I'm getting bored

I'm getting bored with flying in the same two or three open fields. I don't have a lot of flying experience under my belt but I'm still getting bored. I see a lot of you guys talk about flying every day almost. What types of things do you do to keep from getting bored. This is just a hobby for me so far. I don't have a job in video or photography like some of you do. Right now I'm flying for fun and just want to make some cool videos and learn to fly really well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can understand that because the same area for me was getting stale too.
I have been making it a point to have atleast one battery fully charged incase I leave my area and might locate a cool area worth filming.
Also, I'm an avid Geocacher and have been taking my Phantom with me when I go caching. I have been to some really cool places as a result of Geocaching that otherwise I would have never known such cool places existed.

This hobby is not meant for everyone. I have been flying rc for over 20 years and it's still awesome each time. I could care less about the videos or pictures. I fly because I enjoy flying(expecially fpv with headset). Everything else melts away, it's meditative. Anything to do with aviation and I'm in.

Seems like a lot of people buying phantoms and similar products use it as a camera platform. For example, many people love playing sports. I find sports extremely boring and repetitive. Before their were phantoms, people flew rc for the enjoyment of flight alone..Jmo.
You have nailed it on the head. I used to fly sailplanes and small planes. Children, responsibilities and time restrictions come into play. After the kids were grown I went back to being a private pilot, but my wife objected to the cost and safety issues. Drones are a way to fly vicariously. I usually fly by compass direction and avoid using RTH. I would rather turn around and fly back and manually land. Flying is freedom and a sense of wonder every time you take off plan and fly to a destination and return safely. Aerial photography is a necessary added feature and something pilots generally like to do. You need it for FPV so you feel like your flying a plane and you get to view it again and relive your flight. It doesn't matter what you fly. What matters is whether you look up whenever there is an aircraft overhead; whether you look at a beautiful calm sky with billowy clouds and say to yourself it is a beautiful day to fly and whether every time you get in a plane, even a large commercial one, you have a sense of wonder that man makes a machine that lets us break the bonds of gravity. If not, you will get bored and have a very expensive paperweight.

Reactions: Fitcherama
Yeah, pretty much. And it has retractable landing gear, a 360 camera and is a hex-copter. Seems like it's aimed kinda at the Inspire, almost.
Haha, if you can get bored with flying a RTF quad like a Phantom, then you should look into buying a Cheerson CX-20, because you will spend more time tinkering with it just to get it to fly correctly than actually flying it :D

(Spoken from my own personal experience).

I can't real all 4 pages and I'm sure this has been said but if you're bored and you enjoy the art of capturing images from the air, stop going to the same 2 spots and go to a spot that is interesting to you and get some images and/or videos that you will enjoy looking at, showing people, framing, selling, sharing or whatever.

Practice hand catching and rent a boat. Go to some ruins, go to an area where you know it's beautiful and shoot it. If you don't have the desire, then you just don't. I would be bored as hell just flying for no reason like you are saying you do.

What I have started doing since I also get scared of flying now is I'll actually go some place where I know there is a police officer (like Griffith Park in LA) and ask the officer if it's okay and show the cert on the bird and phone or badge and take his name in your head. Then if another cop bothers you, say "yes sir I'll take it down if you want, but officer Bob said okay" and since then my fear level (of confiscation) has gone down.

Sometimes, I'll take a week or more off just to reset. Some people just own one for hikes and vacations. As usual, forums represent the fanatics of any given category and the people on this forum fly way more than the average bear. If you own a great camera that costs $2500, you don't feel the need to use it daily, do you? You shouldn't have to with this either. It's just a flying camera at the end of the day.

Good luck and safe flying.

Dood......... you can't rain on my parade! :p

Yeah, I'll report back after testing.
I'll have my H this week too. Can't wait.

I see no problems with 22mph or 4000 feet actually if I can take some nice pics with it although I am a little worried about the CGO3 cam.

Right now I have 2 P4s and my second one I can't even go 4000 feet. So weird.

Don't get me wrong, I love my first P4, I have to go exchange the other one (unless I find out it's the mini) on Monday.

I like to fly over old cemeteries. So far I haven't killed anyone yet.
I do this as well and have hit jackpots with several of them scoring me a background shot of Manhattan for a powerfully dynamic shot. However, my main concern is not upsetting grieving visitors and that is harder than it looks with people coming and going all the time.

LMAO so one misplaced drone is going to cause a super eruption? Was Al Gore involved?
The theory goes some geysers underground are only a couple feet at the choke point. A large enough object could clog the mouth, and lead to a natural disaster as the pressure builds. As far as I know, no one can get close enough to the mouths of the main geysers like Old Faithful and when they attempt to do so, they either die (at least a few people die a year at Yellowstone) or get caught and arrested. However, I doubt coins could clog it but there is a possbility just erosion of dirt on the surface could clog it (like people trampling on it) and cause said disaster.

