Im convinced Dlog is ********, adds 0 dynamic range. Here are my tests.

Reaction score
Convinced Dlog is ********, adds 0 dynamic range. Here are my tests.

First, I test by shooting a high dynamic range image. A bright sky with dark shadows in trees and buildings.

Then I expose in "normal" and DLog such that the sky is just about to clip. Here are the two screenshots of when I did the test shots showing just a little bit of zebra on the brightest part of the skies:

View media item 3907View media item 3906
Then I took these images to FCPX for grading. First here are the luma scopes before grading. As expected the data is much more compressed with dlog:

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 9.13.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 9.13.54 PM.png

Here are the results after I grade them both to something more pleasing. I tried to match them as best as I can in the scopes as well:

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 9.14.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 9.14.05 PM.png

As you can see, the DLog footage (left) is not in any way better than the right (normal). In fact, I would argue there's slightly less details in the clouds but that could just be due to imperfect grading. Also, color is less saturated with dlog even though both were shot with (0/0/0).

Here's the exported comparison test footage so you can view it for yourself.

Am I missing something? What are your test results? From what I can see, Dlog is just a gimmick and I don't see any reason using it. I don't think DJI knows how to implement log profile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Convinced Dlog is ********, adds 0 dynamic range. Here are my tests.

First, I test by shooting a high dynamic range image. A bright sky with dark shadows in trees and buildings.

Then I expose in "normal" and DLog such that the sky is just about to clip. Here are the two screenshots of when I did the test shots showing just a little bit of zebra on the brightest part of the skies:

View media item 3907View media item 3906
Then I took these images to FCPX for grading. First here are the luma scopes before grading. As expected the data is much more compressed with dlog:

View attachment 88291
View attachment 88292

Here are the results after I grade them both to something more pleasing. I tried to match them as best as I can in the scopes as well:

View attachment 88293
View attachment 88294

As you can see, the DLog footage (left) is not in any way better than the right (normal). In fact, I would argue there's slightly less details in the clouds but that could just be due to imperfect grading. Also, color is less saturated with dlog even though both were shot with (0/0/0).

Here's the exported comparison test footage so you can view it for yourself.

Am I missing something? What are your test results? From what I can see, Dlog is just a gimmick and I don't see any reason using it. I don't think DJI knows how to implement log profile.

D-Log is meant to be for items that you are going to post edit, especially RAW. I specifically use that for almost all of my photos since it does not chop anything off on either end. Video, I use D-Cinema since I can control the ISO. Example, see below.

Before post editing:

b0e0e6d316721f14131f9ab96ced17a9.jpg

After edits:

36639e0209216390d0fd649e7b492cfd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D-Log is meant to be for items that you are going to post edit, especially RAW. I specifically use that for almost all of my photos since it does not chop anything off on either end. Video, I use D-Cinema since I can control the ISO. Example, see below.

Before post editing:

b0e0e6d316721f14131f9ab96ced17a9.jpg

After edits:

36639e0209216390d0fd649e7b492cfd.jpg

You can't even apply dlog to photos. It's videos only, I think we're talking about different things

The log profiles do allow for preservation of highlight detail and allow you to find more clean detail in the shadows when shooting scenes with high dynamic range. It might be subtle or indeedoif no real benefit in a lot of takes but when you need the luxury you will be pleased you used it.

The log profiles do allow for preservation of highlight detail and allow you to find more clean detail in the shadows when shooting scenes with high dynamic range. It might be subtle or indeedoif no real benefit in a lot of takes but when you need the luxury you will be pleased you used it.

In theory, absolutely I agree with you. But with the phantom, I just don't see it. Do you have an example footage? (where DLog performed better than other profiles in the scene you are shooting).

In theory, absolutely I agree with you. But with the phantom, I just don't see it. Do you have an example footage? (where DLog performed better than other profiles in the scene you are shooting).
I have never shot the same scene in a log and no log profile- I have had more success with log footage in tricky lighting though. Most of my shooting is around sunrise and sunset. Middle of the day I think it would be a struggle to see an advantage.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl