I'm done with dji and possibly drones all together

I think sandman was trying to fix the main controller data error which was popping up, sounds like this was a desperate last measure?

Sorry to hear about your aircraft man - I'm hopeful you will be able to find a fix. As long as it software and not hardware, there should be a solution. I don't know what that may be, but keep on, you will fix it. Have you tried putting the old SD back in? Have you tried going back a firmware version?

Reactions: Mozzie67
Why not start by putting the original sd card back into the phantom.. That seems like where the big problems started

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Digdat0
No actually it started after the update..that's when j got the main controller data error. And I tried everything to get rid of it with no luck. That's why I replaced the internal sd card. This is a new problem. No more main controller message but now the esc error instead and now won't fly:( it was a brand new sd card that I put in. Same brand and type just a 8gb instead of 4gb cause I couldn't find a 4gb, but that shouldn't make any difference. And yes digdat0 I tried putting the older firmware on and that's when the drone starting acting up while trying to update but never happened...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Unless you know something I don't, the internal card is only for recording flight logs, and has nothing to do with firmware. I tend to think your ESC errors might be due to taking it apart.

Yes that's what my understanding was too. That is why I tore it apart to replace the internal sd card because the main controller data error. I'm sure the esc problem doesn't have anything to do with the first, but who knows. It was pretty straight forward taking it apart. It wasn't like I had to re-wire it or do anything complicated. There was only like 6 ribbon cables to disconnect and some screws. And I'm sure I plugged everything back in. I took my time on the assemble just to make sure I didn't forget anything...

I'm done for the night...will look at it again this weekend with a clear head...

I'm done for the night...will look at it again this weekend with a clear head...

Good idea and a hard one to make when you want to fix the **** thing. Many of us have been there. I have threatened to take mine out and shoot it many times. Take your time today and start from scratch and try again.

Take your time, follow the instructions here to try and roll the firmware back with the phone or tablet.

If rolling the firmware back from the device doesn't work then make sure you are only going back one firmware, I don't think you can go back any more than that. Format the sd card and put the .bin file directly on the sd card then put the card in the bird with the transmitter OFF. put it in another room close the door and walk away for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

Wow, I am so sorry that you are going thru this. I recently had a nightmare with my P3P where it failed on an update and then gave a never ending LOUD beeping that would go on for hours, and attempts to update again wouldn't even complete. The logs showed some device failures, so I had to get DJI support involved, and sent it in. Naturally, the repairs weren't covered under warranty as it had crashed before, and the gimbal was all fracked up, but they replaced that as well... Apparently, a crash (from previous owner) had knocked the MC and other components loose from the MOBO, causing them to fail on update... But with a $250 repair bill, I basically got back a good as new p3p...

Wow, I am so sorry that you are going thru this. I recently had a nightmare with my P3P where it failed on an update and then gave a never ending LOUD beeping that would go on for hours, and attempts to update again wouldn't even complete. The logs showed some device failures, so I had to get DJI support involved, and sent it in. Naturally, the repairs weren't covered under warranty as it had crashed before, and the gimbal was all fracked up, but they replaced that as well... Apparently, a crash (from previous owner) had knocked the MC and other components loose from the MOBO, causing them to fail on update... But with a $250 repair bill, I basically got back a good as new p3p...

I like it..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi there sandman;

First of all, relax. Put the bird aside for a day or two and go and relax. Forget about the Phantom and do something else for a day or two and then, when you decide to come back, don't touch it. READ. READ everything on this forum you can find about this subject. Go to YouTube and watch the videos there. Tom's Tech Time is a good channel I found that helped me a great deal.

Now who's giving you this advice? I'm a new Phantom owner. Three weeks now and have just this past day or two actually flown this thing. I didn't have a clue what to do about anything and then I started bothering people up here who said no bother at all man, just ask and we'll help.

Well sir, ask I did, and the help just kept rolling on in. I read and read and read just about everything I could find on these things and now I'm actually flying it and having fun.

I even had a problem with the upgrading of the firmware and boy was I scared. I couldn't believe the tunes it was playing while updating. It even quit at one point and left me in the middle of the road with an empty drone that wouldn't even start. I simply shut it off, let it cool down, and re-started the update again in about an hour. After about 45 minutes and after some weird beeps and things I just decided to shut her down again and wait a half hour. Before I turned it on the next time, I checked the Micro SD card on the computer and it said that it had successfully updated and that was that. I got all excited for nothing.

I've learned how to treat the batteries buy reading everything I could find on batteries. Those crazy menus in that DJI Go App drove me nuts until I went over them again, and again, and again until I understood them. When it turned out I really didn't understand them, I went into them again and learned some more.

The bottom line here sandman, is READ. Read until you're sick of reading and it will all finally sink in, a bucketful at a time. I learned that I was trying to hurry things too much and that doesn't work well at all.

Give it another shot my friend, this newbie did it and so I'm sure you. who have way more experience than I can do it too. Just give it a chance to sink in and take it slow. I know it'll work for you, just give it another chance.

I wish you the best of luck with it, and please remember. Just go find something to read on the subject and read the hell out of it. Read it over, and over, and over again. It will work out. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can and I'm a 70 year old curmudgeon that doesn't do too well with technology.

Have fun my friend.

Bud
ps
Thanks to all the good folks up here that gave me the help and encouragement I needed so I could go on a beat it. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it was and when I got advice from the folks up here it helped a lot because I took my time and read all I could find on the subject.

I can't thank you all enough for the tremendous help you gave me. Thank you all for being such generous and willing to help sort of people. You folks are all TOP DRAWER people.

Im so frustrated right now and pissed at myself and dpi..:(((((

Last edited:
Reactions: pomonabill220
So I took a little break from it for a bit to clear my head and thought I would look at it again. So I'm gonna take baby steps before I tear it apart again or smash it with a hammer[emoji38]. I went and took the so card out again. The one in the gimbal not internal one, and reformatted it then put the newest firmware on again and put it back in the bird. This time it started making the normal updating noise. The last time nothing happened. In the first video you can see it beeping and making firmware update sound, but then it turned to the weird fast noise and solid red light you see on the gimbal. It's just stuck in this mode...
So it looks like it's not going to ever update...not sure what else I can do at this point.

I finally shut it off after about and hour of no change...I put the sd card in the computer to see the results and it says success....that's not possible...something is definitely screwed up...
0b6aa1bd472b14035e70c9666369399f.jpg

To be sure, Check your firmware versions in the Go app under About?

RedHotPoker

I turned both bird and rc on to see what it says. For the first 10 seconds or so it looked like everything was ok. Said safe to fly and the the firmware was up to date. But that didn't last. Started making the same crazy sound it was making when I was trying to update. It shows all the firmware is up to date in the settings but under the main screen says problem with update
f9d5a1860613e9503511e9cf3ba0e724.jpg
c6f4a24e1ffb3b7e9263a3b4b281c7e5.jpg

I finally shut it off after about and hour of no change...I put the sd card in the computer to see the results and it says success....that's not possible...something is definitely screwed up...Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
If you don't mind, will you please upload your log_ab file?

Note that the log_ab file is a different txt file than you look at for the general overall "success" indication.

Look on your SD card in the following path.
Some of the folders may be hidden: MISC/LOG/
Then find your log_ab file - P3X_FW_LOG_AB.txt (P3P) or P3S_FW_LOG_AB.txt (P3A).

I finally shut it off after about and hour of no change...I put the sd card in the computer to see the results and it says success....that's not possible...something is definitely screwed up
Your screenshot only shows the top of the log. The most recent entry is at the bottom.

Ok so I experimented again and took the card back out and cleared it once again and put it back in the bird. Now there's no crazy sound like before and it says safe to fly once again, but said to calibrate the imu, which I did after I cooled her down of course. Restarted it and if you just go by the look of the screen all is ok but when I try and start the motors I get the same esc error...sorry about the pics it was sunny outside..
e9731f73895165fba2da402b01a00656.jpg
185ff0b03b3384d651894ff1c8b46bf7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind, will you please upload your log_ab file?

Note that the log_ab file is a different txt file than you look at for the general overall "success" indication.

Look on your SD card in the following path.
Some of the folders may be hidden: MISC/LOG/
Then find your log_ab file - P3X_FW_LOG_AB.txt (P3P) or P3S_FW_LOG_AB.txt (P3A).

Not sure, is that when you plug the bird directly into the computer? I've tried that before and had no luck. Would never show up..

I think I'm at the point of having to take the bird apart again and putting the old sd card back in. It at least flew before. Can't imagine that has anything to do with it. Also I look everything over to make sure that everything is all plugged in which I'm pretty positive everything is but you never know. Something must have happened during disassembly and reassembly...cause it flew fine before and everything worked and firmware worked and was up to date just had the "main controller data error" message...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20