worth all that money.
Not much difference between the two. $299 includes everything found in the free version plus multi user collaboration features that let editors, colorists, effects artists and sound engineers all work together on the same project at the same time, plus 3D tools, dozens of Resolve FX and more.

Not much difference between the two. $299 includes everything found in the free version plus multi user collaboration features that let editors, colorists, effects artists and sound engineers all work together on the same project at the same time, plus 3D tools, dozens of Resolve FX and more.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

DaVinci is very good and I have tried it, I have a i7 with 16 gigs ram with nvidia geforce video card and a SSD drive and a 4K monitor and my system is so slow that I took it out. Try before you buy as this real good software need lot's of hoohas to run well and the learning curve is steep. What I have barely crawled.

Reactions: BigAl07
DaVinci is very good and I have tried it, I have a i7 with 16 gigs ram with nvidia geforce video card and a SSD drive and a 4K monitor and my system is so slow that I took it out. Try before you buy as this real good software need lot's of hoohas to run well and the learning curve is steep. What I have barely crawled.
Thank you my system id as follows:
CPU:Threadripper 1950X
GPU: Quadro P5000
RAM: 64Gb 3600

Thank you my system id as follows:
CPU:Threadripper 1950X
GPU: Quadro P5000
RAM: 64Gb 3600
Yep that's hoohas I would try DaVinci on your system. Get the free version and see how you like it. DaVinci has maga stuff it can do and if you can survive the learning curve, your system with a 16 core threadripper and 64 Gb ram should make interesting. Do you really need and will you use Davinci? It's not like having a big truck that you don't use, when I say a steep leaning curve I mean steep like Mt. Everest steep.

Last edited:
I’m having a blast learning Davinci, got both my P5000 and Threadripper maxed out. Some of the features you have to dig for, and some are obvious. Does color grading like nobody’s business .

I was surprised to learn that Adobe Premier took a back seat to Davinci from the Hollywood editors and colorists as it can be run from an "internet free computer" where there is no ability for theft of someone elses intellectual property that could result in a lawsuit should it get leaked via a hacker or a Cloud-based service. It is also backed by some serious high-dollar hardware tools and editing bays by Blackmagic where Adobe isn't.

Learning curve is steep, and with version 14 on, it has an audio editor included. The ResolveFX effects in the paid ($299) Studio versions are nice and being improved as it moves into version 15.

There's a lot of keyboard shortcuts that help if you hunt them all down, e.g. Alt+A for a quick-and-dirty auto color fix. There's a few DJI LUTs in it too although I find shooting a xrite ColorChecker while shooting stills or video is easier and more accurate with the Davinci software's built-in color calibration references to use with the ColorChecker card (or the xrite Video one.

Fwiw, I had the free 13 version and finally bought the 14 when the audio was added. Plus, the price dropped from $999 down to $299 where Premier via the Adobe Cloud will cost more with less security. The lock-down Studio version uses a dongle key in the USB port to lock it up, or you can get a serial number once purchased. I think when I got the serial it added the online share portion that I didn't see prior on the desktop.

By all means, get Resolve 15 beta 2 free version. I love it! Fusion is integrated, free audio effects that work great, and most of the bugs have been fixed. I would wait to actually purchase it until the stable version is out.

By all means, get Resolve 15 beta 2 free version. I love it! Fusion is integrated, free audio effects that work great, and most of the bugs have been fixed. I would wait to actually purchase it until the stable version is out.
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

I was surprised to learn that Adobe Premier took a back seat to Davinci from the Hollywood editors and colorists as it can be run from an "internet free computer" where there is no ability for theft of someone elses intellectual property that could result in a lawsuit should it get leaked via a hacker or a Cloud-based service. It is also backed by some serious high-dollar hardware tools and editing bays by Blackmagic where Adobe isn't.

Learning curve is steep, and with version 14 on, it has an audio editor included. The ResolveFX effects in the paid ($299) Studio versions are nice and being improved as it moves into version 15.

There's a lot of keyboard shortcuts that help if you hunt them all down, e.g. Alt+A for a quick-and-dirty auto color fix. There's a few DJI LUTs in it too although I find shooting a xrite ColorChecker while shooting stills or video is easier and more accurate with the Davinci software's built-in color calibration references to use with the ColorChecker card (or the xrite Video one.

Fwiw, I had the free 13 version and finally bought the 14 when the audio was added. Plus, the price dropped from $999 down to $299 where Premier via the Adobe Cloud will cost more with less security. The lock-down Studio version uses a dongle key in the USB port to lock it up, or you can get a serial number once purchased. I think when I got the serial it added the online share portion that I didn't see prior on the desktop.
Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Everything about Davinci Resolve BlackMagic Bete2 is awesome, even the BM LUTs that turn my trees and grass fluorescent green. It's 10X faster than Premiere Pro and the quality a rank amateur can get is amazing.

I have been using Resolve since Version 12 and Fusion since version 8 and I love them. As far as I am concerned, they kick everything else to the curb. If you need tutorials on Resolve, check out Goat's Eye View.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl