If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

I just did this on mine, feel a lot more confident flying it now. Put some hotglue on the solder points as well as the little wire holder coming out of the motor to help cut down on vibrations coming out of the motor

Attachments

• IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_2414.jpg
    IMG_2414.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 595

Fpsphil said:
I just did this on mine, feel a lot more confident flying it now. Put some hotglue on the solder points as well as the little wire holder coming out of the motor to help cut down on vibrations coming out of the motor.

FWIW, putting hot glue on the solder balls alone does nothing to protect the wires, as your pictures show. The location of failure is where the wire enters the solder ball or just slightly above and onto the insulation. The idea of applying the material is to absorb the wire's vibration before it reaches the solder ball (the stationary point).

You're on the right path by your efforts to be proactive. Good luck!

I reckon your crash might possibly be due to the tip overs.
The annoying and odd thing is.. a gentle tip over when the motors are still running can sometimes do more damage than crashing into a tree and falling to the ground (from not to high up lol)

Sometimes if an ESC is damaged you might not relies it but the problem can get worse. There are diff degree's of damage of course...
A friend had a tip over and that caused the motor to run extremely hot. We replaced the motor and the same thing happened to the new motor.

It would be hard to diagnose the cause of the crash. for example, If you did see a loose wire you don't know if it was there before or due to the crash..

hunch said:
So it may be a good idea to have prop guards on especially for newbies to avoid these tipovers?
[/quote][/quote]

An Add-On product for this problem, when you don't want to use "Prop-Guards" is something I came across 6-9 months ago called "Lexan Landing Gear SKID'S" (made by Mr. Jim Bowers) that I'm considering putting back on my P2V+:: only removed them because I purchased the new V3 Phantom leg's + had them "Hydro-Dipped"{didn't want to scratch them up with Lexan} , check out the video/info & decide for yourself-But as a past user of these I can tell you they work Very well!
http://youtu.be/1XNnp2ILhdA
PS: You can fast forward to a minute mark of 2:27 to see the product I'm referring to...

M

After 3+ months I decided to open my p2v+ v3 to check condition of components inside...it seems all quiet good to me after a close inspection with a led lamp. The only thing that I don't like is the red wire of the top right ESC (mine are 2.0 I think and no yellow mark on capacitors [emoji20] ) that make an hard curve. I'll share pictures, any suggestion or advice is welcome...thanks guys
https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B1xG ... pCVTg/edit

Good News!!! After several back and forth emails and a few photos DJI has confirmed I have the correct no version ESC's installed!!! Just email them your concern and provide the Pahntom S/N on the aircraft body and/or wi fi S/N and they will tell you whether you have a problem. Here is a cut and paste from my DJI email:

My original inquiry:

I purchased two Phantom Vision + version 3.0 directly from your DJI website in November. I am member of the DJI Phantom 2 forum and I am aware that there are some problems with Electronic Speed Controllers (ESC's) and that some Vision + Ver3.0 do not have the correct ESC's installed for the V3.0 2312 motors, and are going bad. One of two phantoms I purchased has no version number on the ESC bar code stickers, where apparently the correct and updated ESC's have Version 2.0 or 2.1 printed on them. I have attached a picture of the esc.

I have been advised by others who have done so, to contact DJI in regard to this.

Could you please clarify this for me, or confirm that my aircraft has the correct ESC's installed. I have been told that DJI can verify this by means of the serial number that I have provided below. Thank you.

DJI response:

Thanks for contacting DJI.
Regarding your concerns, please kindly send us the SN number on either WIFI Extender or the aircraft body for our better analysis and troubleshooting.
We'll follow up your problem soon after getting your feedback.

and finally after sending them the information they requested i just got this today:

Dear Richard,

Thanks for contacting DJI.
Regarding your concerns, your aircraft has the correct ESC's installed.
If you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

DJI Product Application Technical Support Center

Office hours: Monday to Friday , 9:00AM to 18:00PM (HongKong Time GMT+8:00)

I did a request. Said I had to ask sales. WTF?

Ok. So who will be the first to drill holes on the top of the quad? Not me I'm chicken

I'm not chicken, I did that weeks ago because warmer weather is coming and more airflow cools things better. I am looking for something nicer looking than the rubber grommets that I am using to make it look a little neater.

I'm not convinced about the importance of the wire diameter as a primary problem, but I certainly agree that if you're repairing the ESC (presuming you have a newer ESC with the appropriate firmware version) and are going to the trouble of replacing the MOSFET, it's certainly reasonable to modify the wiring at the same time. The warranty would be toast anyway.

As to replacing the MOSFET, are you proposing that this is a fix for an otherwise burnout-prone older version ESC? is there such a thing as a MOSFET that is more resistant to melting from shorting from a stalled motor? If not, I don't see how upgrading the wiring an replacing the MOSFET with the same component would prevent the drop-from-the-sky problem.

Well, regarding the motor wires getting smaller in the Phantom + 3.0, I'm glad I got my 2.0 just before they made the changes. As popular as this bird is, you'd certainly think DJI would do a bit better, or have they gotten too big. Tony

F me! The other day I was flying with cam recording. When playing it back I nothiced it looked like one of the motors stopped for a second and started again. I was browsing the forums and I came across this. I opened her up and I have v2.0 FML!!!! Just bought it Sunday. Im on hold with DJI as we speak. Also one of the motors dont turn by hand as freely as the others. I have them sending me a new motor as per my call with them yesterday.

Hello to all

I have a Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 and i think it falls from the air like a stone because the battery get to cold.
I read this 42 Pages for about 30% and my English is not so good so please help me.
It's a lot of information and for a beginner like me now im out of focus ;-(

I have open my Phantom and rearranged the wires a bit.
Do anybody see another problem or what exactly i have to do for a save flight?

Thanks all.
Philippe

IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0574.JPG

Hello to all

I have a Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 and i think it falls from the air like a stone because the battery get to cold.
I read this 42 Pages for about 30% and my English is not so good so please help me.
It's a lot of information and for a beginner like me now im out of focus ;-(

I have open my Phantom and rearranged the wires a bit.
Do anybody see another problem or what exactly i have to do for a save flight?

Thanks all.
Philippe

View attachment 17073 View attachment 17074 View attachment 17075

Based on your photos and the info I have received from DJI, the ESC's are incorrect for your motors (blue mark on capacitor).

So has DJI stepped-up and help anyone with this problem?
Thanks G

It was never an issue to begin with, so I am sure DJI has done nothing. Other than a handful of flights on early P2v+ V3 quads, there have been few problems. If this was truly an "undersized wire" problem or soldering problem, the number of these that would have crashed would have been so great that no one would buy one, and the media would be all over it.

Do yourself a favor, don't be panicked every time a post comes up on these forums about a perceived problem or fix for your quad. Most of the time it is guesswork and speculation on the part of the person giving the diagnosis.

Nothing personal to those who are genuinely trying to help, but DJI pays engineers millions of dollars to design and test these things. They don't get everything perfect all the time, but to think that there are problems and fixes like this forum talks about is really more opinion than science.

Reactions: lalvar40
The media would be all over it.

ROFLMFAO!

Classic post.

Reactions: MapMaker53
come on mij119... DJI is an a typical Chinese company. I had the responsibility to manage two word wide designs utilizing Chinese resources. They herd to the challenge, do it their own way, deliver the product but the shortcuts taken will cost more in the long run. They met the cost target - but the failure rate in my view of a brick flying at 100+ Meters in the air should have five or 6 9's reliability! Any trained engineer knows the impact of the wire motors choice for cost yet alone a solder blob to a surface mounted pad versus an etched lead through choice (costs money)... They will succeed by volume! the Chinese way

For twenty years everybody was rallying behind Dr. Edward Demming's value of quality That is now gone as far as I'm concerned with the mass supply of components, technology and supply lines coming from vendors like DJI. I assume failure to be single digits versus standard design targets of thousandths of a percentage

Reactions: RichWest
It's laughable to even suggest that DJI is paying millions of dollars to their engineers who use solid wire in a vibrating environment. I'd bet their top quality control guy dosen't even have a basic electronics degree to not realize that. And, then, instead of replacing the solid wires with stranded wires like they should, their well-paid electronic geniuses decide to just add a huge glob of silicone caulking onto the ESCs. Yeah.. Real stellar engineering worth millions.

http://www.phantompilots.com/attachments/20150412_192406-jpg.17068/

Last edited:
Reactions: Marlin009
It's laughable to even suggest that DJI is paying millions of dollars to their engineers who use solid wire in a vibrating environment. I'd bet their top quality control guy dosen't even have a basic electronics degree to not realize that. And, then, instead of replacing the solid wires with stranded wires like they should, their well-paid electronic geniuses decide to just add a huge glob of silicone caulking onto the ESCs. Yeah.. Real stellar engineering worth millions.

Maybe it's 1,000,000 Yen. That's $8,321.20. Sounds about right.

Reactions: MapMaker53
Either from RCgroups or here at PP, DJI has implemented user's DIY fixes for the majority of their issues. DJI's forum spokesmen, Tahoe, Blade and Dr.T, just add further insult to injury when they re-affirm DJI abilities as an engineering deep company. Sorry I don't buy their corporate mantra.

I agree they are in whole number percentage of failures, whereas it should be in hundredths of a percent. But again, as fragmented as the user base is, we'll have those that say otherwise stating no real data to support failure percentage.

If it were a domestic (N-American or Euro) company, do you really believe people would accept/defend the failures like we have witnessed? For some reason we accept failure when the price suits our interest. We expect domestic manufactures to compete at the same price point, but with higher standards. I'm willing to pay for higher quality, but you have to show proof for same.

Sighting the GPS foil mod as the example. DJI never admitted to the issue, yet they implemented changes (V3) that were DIY generated. Further they never offered a factory part upgrade of same. Why?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers