In yard flying

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm wondering if it's actually illegal to take off and fly in my own yard and hover about 6 feet off the ground (below fence height) even tho I'm in restricted airspace (class E in Canada) for testing purposes. I would think it's ok, I'm certainly no danger to the public or any air traffic.

I don’t know all the Canadian laws but I would say yes it would be illegal. It would certainly be no danger to any air traffic *until* the drone develops a mind of its own and flies off against your will due to software/hardware malfunction, etc.
That’s rare but it happens.

I view this like J walking or not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. 99.99999% of the time it's perfectly safe, but illegal if you get caught, so most everyone does it because getting caught is very remote, and most cops turn their head. Just think of what it would take to get caught. A neighbor that doesn't like you, hear the drone, then without informing you, call the cops. "Hello, police dept? Yeah, my neighbor next door is flying is drone in his back yard". Can you imagine the priority that would get during Covid19 isolation? Remote risk. The police would likely feel it's appropriate to stay home to fly. Then, if the cop came to your house, he would have to see you flying it in the back yard to cite you. Remote risk. Personally I wouldn't hesitate a second to test a drone in my back yard 6' high, but I rarely do, and I don't live near an airport. It's my back yard, private space. I can lay out naked in my back yard if I wanted, but I don't. Just don't fly above fence line so the neighbors can see the drone. They might think you're spying on them while hovering suspiciously, which may change the context of the neighbor calling the cops.

Thanks for your words everyone. Yes "technically speaking" taking off in prohibited airspace would be illegal even if you were only 1 foot off the ground. That being said, flying below fence line in your own yard is hardly a threat to anyone or anything except the pilot. But your points are well taken, a neighbor simply has to hear it and or see it thru a gap in the fence boards and he can make the phone call. I dont know my neighbors well enough to know.

Perhaps fly inside a net enclosed area or between hedges etc. with a drone proof net etc. ceiling? That way the drone can't escape and you have GPS visibility. That said the DJI app reports one area local to me as 'restricted' and the map published by the associated airport shows that that location is not 'restricted'.
How draconian are your authorities?

Perhaps fly inside a net enclosed area or between hedges etc. with a drone proof net etc. ceiling? That way the drone can't escape and you have GPS visibility. That said the DJI app reports one area local to me as 'restricted' and the map published by the associated airport shows that that location is not 'restricted'.
How draconian are your authorities?
They seem to be very accurate here. Class G airspace is considered uncontrolled and is legal to fly in as long as you follow the give way to manned aircraft and flying over people laws but this area is definitely controlled, is very close to a military airforce base with it's own airport and there are many chopper maneuvers at low altitude near by, definitely not a safe place to fly.

Oddly the app warns me of class E airspace but does let me start the motors. I took off and immediately landed to test if it would let me and it did.

Hi All, I'm wondering if it's actually illegal to take off and fly in my own yard and hover about 6 feet off the ground (below fence height) even tho I'm in restricted airspace (class E in Canada) for testing purposes. I would think it's ok, I'm certainly no danger to the public or any air traffic.
I am pretty sure class e airspace is 700 in the zone and1200 outside both are agl

I view this like J walking or not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. 99.99999% of the time it's perfectly safe, but illegal if you get caught, so most everyone does it because getting caught is very remote, and most cops turn their head. Just think of what it would take to get caught. A neighbor that doesn't like you, hear the drone, then without informing you, call the cops. "Hello, police dept? Yeah, my neighbor next door is flying is drone in his back yard". Can you imagine the priority that would get during Covid19 isolation? Remote risk. The police would likely feel it's appropriate to stay home to fly. Then, if the cop came to your house, he would have to see you flying it in the back yard to cite you. Remote risk. Personally I wouldn't hesitate a second to test a drone in my back yard 6' high, but I rarely do, and I don't live near an airport. It's my back yard, private space. I can lay out naked in my back yard if I wanted, but I don't. Just don't fly above fence line so the neighbors can see the drone. They might think you're spying on them while hovering suspiciously, which may change the context of the neighbor calling the cops.
I live on the edge of controlled airspace and I ALWAYS get authorization (through Airmap) when I'm just out testing the bird outside my house. Takes like a minute. The key here is you're protected if anything goes wrong.

just look up the rules, In the states its widely publicized, FAA whatever it is in Canada I am sure there are apps like here which will tell if you can fly

Plus, the neighbor, assuming he is NOT a drone owner himself, may not even know you're IN restricted space... slim, I'd say.

Plus, the neighbor, assuming he is NOT a drone owner himself, may not even know you're IN restricted space... slim, I'd say.
I live near Disneyland in Anaheim CA and its got a 100 year or something restriction! period! however what I did is call each Police Dept or Sherriff Dept in surrounding areas and asked them, most were very helpful, Each city or county has a drone law or regulation, Look it up! the FAA will never come after anyone they don't have the manpower, Its the frikin neighbors who call the cops and thats the problem! This is why I got Licensed so I if anyone approaches me Here is my license, and I have already cleared where I fly! I would never fly in any restricted airspace anywhere without ATC approval thru Kittyhawk or Airmap and on jobs I would be fully insured,

Your backyard is one thing, but DJI Go4 won't let me take off in my own living room because I live next to an airport, a tiny rural airport with 0-4 flights daily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.