IMPORTANT: DJI Go app 2.50/2.51 enables GEO functionality

DJI GO APP (Android Beta Version)

Release note:

1. Updated restricted areas. Users will be alerted when operating their aerial system in an Authorization Zone.

2. Self-authorization system allows users with verified DJI accounts to unlock Authorization Zones for unrestricted flight. Verification requires a valid mobile phone number OR credit card

I highlighted the OR....................... is it just one or the other? No CC required? Just a valid mobile phone?

A friend of mine is a beta tester. He just revealed to me that in future it will be necessary to pay to unlock flight zones that are yellow at present. That's why they want your card / phone details. For billing.

****,,, this pile of poop just keeps getting bigger and bigger...

WHAT ARE WE ALL TO DO? I have a helipad less than half a mile from my house for the local hospital in a very small town. They might get 5 flights a month. I just don't want to be BLOCKED from flying without having to drive into the country. I downloaded the B4UFLY app, and I am still in the yellow and they request that I contact the tower if one is available. There is no tower or contact number for the helipad.
I have 2 hospital helipads less then 5 miles from my house.
Neither one shows as a NFZ with 1.6 and 2.5 iOS on my P3P.
They do show in B4UFLY.
They only NFZ's that show are actual Airports not the Helipads.
YMMV
I was pretty glad to see that.

Reactions: schroeder1959
Ah, found another nugget...................................

Restricted Zone. In these Zones, which appear red the DJI GO app, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is prevented. Example Restricted Zone: Washington D.C. If you believe you have authorization to operate in a Restricted Zone, please contact [email protected]

Is it worth buying a p3p at this point? I hate to say It but its not worth 1200$ if you have to worry about whether or not DJI will let you fly it.
In my region, the new GEO system will actually allow flying in more areas. Currently red NFZ's are dead zones with no way to start the engines. The new GEO yellow NFZ's are the same as the current red NFZ's in my region, so there is now the opportunity to fly there with proper authorizations.
If the system is adding additional new yellow NFZ's in regions that currently don't have Red NFZ's, then that would be where the problems are going to be.
In theory you should already be doing the proper notifications in the new Green zones now, but I suspect that most pilots are not currently so the warning popup will just be a nuisance.

I don't see how they can force it on you. You fly in airplane mode right? You never connect your go-app to the internet right? I'm still running 1.3.2 because that's what worked, 1.4.01 didn't so when I reverted to 1.3.2 and everything worked like normal, I stayed here. Nothing of mine updates without permission and my P3/ RC has no internet contact with the outside :)
We'll eventually you'll have to connect the go app to the Internet for maps and stuff...how long can one keep an app offline!

I think it's kind of like the old west 1800's where we shot first and asked questions later.................... for the Chinese companies! They are just not on top of these firmware roll-outs like they should be. The consequences are HUGE for their customers, and it seems no matter how many times they flub it up, they still don't learn from it. I know there is a price we pay for being on the cutting edge of this technology, but they really need to get a handle on what they release and when.
The gap is in testing and quality control. These are things America learned over 100 years ago in the manufacturing industry. Even so, America has not always followed the right path but we created the path before most nations and in most industries on earth.

UNLOCKING AN AUTHORIZATION ZONE WITH A DJI VERIFIED ACCOUNT

Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service. Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone.

When your aerial system approaches, or is already within, an Authorization Zone, you will be prompted with a warning and the opportunity to unlock the Zone.

For this reason, we have not categorized heliports, seaplane bases, private airstrips, and other similar locations as Authorization Zones. GEO will in some cases provide a warning to the user when operating in the vicinity of these locations, as a precaution, and some of these locations may be displayed on the map in DJI GO for informational purposes with an icon. Airports categorized as Authorization Zones in the United States include public airports, those that have a control tower, and those that have a published instrument flight procedure. Please always check official sources and charts and come to your own decision about how to address any nearby location with aviation activities.

I have 2 hospital helipads less then 5 miles from my house.
Neither one shows as a NFZ with 1.6 and 2.5 iOS on my P3P.
They do show in B4UFLY.
They only NFZ's that show are actual Airports not the Helipads.
YMMV
I was pretty glad to see that.
Thank you, that's GREAT NEWS!!! :)

Will GEO prevent me from flying in places where I could fly before?

We are expanding the number and types of areas that are included, but also providing a self-authorizing unlock feature. That means, by simply using a verified account, you will actually be able to fly in more locations than you can today under our current system, including indoor locations that happen to be near airports. You may need to complete a few additional steps, but we think that extra work helps increase awareness of safety concerns. If you aren’t able to unlock an area, it may be because your location is particularly sensitive (such as the area near Washington, D.C.), or because the regulations have changed.

Yes this fix works. In fact I didn't even have to reboot. I just fired up my app this afternoon and all was back to normal. The yellow zones which were appearing as NFZ yesterday are no longer on the map at all, just red zones around the 3 local airports and sports stadium.

It appears they fixed it on the server side for the time being.

Now to reschedule a trip to the area I was yesterday and couldn't fly.
People are still posting like this is still broken, which is understandable since this thread is so long. Just wanted to give this a bump so people don't still think there's a problem. Can anyone report that it is still not fixed?

Well it look like National Parks are Red Zones which means, contrary to most legal opinions, not only can you not take off or land in a National Park, DJI and Airmap will keep you from overflight also.

Actually that is not the case. I live next to one and it is NOT a red zone.

I actually just had a conversation with Brendan this evening.

He truly, truly does care and is committed to keeping the experience excellent. They are fixing this as fast as possible and do understand. I think they just need to communicate that better.

But I feel 100% better after our conversation. I truly do.

As you could see from my previous posts, I was skeptical. But I think things will be resolved very soon in a way that will make everyone feel better.

We'll eventually you'll have to connect the go app to the Internet for maps and stuff...how long can one keep an app offline!
The gps still works, it posts the flight on the map page, you just don't see the lay of the land without the map system, you see the actual land through the camera and can easily pin point where you are with USGS maps if needed. The pointer still tells you the way it's pointing, I don't see a need to ever connect being that I am flying higher then whatever is on the map. I use the camera to see where I am if needed and there are no street signs :)

Actually that is not the case. I live next to one and it is NOT a red zone.

I actually just had a conversation with Brendan this evening.

He truly, truly does care and is committed to keeping the experience excellent. They are fixing this as fast as possible and do understand. I think they just need to communicate that better.

But I feel 100% better after our conversation. I truly do.

As you could see from my previous posts, I was skeptical. But I think things will be resolved very soon in a way that will make everyone feel better.

Wow there are just too many different maps out there all allegedly using the same data and colors. Good to know the National Parks are not red zones.

Can anyone confirm this fix on the dji forum works for firmware 1.6 with iOS 2.5 in the app:

DJI Forum|DJI GO App and Sudden NFZ's Problem

"Those that have reposted the sudden apperance of NFZ's after updating to Go App 2.5, please do the following.. It seems to have been a server issue that is now resolved..

1. Please connect mobile device to the Internet.
2. Turn on craft and should be on P-GPS mode, please make sure craft has solid GPS lock.
3. Please make sure that RC and mobile device is connected to craft..

Wait for 1-5 min, and try to reboot the App to check."

I live in a yellow zone, so want to know below upgrading if the above fix works...
I tried these steps and confirm that all unwanted NFZs disappeared except the ones which were real airports.

I can fly now at many places :)

Not sure how long this would remain like this.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452657084.627295.jpg

I observed that after updating App to 2.5 version, it became difficult to get GPS lock. Not sure if this is coincidental as I see lots of clouds tonight. It used to quickly see almost 18 satellites but tonight it got just 8 satellites that too with difficulty.

Last edited:
Going to hang back and not update for a bit.

Well it look like National Parks are Red Zones which means, contrary to most legal opinions, not only can you not take off or land in a National Park, DJI and Airmap will keep you from overflight also.

It's been Illegal to fly any UAV in national parks for a few years now.

I never powered upcraft yesterday, and deleted updated app from phone.
I rolled back my app from itunes to 2.4.3
Craft is at 1.3.50 ? Which surprises me, cause I swear I just updated it 1 week ago?

But bottom line is, I just braved elements (3 degrees F here) and flew no problems. I am on the new app/map as yellow(right on the fringe by .25 mile, but indeed in yellow. No warnings no nothing, flew like always.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor