image transmission (lack of)

Reaction score
Been messing with both the RC and checking the copter out. Watching more vids on the phantom. So I powered everything up, both the RC and the copter. Took off the brace to the camera and the rubber grommet. Have the software on the iPad up and running. Will get about a 1 or 2 second picture from copter to iPad then I get a warning that there is no image transmission available.

Have rechecked everything a couple of times but to no avail. Am I missing something? Haven't put the props on or flown it yet. Have gone through the simulator a few times.

Just can't get the camera to send a picture (except that 1 or 2 sec initial startup.

Thing is, I get that initial picture on the iPad but it is short and then indicates "no signal transmission".

Thoughts or suggestions?

Been messing with both the RC and checking the copter out. Watching more vids on the phantom. So I powered everything up, both the RC and the copter. Took off the brace to the camera and the rubber grommet. Have the software on the iPad up and running. Will get about a 1 or 2 second picture from copter to iPad then I get a warning that there is no image transmission available.

Have rechecked everything a couple of times but to no avail. Am I missing something? Haven't put the props on or flown it yet. Have gone through the simulator a few times.

Just can't get the camera to send a picture (except that 1 or 2 sec initial startup.

Thing is, I get that initial picture on the iPad but it is short and then indicates "no signal transmission".

Thoughts or suggestions?
Do you remove the gimbal clamp( assume you call it brace) before you power up the aircraft? The camera and gimbal need to be free prior to powering on as is it does it's calibration movement on powerup. Don't know what you refer to as rubber grommet.
Our procedure is remove the gimbal clamp, power the aircraft, power the RC and iPad.

Phantom 4 pro v. 2.

Yes I removed the gimbal clamp...tied a ribbon on it per instructions to remind me to do so via this forum. I also removed a rubber housing above the gimbal clamp that had a "remove before flight" sticker. on it. A rubber housing above the gimbal was taken off. When I start it up it articulates back and forth, then sends a brief picture for about a second or 2 then stops. Then I get the message no video transmission available.

Just turned both the RC and copter on....first thing I got on remote was that I needed an update. First time I have seen that come up. Took about 2 or 3 minutes for update and now I can get picture from camera to RC constantly. When I use the c1 button to rotate the gimbal mount (camera) it only moves about 10 degrees left and right. Is this normal? I would think you would have more range to the left or right with the camera.

just thought of something...would it be possible since I have the copter set for "beginner" the ability of the camera to move left and right has a governor set on it? What if I take it out of "beginner" mode my ability to go left and right be increased?

Last edited:
Incompatibility between the encoder and decoder? Make sure RC and AC have matching firmware.
Or maybe the encoder is faulty. There are no board pictures of this drone on O-Gs wiki, so no idea which chip is an encoder. In standard Ph4, it was Ambarella.
Ambarella was sometimes restarting because it didn't liked the SD-card - try removing it.

Reactions: drifter106
Let’s verify that you have a V2. I’ve seen other posts that lead me to believe that these two variations (V1 verses V2)can be overlooked.
V2 will have a gold DJI sticker on the top center of the aircraft. Also the controller will have vent holes (GL300L)at the bottom section.
The left right (yaw) movement of the camera cannot be controlled via the controller. Only roll movement(up and down)can be directed via the controller. The slight yaw of the camera is normal with left or right stick input. Left scroll wheel will provide roll movement and you can adjust the speed of that movement in camera settings.
Also, is this a used unit or new in box?
iPad that’s being used is what model?

Last edited:
C1 C2 can be set to do several choices. Camera up/down is one but yaw left/rt is not. Under remote settings.

This is a new one straight out of the box....

Have the cheapest version of iPad...released in Sept of 2020, screen size is 10.2. Has the same chip as a iPhone 8+. Believe it is a bionic 12 chip. There are vents on the front of the RC....the box it came in indicates that it is v. 2.

Can verify that the left or right stick input is minimal (yaw). Thats what I was asking about...it only moves 5 to 10 degrees left or right. Can control the roll movemt via the controllers. I thought the yaw movement could by controlled to at around 90 degrees left or right (yaw).

So consequently, if you want your camera to focus the picture left or right....the copter must TURN left or right. If you do that won't your flight path be altered?

Let’s verify that you have a V2. I’ve seen other posts that lead me to believe that these two variations (V1 verses V2)can be overlooked.
V2 will have a gold DJI sticker on the top center of the aircraft. Also the controller will have vent holes (GL300L)at the bottom section.
The left right (yaw) movement of the camera cannot be controlled via the controller. Only roll movement(up and down)can be directed via the controller. The slight yaw of the camera is normal with left or right stick input. Left scroll wheel will provide roll movement and you can adjust the speed of that movement in camera settings.
Also, is this a used unit or new in box?
iPad that’s being used is what model?

Yes, aircraft would need to turn to move camera left or right.
And yes, you would be altering path from straight ahead.
You may want to try a different cable between the controller and iPad. Some are better than others.

Took about 2 or 3 minutes for update and now I can get picture from camera to RC constantly.
Glad you got the image transmission sorted out.

the gimbal mount (camera) only moves about 10 degrees left and right. Is this normal? I would think you would have more range to the left or right with the camera.
As was noted, this is normal. Otherwise, you’d get the landing gear in your shots. The AC itself rotates in the air to get more left / right.

If you do that won't your flight path be altered?
No, not necessarily. Your AC rotates yes, but you can still continue along the same flight path. Of course your view is altered, and you need to understand and be able to seamlessly change the direction of your stick movements as the AC is rotating.

Reactions: JoBe and drifter106
it appears then that everything is up to par...need to go over a few more things and videos...then put the props on and take it for a short excursion.

thanks people for helping out....

old newbie here!!! lol

it appears then that everything is up to par...need to go over a few more things and videos...then put the props on and take it for a short excursion.

thanks people for helping out....

old newbie here!!! lol
I would suggest you let the forum know where you live and see if there is someone here who can go out with you the first time, so you don't make all the dumb mistakes that we made.

I live in southeast Kansas....don't know of anyone around here that has one...would be willing to travel some distance if someone would want to make the effort to meet and help with first flight.

Good suggestion cneedelman...thanks!

You also might try a new thread with the heading Hello from Southeast Kansas. You will get welcomes from lots of people and possibly help.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic