I'm writing an overview of video editing software used by DJI drone owners. Willing to contribute?

In case you have no time, please choose one of the following pieces of software:

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm working on an article about video editing software used by DJI drone owners. I hope it's not too bold to ask for a little bit of contribution here.

I'm trying to understand, what parameters are the most important when choosing video editing software, and if there is anything particular drone owners care about.

I'll be happy to use any comments on that topic, and more specifically to get a better picture of the following:
  • What video editing software do you use?
  • How/why did you choose it?
  • What are the top feature(s) you use most actively?
  • What video formats and codecs do you usually use for export?
I'm in no way affiliated with DJI or any other drone manufacturer, but if you have any comments on specific drone models in terms of video editing - please feel free to add them.

Thank you for participating, I appreciate it a lot.

Reactions: MEGFilmworks
I'm new to drones and not very computer savvy. I wish there was more information for people like me to get started. So far, everything I've seen reads like you're already pretty knowledgeable about editing. I wish someone can put out a "editing for dummies" type of video.

Reactions: Tommy J 111
I use CyberLink Power Director 15 (Which isn't up there^^^!). I record 99% of the time in MP4 1080p 30fps and upload to YouTube. It's all quite seamless.

I bought the editing program online as a download, direct from CyberLink. I chose it as it ticked most of the boxes I needed like editing MP4, direct upload function to YouTube, fairly easy to use User Interface, Timeline, Media Import, etc.

It cost about $50, from memory, which is reasonable for an amateur doing YouTube uploads.

All the Post features like Contrast, Saturation, Sound Volume, Transitions, etc are all quite easy to adjust on each video clip on the timeline in Power Director 15 as well as the 'Apply to All' function, if needed.

Another reason I selected Power Director 15 was the multi-cam ability. I also record with a camcorder on a tripod so it's a nice function to be able to edit in sync.

I personally don't record in 4K due to the longer rendering times, etc., and I've no 4K monitor anyway!

I've a Phantom 4.

I use Premiere Pro and After Effects because I have them and use them anyway. There's nothing specific for video from a drone vs. video from any other source. Video editing is video editing.

Final Cut Pro with a 4K workflow.

Shooting music videos the Phantom 4 Pro is a tool that has to coexist with my usual workflow.
Wish Phantom had ProRes as transcoding is a lousy way to import. Especially 4K @ 59.94

Other than that. Very pleased with quality of the 4K camera and gimbal. It has image quirks but learning to work around them.

And as a Commercial Pilot I love flying it!!

Thank you all for contributing! I've been gathering information from several communities and YouTubers working with drone footage - now I will be working on the material. If it's fine, I'll publish the link here, once the article is live.

So far, the following pieces video editing software have been mentioned the most:
  • DaVinci Resolve
  • Adobe Premiere Pro
  • VSDC Free Video Editor
  • Sony Vegas
  • Wondershare
I'll be reviewing them and a couple more tools in the article.
Again, thank you all. I'll be happy to receive more information, if you have anything else to add.

I'm new to drones and not very computer savvy. I wish there was more information for people like me to get started. So far, everything I've seen reads like you're already pretty knowledgeable about editing. I wish someone can put out a "editing for dummies" type of video.
Hm, I think you should probably start with basic linear video editing software. Movie Maker will do, actually. Have you checked it out?

Well, I started out with iMovie. Then I wanted a bit more than that, as I felt iMovie has its limitation so moved to FCPX. Between FCPX and Adobe Premiere Pro CC is how I do my video editing shot in 4K h.265.

Today, I was pleasantly surprised to learn, for those Mac users, Mac OSX is going to natively support h.265 encoding. Means that my work flow is going to be streamlined dramatically.

Did some video years ago using Premier and loved it.

Just started doing some video again after acquiring a P3S. Using DaVinci Resolve 12.5 at the moment, mostly because it's free. It seemed a little clunky at first, the more I use it the more I like it. It's definitely great software for color grading but my memory of Premiere recalls it being a better NL Editor. Definitely can't beat Resolves price!

You didn't list Premiere Elements. I use it because it is relatively inexpensive and was easy enough for me to become functional in a short time.

I do a lot of photography and mainly use Lightroom. But I couldn't do in Premiere Elements (with video) most of the color correction functions Lightroom offers (with photos). So I have been using Davinci Resolve 12.5. Excepting hardware-related performance issues, Resolve has been great. It opened up a whole new world.

Davinci Resolve, it's free with many great features. Plus it can use GPU acceleration.

Excellent write-up. Thanks for sharing it here.

Reactions: Niky and Nina_DG
ok I am very new to this topic and want to learn. I just got my phantom 3 standard, it is my 1st camera drone. I have my computer windows 10 and not sure if I have movie editing software installed. I can download and view my drones video, just did not see any editing tabs. So I am interested in a software preferably free, that lets me edit and add music. thanks for the help and this thread editing for dummies would be a great seller put me on the list!

ok I am very new to this topic and want to learn. I just got my phantom 3 standard, it is my 1st camera drone. I have my computer windows 10 and not sure if I have movie editing software installed. I can download and view my drones video, just did not see any editing tabs. So I am interested in a software preferably free, that lets me edit and add music. thanks for the help and this thread editing for dummies would be a great seller put me on the list!
Hey there!
I'd say, if you are a newbie and never edited videos before, you should start with Movie Maker. Most definitely you have it pre-installed on your PC, and if not - simply download it from Windows store. It's easy.
For simple cutting and adding music to your video, MovieMaker will be just fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20