In Need of a Good Lens Cleaner

Reaction score
My 2 year old got her dirty little fingers ahold of my ND filters. I'm curious what is the best method to clean these? Any household stuff work or is there a cleaner out there that would be better?
I've got microfiber towels.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

you can use a lint free cloth, but personally i use a lens cleaning pen to make sure i dont' scratch it.
I just looked at some lens cleaning pens. I'm going to order one. But I need something a little more heavy duty. Got some stuff caked on them. Do they scratch that easy?
Hope they're not ruined.

Dish soap, warm water, lint free cloth. I'm presuming your protege marked the lens cover - the clear protector than unscrews to show you the naked objective lens. If that's the case, unscrew it and soak it in a dilute solution of dish soap and water. Even if it is gunked on chocolate ice cream, it should loosen after time.

Worst case scenario and the cover is scratched - new ones are cheap.

Dish soap, warm water, lint free cloth. I'm presuming your protege marked the lens cover - the clear protector than unscrews to show you the naked objective lens. If that's the case, unscrew it and soak it in a dilute solution of dish soap and water. Even if it is gunked on chocolate ice cream, it should loosen after time.

Worst case scenario and the cover is scratched - new ones are cheap.
Thanks. I'm going to try dawn. Its basically all six of my Polar Pro ND filters. That's not cheap for me. I paid $120. Thanks again.

That and then wipe with the microfibre should work.

Thanks. I'm going to try dawn. Its basically all six of my Polar Pro ND filters. That's not cheap for me. I paid $120. Thanks again.

ALL of them? Ouch. It could have been worse, I suppose. She could have tried to see why the gimbal won't rotate 360 degrees....

I agree with the warm water comment, you don't necessarily need soap though, you may even want to soak them in a contact lens solution first. Let them air dry and use a lenspen or micro fiber cloth to finish it. I personally have something to blow the dust off if I need to in the field, a set of microfiber cloths, a lenspen, and a set of "Mobile Cloths". The mobile cloths are cool because they can wipe away oil from your tablet screen but I don't use them for my filters because they can leave small statically charged particles behind, not really noticeable on the tablet but on the filter it is a problem. The mobile cloths also allegedly wipe away bacteria sanitizing your display as well. You should use the bulb duster to blow away dust, then use the brush side of a lens pen to wipe away dust that won't blow away. Then use a micro fiber cloth to wipe away dust that won't brush away. Then use the lenspen to clean any oil/fingerprints off the lense.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl