I'm sorry I'm tired of the tilted horizon

Reaction score
This morning I woke up at 530 to shoot the sunrise at my pier. It was incredible. BUT.. that horizon is killing me! Sometimes it's straight mostly it's off. None of the calibrations and in flight fixes helped. So frustrating. Are most of us experiencing this?

I'll post a couple pictures shortly.

This morning I woke up at 530 to shoot the sunrise at my pier. It was incredible. BUT.. that horizon is killing me! Sometimes it's straight mostly it's off. None of the calibrations and in flight fixes helped. So frustrating. Are most of us experiencing this?

Have you checked the Follow/FPV setting? The button on the right back of the controller (in the default configuration) toggles this setting.

Checking you have the gimbal on follow is a good idea but yes, the tilted horizon is affecting many. An IMU calibration and gimbal calibration does ease the problem but after a while I notice it while flying and then it pops back level again.

You can certainly spot P3 footage on youtube these days by the horizon alone, its normally like a wave due to the lens distortion and tilted due to this problem.

Reactions: Adam Longman
Ive noticed it randomly throughout my videos/FPV.. It will be there after an turn.. then I'll make a yaw motion the other way and its gone.. Sometimes a gimbal calibration works, but it kind of shows up randomly near the beginning of a flight as if the gimbal has some lag randomly.

Yes, I also experience the tilted horizon. I've done all of the assorted calibrations, in flight and on the ground. I always need to use the gimbal roll adjustment which works for a few minutes but isn't "sticky" anyway.

Since sometimes it is level and sometimes it is not, post is much harder because you basically need to adjust the horizon in chunks rather than doing it all at once.

I've already given up all hope that I will ever have a level horizon.

Reactions: JoBe
Ive noticed it randomly throughout my videos/FPV.. It will be there after an turn.. then I'll make a yaw motion the other way and its gone.. Sometimes a gimbal calibration works, but it kind of shows up randomly near the beginning of a flight as if the gimbal has some lag randomly.

Same here.

Not sure why this is an issue as it's easy to fix. Stuff something under the low end of your monitor. Repeat as needed. Or, just tilt your head ever so slightly.

I corrected kine by proping up one side of the drone while doing a cool IMU gimbal calibration. I'm not condoning this but it worked for me.

Reactions: J0ck0
Not sure why this is an issue as it's easy to fix. Stuff something under the low end of your monitor. Repeat as needed. Or, just tilt your head ever so slightly.

I corrected kine by proping up one side of the drone while doing a cool IMU gimbal calibration. I'm not condoning this but it worked for me.
I remember when you did that during IMU. I had been planning to try the same, and then I saw your post and I wanted to try even more. Then I realized that it was sometimes straight and sometimes tilted perhaps depending on orientation. I figured that if I did the tilted IMU trick, it would fix the sometimes tilted and add a tilt to the sometimes straight. That sentence sounds so complicated.

I must be doing something wrong. My horizon is always level. Don't recall it ever being off. Maybe it is because I am surrounded by the Rocky Mountains and the horizon is lined with mountains, ironically none are horizontal.

Reactions: acherman
Do an IMU calibration on a level surface. Afterward do a gimbal calibration but have the P3 camera facing North (use your cell phone compass to figure out which was is north). Worked for me.

Mine was terrible until I did a cold (fridge) IMU calibration. I still have to do the occasional gimbal calibration but it's much better now. Not perfect, but acceptable.

do a gimbal calibration but have the P3 camera facing North

hmmm, I am going to try this tomorrow.

Mine was terrible until I did a cold (fridge) IMU calibration. I still have to do the occasional gimbal calibration but it's much better now. Not perfect, but acceptable.

Mine was as well. I put the bird in our data center at work all day (65F) then did my IMU cal. Horizon was good for about a week, then one day just went tits up.

Do an IMU calibration on a level surface. Afterward do a gimbal calibration but have the P3 camera facing North (use your cell phone compass to figure out which was is north). Worked for me.
Well, one thing I haven't tried is facing it North. Sounds oddly plausible. I think I'll give it a go. Thanks sir for the tip. I will report back once I get around to trying it.

Well, one thing I haven't tried is facing it North. Sounds oddly plausible. I think I'll give it a go. Thanks sir for the tip. I will report back once I get around to trying it.

Worked for me. My gimbal some times is slightly off if its windy.

I briefly scrolled through the replies - but have you used the gimbal tilt adjustment? With a cold IMU cal. and a gimbal cal. before every flight, I can't say it 's huge problem for me. That said sometimes it's not 100% perfect but the gimbal tilt adjustment is fantastic for a quick tweak in mid-flight.

Perhaps I'm a little spoiled with the P3 but with my P2 I was a huge PITA. I'd have to keep doing a IMU advance cal, while plugged up to the lap top, power down and unplug, go fly and check it, and do it again. So tweaking mid-flight with the P3 is incredible..... compared to the P2 anyway.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31