If your bored, I find that flying over prisons is always a rush. It always starts out with people wearing orange waving and laughing and cheering to drop that plastic package, and always ends up with sirens, search lights and lots of shooting and then the helicopter starts it's engines and only then do I remember not to fly too close to those helicopters with that search light thingy. Yeah I'ts crazy. The boredom seems to stop right about there. I guess you could try that! Or just sell me your phantom?

This hobby is not meant for everyone. I have been flying rc for over 20 years and it's still awesome each time. I could care less about the videos or pictures. I fly because I enjoy flying(expecially fpv with headset). Everything else melts away, it's meditative. Anything to do with aviation and I'm in.

Seems like a lot of people buying phantoms and similar products use it as a camera platform. For example, many people love playing sports. I find sports extremely boring and repetitive. Before their were phantoms, people flew rc for the enjoyment of flight alone..Jmo.
I agree with everything you've said here.

I may do just that! We have a huge National Wildlife Refuge near here, just waiting to have some killer videos made on it. But we cannot fly in Federal Parks!! It is beyond ridiculous!
And it's going to get worse.

Yesterday I read a thread which is devoted to some UK pilot's really excellent videos shot over the streets of London. Apart from some well-deserved complimentary comments on the quality of his captured images this pilot received a lot of criticism about potentially dangerous and unlawful flying.

Interestingly, just a few minutes ago (Sunday, 4/17 - 4PM) CNN reported the pilot of a passenger plane landing at a London airport said his plane was hit by a drone. Understandably, the British CAA and our FAA are poised to respond to such reports with increasingly repressive regulations and licensing requirements.

My feelings about this issue are ambivalent. While I do appreciate the potential for artistic achievement, and while I know there are many drone pilots who are eminently capable of safely flying their drones over crowded streets and other public gatherings, I can't ignore the inevitable presence and practices of brazenly irresponsible individuals who sooner or later will injure or cause the death of someone, which could bring about the virtual end of this now-flourishing hobby by making it not worth the effort.

I have for some time wondered why the Chinese have totally dominated the hobby drone industry. I am not aware of a single American entry into this obviously profitable enterprise. But I'm beginning to think the reason for it is the potential for significantly reduced sales volume brought on by federal use and possession constraints (similar to firearms). No American entity with the financial ability to seriously compete with the DJI and Yuneec is willing to risk developing a product the sale of which has outstanding potential to be made illegal or severely restricted.

And all it will take is one serious injury, or a death, brought about by one irresponsible, unconstrained individual with a potentially dangerous toy.

Nope, I do it myself on my land. It's more fun that way.

And yes, they are at epidemic numbers here in TX
When we take my rzr up to Huntsville we always see them on the side of the road. And yet we aren't supposed to take our Kimber .45s out with us on the trails! That's where I'd think you'd need to be packing, stuck in 4' of mud, got the land winch out, out of nowhere a pissed off 300lb monster coming at you? I'd rather be packing then not.....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

When we take my rzr up to Huntsville we always see them on the side of the road. And yet we aren't supposed to take our Kimber .45s out with us on the trails! That's where I'd think you'd need to be packing, stuck in 4' of mud, got the land winch out, out of nowhere a pissed off 300lb monster coming at you? I'd rather be packing then not.....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I love and always carry a 1911, but a .45 will probably do nothing more than piss a hog off. Think magnum rounds for protection from a walking mouthful of razor blades. .357 out to be enough, but more is better.

How about get more involved with the editing side of it ? Try new programs , new transitions , etc . Sometimes I find this more enjoyable learning new tricks.
Another thing , try the Litchi App and all it has to offer .

The only thing with the Litche app is I'm not sure it employs the object avoidance system. Anyone know? If not it's a shame.

The only thing with the Litche app is I'm not sure it employs the object avoidance system. Anyone know? If not it's a shame.
Might be a moot point . So far when I used the Litchi app , I've had it pointed at a POI and therefore flying sideways .
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I do the Orbit as well and you're right for that mode but here's a Waypoint flight I did Sunday and I misjudge the elevation coming away from the river and could have easily hit a tree on a hill here. The object avoidance would have come in handy. Just for the piece of mind.

I do the Orbit as well and you're right for that mode but here's a Waypoint flight I did Sunday and I misjudge the elevation coming away from the river and could have easily hit a tree on a hill here. The object avoidance would have come in handy. Just for the piece of mind.

Mine was a waypoint flight , not orbit. I cant figure out to get the ORBIT mode to load in the Mission Hub. No option there. I like to be prepared before I go to fly and setting up Orbit in the field is not an option I like .

I couldn't get the Orbit to load up either in the Mission Hub. That must be an omission. But it works fine setting it up on my tablet ahead of time. It seems to work just as well as DJI Go app if not better.

Thanks for the advice and ideas. I think I'm going fishing this weekend and want to get video of me while fly fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31