I'm upgrading to a Phantom 3 standard

I just filmed a Rugby tournament last month. I hate working in 4K as a rule but it was perfect for a sports event.

Funny... I'm a sports photographer here in RI and I have been shooting a local rugby team for their last 3 games... thought about using my Phantom, but I hate to be a distraction. I guess I could have shot in 4k with the GoPro and zoom in to 1080p as you did.. wish I thought of that... :(

In the urban landscape a responsible pilot is supposed to see his uav at all times. I can understand those vids you see of people going 2+ miles away, if you notice those guys or gals are in rural areas.

Honestly, no matter what my bird would be equipped with, I don't think I'd EVER let it go where I can't see it... lol...

Players say it was no distraction. I also HAD a 3DR Solo. Way too noisy to fly at a game.

Players say it was no distraction. I also HAD a 3DR Solo. Way too noisy to fly at a game.

I am a computer technician for a school department here in RI, and I shoot a lot of their high school sports. People here know I have a Phantom now and are saying I should use it to shoot outdoor sports, but I'd be afraid of being a distraction. I guess I need to learn about video editing now.. lol

Reactions: AmosMoses
I'm perfectly happy with the specs on my advanced. I mostly shoot stills anyway. What I'm waiting for is the phantom 3 heavy duty shell version that does not crack after twenty some odd flights. DJI must be working on it since if so many of their resources are spent in bringing out new product, surely they must have a couple a couple of guys doing the hard work of developing a fuselage made of better, thicker plastic.

Reactions: AlmostTan
Wonder how most wound feel if someone produced a booster That would get you Lightbridge distance or better for 200 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well... for me this whole post is moot. I got my P2 from DroneCamp, and they just said I couldn't exchange it for the Standard (even though I'm edging for the Advanced anyway). I find it strange that I can't return it after only a week and a half....

This is the same thing I have to do. I have over 30gbs of raw video on my PC spanning from my first P2,P2+,P2+V3,P3A, to my I1 and guess I need to start doing something with it!!

Yikes!! Good luck with that!! lol...

In the urban landscape a responsible pilot is supposed to see his uav at all times. I can understand those vids you see of people going 2+ miles away, if you notice those guys or gals are in rural areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not debating that seeing your UAV in an urban area is responsible. That is not LOS, a term that is used here incorrectly a lot.

Do many folks use these only in an urban setting?
Honestly, no matter what my bird would be equipped with, I don't think I'd EVER let it go where I can't see it... lol...

I have been flying over my golf course, trying to get some decent footage. I cannot see the bird as it get to some of the further holes. In fact, it is hard to see when it gets 500 yards out, which is the length of the first hole alone. I won't say it does not make me nervous. That said, if it decides to crash, drop from the sky or fly away what good is seeing it going to do?

FYI: The course is a links style course (sorta) -- very few trees. I keep the phantom well above the few trees in the area. There are a few holes that I will walk out to in order to film because they are tree lined, and I do not want to film from that high.

Definitely going to upgrade to the new phantom 3 standard unless you can give me a good reason why not too. I don't care about the range im sure 95% of you on here don't fly over .5m anyway.
I would love to have longer range. I would love to be able to go about 3 miles in the city. Depends on where you live. If you take it to a big city it would be nice to find a park and then kick back and take pictures hovering over the city. No need to worry about parking..LOL

FYI: The course is a links style course (sorta) -- very few trees. I keep the phantom well above the few trees in the area. There are a few holes that I will walk out to in order to film because they are tree lined, and I do not want to film from that high.

Any pics or video of the golf course?

Ok... so I'm 2 weeks in as an owner of a Phantom 2 NV with Zenmuse H4-3D for my GoPro. I am REALLY tempted to exchange it for the 3 Standard. Do you all think it's a worthy option? The only reason I went with the P2 was because I didn't want to think I was wasting the GoPro (and that I couldn't afford the P3 anyway...).

Thoughts?
DON'T exchange.
The major problem on these phantoms is you can't upgrade the camera! with your system you can.

bbfpv hit it on the head. The P3A is on a different level than this new model.

You are not using the term line of sight correctly. As you can see below, it does not say anything about maintaining a visual of your aircraft.

Definition of LINE OF SIGHT
1: a line from an observer's eye to a distant point
2: the line between two points; specifically : the straight path between a transmitting antenna (as for radio or television signals) and a receiving antenna when unobstructed by the horizon

He used it correctly. And the definition from Merriam-Webster you used does say something about maintaining a visual.

"a line from an observer's eye to a distant point".

LOS in regards to FAA recommendations is most certainly referring to maintaining visual sight of your aircraft.

Whats the difference between the phantom3 standard and the advance?

Main one is lightbridge on the advanced, WiFi on the standard. The standard has it's live feed sent via WiFi to your preferred device with the aid of a range extender residing inside the transmitter. Figure about 1km range. On the advanced, it's the same system as on the inspire 1. Far better live feed and good for about 2km range or more depending on ambient conditions. I got 2.8 with my advanced today near Venice over the water which always helps with range. Something else I'd like to add is that lightbridge is far, far less sensitive to not having the transmitter pointing to the phantom when far from you. With WiFi, at 1km, you better make **** sure that the controller is at the optimal position for transmission. At one km in the advanced you could literally be sideways to it and live feed is fine. Only after 1.8 it starts to get sensitive but you could still get away with 30 degree offset. I prefer the advanced since I feel it's a bargain. If only I could get it in a stronger shell that isn't prone to stress cracks...o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: skyhighdiver

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj