Im confused, not hard to do sometimes...iOSD\downlink stuff

Reaction score
Have a Phantom 2 and want to now do the FPV. Here is what I am looking at...

DJI 5.8 500mw video down link set up and obviously a monitor of sorts. So it is my understanding that this set up doesn't give flight data (please forgive me if I do not use correct lingo) such as altitude, speed and whatever else it reports back to see.

Do I need the iOSD as well with this set up, to project the info I'm looking for? OR does this replace the down link set up?

Is this a decent set up?

Thank you for helping!

Have a Phantom 2 and want to now do the FPV. Here is what I am looking at...

DJI 5.8 500mw video down link set up and obviously a monitor of sorts. So it is my understanding that this set up doesn't give flight data (please forgive me if I do not use correct lingo) such as altitude, speed and whatever else it reports back to see.

Do I need the iOSD as well with this set up, to project the info I'm looking for? OR does this replace the down link set up?

Is this a decent set up?

Thank you for helping!

Go with either immersion or fat shark 600mw TX, mini iOSD, plug n play cable and black pearl or boscam monitor. Problem with DJI TX is the plug n play HUB with all your equipment on the outside of the P2 or you have to solder all wiring. Here are two photos which is a clean setup.
IMG_1551.jpg IMG_1554.jpg

the iOSD Mini is the device that will overlay telemetry data (height, speed, distance, etc) on your FPV feed, so it's recommended you include one in your FPV build.
there is a stickythread in this forum called "lowest prices on FPV components" that should help you through the path of acquiring all the parts. the IRC600 transmitter is good, but there's cheaper options. also choices of screens depending on your needs. whatever else you get, include an iOSD mini.

The DJI FPV hub is ONLY necessary with the DJI AVL58 transmitter. definitely don't go that route !

This is the kit I used. It has everything you need and their support answering my questions was outstanding.
May not be the cheapest route but cheapest is not always the best IMO.

This is specific to the H3-2D or 3D gimbal, and Hero3 or 4. You did not mention what camera or gimbal you were going to use so keep that in mind when you order.

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Black-Pearl-FPV-Package-Deal-for-Phantom2-iOSD-Mini.html

Reactions: Airborne
This is the kit I used. It has everything you need and their support answering my questions was outstanding.

This is specific to the H3-2D or 3D gimbal, and Hero3 or 4. You did not mention what camera or gimbal you were going to use so keep that in mind when you order.

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Black-Pearl-FPV-Package-Deal-for-Phantom2-iOSD-Mini.html
Sorry, yes GOPRO 3+Black and a H3-3D Gimbal. Thanks guys!

Actually it is cheaper with that package than getting it separate. This is almost identical it what Jason recommended....Soon I will have eyes to see with!

Last edited:
Sorry, yes GOPRO 3+Black and a H3-3D Gimbal. Thanks guys!

Actually it is cheaper with that package than getting it separate. This is almost identical it what Jason recommended....Soon I will have eyes to see with!

You might also consider changing the lens on your GoPro to a 5.4mm lens to eliminate fisheye altogether. No more ultra wide, wide, medium or narrow plus objects are much closer without moving closer.

Thanks, I will look into that. It have always bothered me. I've watched some YouTube videos on the install, seems easy really. I guess I will have to turn the GoPro right side up as to connect it to the gimbal now? I use it upside-down woks well for me.

Does this setup open up ground station abilities now? Such as storing or entering waypoints?

thanks for the link, I was gonna buy all of this through amazon prime, but it was going to be more...

what range do you get with this kit?

thanks for the link, I was gonna buy all of this through amazon prime, but it was going to be more...

what range do you get with this kit?

I haven't really pushed range yet, still a big chicken ****. I had my limit set at 2000' and hit that.
Reception was fine, even with my TX shaking violently. :D

I haven't really pushed range yet, still a big chicken ****. I had my limit set at 2000' and hit that.
Reception was fine, even with my TX shaking violently. :D

cool, thanks again

You're welcome.

I got my whole set up on Friday, installed Saturday morning. Very cool, especially when you lose it in the sky and look at the monitor to see where you are. thank you all for the recommendations. I do appreciate it.

Now I'm on the hunt for a case that'll hold it all.

congrats, I am not far behind you

Black Pearl FPV Package Deal for Phantom2 (with iOSD-Mini Module)
Just ordered this bad boy! Thanks for the link

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.