If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

I have a question guys. Is the older model of Phantom2 (Version 2) is better compared to Version 3 in terms of ESC and wiring durability?

ymangitu said:
I have a question guys. Is the older model of Phantom2 (Version 2) is better compared to Version 3 in terms of ESC and wiring durability?

Unfortunately I would have to say yes, but my opinion is bias as my v3.0 fell out of the sky. As for the controller, compass, gps, and wifi module those are all things that can be upgraded if you feel the need to improve v2.0 reliability. Honestly I had to Arctic Silver my V3.0 wifi module to reliably stream 640x480 resolution as well, so improvement in that design is marginal at best. The biggest problem with the v3.0 is all the random reports of just loosing power mid flight and falling out of the sky, which still hasn't been nailed down yet. I would be cautious, just my opinion.

I was set on buying a vision plus until I started monitoring this forum. I think I'll hold of or maybe even just scrap the idea of getting a dji all together.

jshull0 said:
ymangitu said:

Unfortunately I would have to say yes, but my opinion is bias as my v3.0 fell out of the sky. As for the controller, compass, gps, and wifi module those are all things that can be upgraded if you feel the need to improve v2.0 reliability. Honestly I had to Arctic Silver my V3.0 wifi module to reliably stream 640x480 resolution as well, so improvement in that design is marginal at best. The biggest problem with the v3.0 is all the random reports of just loosing power mid flight and falling out of the sky, which still hasn't been nailed down yet. I would be cautious, just my opinion.

I agree that I've seen more reports on v3.0 falling from the sky than v2.0. Hasn't there be reports on v2.0 falling out of the sky lately?

clayton4115 said:
So it may be a good idea to have prop guards on especially for newbies to avoid these tipovers?

My MO was lots of flights with the X5C before even thinking of turning the Phantom on. "Nice" crashes and many panic situations in the beginning which teaches you much. After the very first Phantom flight and landing, I decided to hand-catch to avoid any possibility of tip-over. IMHO guards on a Phantom can lead to some bad things, like more of a chance for VRS. Just my $.02.

yes i always catch my Phantom FC40, only issue i have is if there is a tip over while taking off on my new V+ v3.

Do you give it max throttle?

Hi I am selling my phantom2 and thinking of getting an Inspire 1. Any insights about inspire 1? Can't live with he constant fear and paranoia of falling phantom.

ymangitu said:
Hi I am selling my phantom2 and thinking of getting an Inspire 1. Any insights about inspire 1? Can't live with he constant fear and paranoia of falling phantom.

Won't the Inspire be worse ? Just a more expensive product which is younger and probably has even more teething problems.

RhythMick said:
ymangitu said:

Won't the Inspire be worse ? Just a more expensive product which is younger and probably has even more teething problems.

I am also thinking the same. So my best bet would be to get a used Phantom2 v2.0 ?

Today I am returning my P2V+V3 back to Amazon for a refund. Only problem I've had is the altimeter consistently reads -250 to -270 and I am flying at sea level. So my RTH, even set at 1 foot, still goes up 250 feet. However, I have a slightly-used P2V+V2 with no camera/gimbal or range extender and I will just continue to practice and learn with it. I'll set it up with FPV, then think I'll wait for the next version of the Inspire 1.

I just bought my ESC 2.1 and 2312 Motor to upgrade my 1st genration vision plus.
Quick questions:
- So the only thing I need to do is replace the motor wire leads with "Stranded 18 AWG" wires?
- If yes, any recommendation for the "stranded 18awg" wire brand/type ? I stopped by Lowes and noticed that the Stranded 18gauge wire they have are not as flexible and thick as the one I have on my old motors. Is there more wire specs we need to look into? Flexibility, silicone/insulation thickness?

Thanks!

danillll said:
I just bought my ESC 2.1 and 2312 Motor to upgrade my 1st genration vision plus.
Quick questions:
- So the only thing I need to do is replace the motor wire leads with "Stranded 18 AWG" wires?
- If yes, any recommendation for the "stranded 18awg" wire brand/type ? I stopped by Lowes and noticed that the Stranded 18gauge wire they have are not as flexible and thick as the one I have on my old motors. Is there more wire specs we need to look into? Flexibility, silicone/insulation thickness?

Thanks!

Couple of pages ago I gave links to the ebay items for both wires and heatshrink.

RhythMick said:
Couple of pages ago I gave links to the ebay items for both wires and heatshrink.

Thanks Mick!
Hey, I just finished reading your crash thread, man what a bummer!!!
Did you have the 2.1 ESC ? From the pics, looks like FET failure.
Now I am all worried whether I should upgrade to ESC v2.1 and motor 2312 .

I decided against changing the wires on the esc's for the 18awg flexible multistrand wires because i figured the risk of soldering 20 points all in outweighed the risk of the stock wires breaking under vibration, i have the wires and heatshrink ready but will keep them just in case. In my opinion there is more chance of it breaking at the actual solder joint on the esc so i have put silicone over the joints as it should help with this.
The 18awg wires and heatshrink.
nlwe4l.jpg

Silicone "non corrosive" type around solder joints, also put some on the cables to keep them together.
qrbvdc.jpg

UKFlyer said:
I decided against changing the wires on the esc's for the 18awg flexible multistrand wires because i figured the risk of soldering 20 points all in outweighed the risk of the stock wires breaking under vibration, i have the wires and heatshrink ready but will keep them just in case. In my opinion there is more chance of it breaking at the actual solder joint on the esc so i have put silicone over the joints as it should help with this.
The 18awg wires and heatshrink.
nlwe4l.jpg

Silicone "non corrosive" type around solder joints, also put some on the cables to keep them together.
qrbvdc.jpg
I was wondering if after done that handmade job you will feel more safe when flying...

StevenQX said:
I was wondering if after done that handmade job you will feel more safe when flying...

Well it won't do any harm, it can only help prevent vibration getting to those joints. The silicone is well away from the mosfetsand just supporting the wires. If you can trust yourself to properly solder 20 solder joints on the esc's then i would change the wires too but i'd still use silicone.

That's my dilemma, I was thinking of keeping the regular wire but wrapping them with a layer or two of heatshrink, and yes, adding a some hot glue on the joints. would this help? It would be great if someone can advice.

UKFlyer said:
StevenQX said:

Well it won't do any harm, it can only help prevent vibration getting to those joints. The silicone is well away from the mosfetsand just supporting the wires. If you can trust yourself to properly solder 20 solder joints on the esc's then i would change the wires too but i'd still use silicone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic