I'm really considering giving up my dream job...

These kind of jobs which are what I call "Glamour jobs" Typically have tons of people willing to work for free or pennies. I love photography it is my passion but I knew that it is not a viable career. I knew it was not a career 20 years ago and now I can say I was 100% correct with all the glut of photographic material on the internet from people working for free as "Citizen Pjs" or bloggers.

But my career let me make good money where at least I can travel the world and take pictures for my own enjoyment and not worry about where the next paycheck comes or end up homeless.

Keep it as a hobby, don't give up your day job. I enjoy flying my drone and the photographs and videos you can get out of them are amazing but i suspect like all glamor careers/jobs you would end up taking a rocky road to poverty. Stick to a well paying career, invest wisely and just enjoy flying as a hobby.

Wow - It is amazing to me that ALL of the agencies have that covered in this way. That being the case, you may want to consider simply becoming a regular exterior/interior real estate photographer, and ADD the drone work to your package offerings. This is exactly what I have done for years.

My area does not hold a candle to yours in terms of outdoor beauty (we have a couple of lakes and perhaps some nice country estates - that's it), but I could not survive on simply offering aerials (i.e., I would starve). That is to say, can you just do the regular photography and video tours, with drone work offered as a bonus? Works for me.

PS: MOST real estate agents are awful photographers, and even worse videographers. I'm glad about that.

The reason you see crap photos on listings is because agents would not pay for RE photographs. Photography in general I would consider a dead career path if you want to make more than Mcjob wages. With everyone doing it for free or pennies on the dollars.

Anyhow houses sell like hotcakes where I live. there are no homes for sale in my neighborhood for example, I was lucky to buy my neighbors house** out because I knew him and I gave him a solid offer. Pictures or no pictures people are buying houses outright sight unseen.

**(I did not want any neighbors next to my primary and wanted a mancavehouse)

It helps sell faster! imagine houses as cereal boxes. Do you look at the plane white one with black text or the colorful vibrant one?

****Ad removed*****

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not read all replies however you may want to look at doing Weddings as there are more weddings in a week than agents selling homes, then it comes to the person with the most experience wins. good luck

I have been in aerial photography for a long time and I can tell you that it is a great "part time" job.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1