In Canada, after June 1st. what are you likely to face?

Border Update:

I just returned from a quick trip across the border and here is what I was told about drones on BOTH sides of the border:

1. If you are a Canadian taking your drone into the United States-
Today, Homeland Security and Border officials told me that you should bring your Pilot Certification AND your drone registration documentation with you.
While in the United States, you should follow current FAA drone regulations.

NOTE:

Prior to entering the US, you should stop in to Canada Border Services and show them your drone and have them document the fact that you own the drone and did not purchase it in the United States. CBS officials will record your drone's serial number, its manufacturer, and the model.
In the end, you will be issued a 'green card' which will allow you to take your drone back and forth across the border without anyone ever questioning if you bought it in the States.

2. If you are an American bringing a drone into Canada-

Currently, Canada Border Services officials have not been given any direction from Transport Canada. However, the official I was talking to suggested that, for now, Americans should bring their FAA pilot certification documentation with them. While in Canada, American drone pilots should follow Canadian drone regulations.
It is expected that, in the days ahead, Transport Canada will be providing guidance to Canada Border Services with respect to Americans bringing their drones into this country.
This is the latest information coming from both sides of the border.

Lol @Hendricks. I much prefer my black P4P over the white P4P due the the visibility factor...that white disappears far too quickly.
VLOS is subjective for sure.
What is not subjective is flying over crowds, within 100' (30m) of bystanders near manned aircraft (Helicopters most likely) and close to aerodromes. Also, the recreational limit is 300' in Canada. **New rules will be 400'** Commercially if your SFOC, like ours, says otherwise, your limits may vary. Further to this, if flying under an SFOC in Class C airspace it is up to the operator to let you know any additional restrictions.

Links for new Canadian rules effective June 1st 2019 is another great thread.

And thanks for the border update.

Last edited:
*me flying my drone out of sight while officer approaches*
Officer - "can you see your drone?"
Me - "No drone, this is a simulator for android... graphics are amazing arent they??!"
officer - "here in the park?"
Me - "it adds to the emersion... like that pokemon game..."
officer - "oh yeah...." *nodding unknowingly before leaving me alone*
Me - "Have a good day officer!"
*wait until the coast is clear to land it out of sight and GTFO*

Reactions: 3DSurveyor
*me flying my drone out of sight while officer approaches*
Officer - "can you see your drone?"
Me - "No drone, this is a simulator for android... graphics are amazing arent they??!"
officer - "here in the park?"
Me - "it adds to the emersion... like that pokemon game..."
officer - "oh yeah...." *nodding unknowingly before leaving me alone*
Me - "Have a good day officer!"
*wait until the coast is clear to land it out of sight and GTFO*
Hilarious! :)

Too funny..... :)

Reactions: Dr_VonDuck
I'm newbie to drone and only have couple of hours in air.
Just for the kick I took the advanced certification test (without preparation) and failed big time (54%!)

I am considering going with the basic cert (but would still like to go for advanced). Where can I read free self-study prep doc for those exams.
And what can I do extra with the advanced vs basic cert.

I'm newbie to drone and only have couple of hours in air.
Just for the kick I took the advanced certification test (without preparation) and failed big time (54%!)

I am considering going with the basic cert (but would still like to go for advanced). Where can I read free self-study prep doc for those exams.
And what can I do extra with the advanced vs basic cert.
Seen this video on YouTube. I think it will help alot.

What about advanced?
I think the drone manufacture need to declare to RPAS Safety Assurance (which dji doest at this moment. Work in progress...

I doubt that 'being approached' by police is going to happen. Police have a lot on their plates already so other than responding to a complaint from somebody, there is little chance that a police officer would worry about a hobbyist flying a drone.

Beginning June 1st, this year, you are required to hold a Drone Pilot's Certificate if you want to fly your Phantom or any other type of quadcopter or drone.
Transport Canada is offering 2 types of piloting certificates: Basic and Advanced.
In addition to the requirement to hold a piloting certificate, your drone must also be registered with Transport Canada and the assigned registration number be displayed on your aircraft.......
All this beginning June 1st, this year.

I would have to say in response to an earlier post about police not being too concerned about someone flying their drone around.

My feeling is that, after June 1st, there will be a very good chance that a police officer will stop by if they see you out with your Phantom or whatever drone you have in the air.
The reason why I say that is because Transport Canada directives will be circulated to local , regional and federal police forces across Canada and drone pilot certification will be on the radar screen for police departments everywhere. Especially so given a spate of negative media coverage dealing with drones and people being irresponsible with them.
It is absolutely true that police departments have a lot on their plate and it may very well be only a few cases where drone pilots are checked by police.
But, do you want to be one of the few that are caught without proper documentation for you or your drone?
Because it's a $1,000 fine for the first infraction.

Seems to me that it's a lot cheaper to register your drone and take(and pass) the Basic Drone Pilot's Certification exam than get hit with that $1,000 fine.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
I would have to say in response to an earlier post about police not being too concerned about someone flying their drone around.

My feeling is that, after June 1st, there will be a very good chance that a police officer will stop by if they see you out with your Phantom or whatever drone you have in the air.
The reason why I say that is because Transport Canada directives will be circulated to local , regional and federal police forces across Canada and drone pilot certification will be on the radar screen for police departments everywhere. Especially so given a spate of negative media coverage dealing with drones and people being irresponsible with them.
It is absolutely true that police departments have a lot on their plate and it may very well be only a few cases where drone pilots are checked by police.
But, do you want to be one of the few that are caught without proper documentation for you or your drone?

Seems to me that it's a lot cheaper to register your drone and take(and pass) the Basic Drone Pilot's Certification exam than get hit with that $1,000 fine.
Couldn't agree more!

I was not advocating not having proper documentation for the drone or a licence to operate it, and that was not the intent of my post. Then again I hope you really don't believe that the first offence will result in the maximum fine of $1000. This NEVER happens in Canada and even repeat offenders will not be punished with the max.

Other than a traffic patrol or a blitz (seatbelt, distacted driving) for which certain illegal behaviour is patrolled, the majority of police attendance is complaint based and that is not going to change anytime soon. No matter what media attention negative or otherwise. A complaint about dangerous flying or flying in an area deemed dangerous might result in police attendance but even then the response will be priority dependant.

The majority of Canadians won't be aware of the changes after 1 June and they are not going to be the complainers. As noted in other threads, the mostly likely person to lodge a complaint will be another nosey drone pilot that coughed up $10 and wants to make sure everyone else did as well.

Anyone that thinks otherwise simply doesn't understand common policing in Canada.

i wrote my exam and passed the basic test..and as the gentleman above said it wasnt easy..they asked some questions that had nothing at all to do with drones

Any police officer will be more than content to see that you have a pilot certificate and that your Phantom is properly registered. All this beginning June 1st, this year.

What about liability insurance? If it's like auto it's of the first things they'll ask you for. And what is happening with DJI's RPAS Safety Assurance declaration submissions to TC? Can somebody from DJI answer this question since this forum is dedicated to their products and this stipulation may/will/can be critical for "legal" future flights. Only the following have been approved to date:

AERYON LABS INC.SKYRANGER - Rotary wing,
DELAIR SASUX11- Fixed wing
DELAIR SASDT18 - Fixed wing
DELAIR SASDT26X - Fixed wing
DRAGANFLY INC.X4ES - Rotary wing
DRAGANFLY INC.X4P - Rotary wing
DRAGANFLY INC.GUARDIAN - Rotary wing
DRAGANFLY INC.COMMANDER - Rotary wing
DRONE DELIVERY CAN. CORP.SPARROW X1000 -Rotary wing ENVIRODRONE LTD.EXPLORER - Fixed wing
ENVIRODRONE LTD.SPEXTER - Rotary wing
EPOC UNMANNED INC.STRYDER MK-II - Rotary wing
EPOC UNMANNED INC.STRYDER MK-I - Rotary wing
INDRO ROBOTICSM210C - Rotary wing
INDRO ROBOTICSSCOUT MKIII - Rotary wing
INFINITE JIBNEXUS - Rotary wing
INFINITE JIBSURVEYOR 630 - Rotary wing
INFINITE JIBORION - Rotary wing
INTEL CORPORATIONFALCON 8+ - Rotary wing
KESPRY INC.KESPRY DRONE 1.0 - Rotary win
LOCKHEED MARTININDAGO 2 - Rotary wing
LOCKHEED MARTININDAGO 3 - Rotary wing