If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

burlbark said:
I have had a couple people question me asking if these wire failures in midflite are caused from damage from a previous crash.

If the same body is used and the esc is not bent in half how much real damage can be occurring to these wires before failure/breaking?

Some people say the wires are breaking after the crash, than a couple questions still remain.

1. Why did it tumble out of the sky?
2. Why are we seeing broken motor wires with no other obvious damage to the esc's?
3. Why are the motor leads always breaking in the same place?

Then of course you can bend test them yourself. Some of them will only last one bend! The max bends I have seen is 7. All it takes for weak wires is a couple hours of vibration or less.

I never saw this problem with multistrand wire unless the the whole arm was ripped off or the esc was folded in half. The wires are continuing to break and I just had to order 150ft of shrink wrap to keep it in stock. It is only going to get worse unless DJI standardizes a fix quickly.

Jeremy James

J - I am glad your business will be growing. Couldn't happen to a nicer and most helping/ open person

I understand and no matter what, no glue, silicone or goop will stop the single point of failure being the solder joint to solid wires.

Skills and education that I paid for to get an EE degree of 30 yrs ago (OK dated) which included then basics including standards which I look for in any design are valid. When I graduated and started work, I worked in R&D for a Fortune 100 company back then. They have been absorbed 5 times since I hired on.

Concerns? Solid motor wired, lacquered with HS tube mounted to a hight vibration component

Really? - I was taught years ago (20+) you can't do this!

Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) will be DAYS - not Years!!!

I corrected my bird for goal that I want to fly it past manufacture warranty, starting now without a 3 month repair and repeat cycle... Spring is coming in the US - how much air time do you want?

PM Jeremy if you don't want to do the correction by yourself.....

BTW - I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH HIM OR HIS COMPANY - Just was an educated electrical engineer and we think/ agree alike.

Another beer for my horses and more hay for my men... OOH!!!!

mad in nc said:
J - I am glad your business will be growing. Couldn't happen to a nicer and most helping/ open person

I understand and no matter what, no glue, silicone or goop will stop the single point of failure being the solder joint to solid wires.

Skills and education that I paid for to get an EE degree of 30 yrs ago (OK dated) which included then basics including standards which I look for in any design are valid. When I graduated and started work, I worked in R&D for a Fortune 100 company back then. They have been absorbed 5 times since I hired on.

Concerns? Solid motor wired, lacquered with HS tube mounted to a hight vibration component

I corrected my bird for goal that I want to fly it past manufacture warranty, starting now without a 3 month repair and repeat cycle... Spring is coming in the US - how much air time do you want?

BTW - I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH HIM OR HIS COMPANY - Just was an educated electrical engineer and we think/ agree alike.

I take it you agree then? Okay so lots of us will be changing those wires for the more suitable multistrand 18awg wires BUT what can we do about the actual solder joint at the esc? Or should the joint be good being a multistrand wire now?
Another quick question if anyone can answer, when soldering the 18awg to the single strand motor wire, would a lap slice be sufficient? Or is it best to twist them together somehow first?
Thanks for the advice. :D

UKFlyer,

I believe that Jeremy has been recommending inserting the pair of solid wires as best you can into the center of the multi-stranded 18 awg wire before soldering them together. He put together a quick-and-dirty photo write-up describing it on his Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/USdronerepair
(at the time I'm typing this it's about 3 items down the page - shows him cutting one of the motor wires with a pair of dikes)

mad in nc - is this type of join an acceptable practice when soldering solid/stranded wires in your experience?

Any downside to it?

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for your input.

Gary

UKFlyer said:
mad in nc said:

I take it you agree then? Okay so lots of us will be changing those wires for the more suitable multistrand 18awg wires BUT what can we do about the actual solder joint at the esc? Or should the joint be good being a multistrand wire now?
Another quick question if anyone can answer, when soldering the 18awg to the single strand motor wire, would a lap slice be sufficient? Or is it best to twist them together somehow first?

I have only seen the solder joint at the esc fail with stranded wire when the motors are ripped from the body. You should be good to go with stranded wire.

As far wire joint, you must make sure to fully encompass the solid motor lead with solder. It can be difficult at times to flow it thoroughly and I do sometimes spin the flexible wire to insure good coverage. I will also pre-tin the leads if the wire in question is not flowing the solder properly. Whether it be the wire, the solder, flux or environmental issue you must be able to adapt.

Jeremy James

UKFlyer said:

All that I did/can do was remove old solder and wires, get rid of the DJI solder, pre-tin the ESC pad and solder the 18a stranded to the pad. Optimal would have been if it was a through hole point but all that I could do was solder to the pad

re: solid to stranded, I sanded the lacquer off the solid wire first, pre tin, then inserted the solid wire within the stranded wire and twisted tight pre solder. Once soldered and cooled - give it a tug to check integrity.

And there is always an alternative.
If you don't feel like doing it yourself or if you feel like the project is just too much you can always
send the bird to myself or Jeremy.
we've both done A TON of these!!
one in process as i type this actually.

Hani

I'm about to change the wires on the esc's for the 18awg flexible type, one quick question.
At the solder joint on the esc board, is it best to cover them with hot glue or some silicone sealant as extra security against vibrations?
This silicone looks good for circuit boards as its the "neutral cure, non corrosive type. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/servisol-silicone-adhesive-sealant-75ml-re89w
Any advice would be great.

Still flying with my no version esc phantom2v+ with the faulty wire. I have 49 flights .. Purchased nov 14th. Have another p2v+ with 2.1 esc that has 21 flights. I haven't flown the 2nd one in a long time because I wanted to test the no version esc. Had two tip overs with the motors running on the no version esc and all is still good...will keep everyone posted if I have a problem. Wish me further luck :D

Btw was thinking about buying an inspire but after reading about all of the problems online I have decided to hold off until all the bugs have been worked out.

I'm also thinking about applying silicone on my phantom but would,also like to know where is the best place to apply it.

Well ... happy to report that I've changed to 18AWG stranded wires this evening and done a quick test; first idling without props, then a short tethered flight outside (pulling against the tether), finally a short untethered hover. More tests over the weekend but all looking good.

Many thanks for the tips and advice.

Hi Jeremy, I came across this post after I had my P2 V3 fell to the ground like a rock. It was a nice flight on a fair sunny day when out of nowhere it fell. I've had around 15 nice flights since I bought the phantom so I didn't expect this to happen at all. After it fell, I tried turning it on again and it flew and hovered without any problem, but I shut it down before something worse happens. So I took it to the service center and they said the ESC was damaged, most likely from the crash. But after I read your post, I suspect that the ESC got malfunctioned mid-air, that's right before it fell. By the way, I damaged a Gopro Hero4 from the crash, bent mainboard and disconnected USB ports, unusable.

I'm no engineer or electrician and this has been a long post so I haven't finished reading the whole thing. I assume we have to replace the 3 wires to the motor to stranded wires instead of solid wire? Will that be all? Please advise. Thank you!

Bought on March 7th, crashed on March 10. Serial starts with 646xxx

This afternoon I opened the body and took photos of all 4 ESCs while doing close examination of them. I found to heat-related damaged cables or burned mosfets. One of the ESC is newly replaced after the crash last week.

Attachments

• IMG_20150321_124230.jpg
    IMG_20150321_124230.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_20150321_124242.jpg
    IMG_20150321_124242.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_20150321_124252.jpg
    IMG_20150321_124252.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_20150321_124217.jpg
    IMG_20150321_124217.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 435

ymangitu said:
How much had you flown it before the crash? Was this your first flight of the day? Just got my v3 Tuesday and flew it twice yesterday. Very impressed by it but wish we knew what was causing this. If you hovered after the crash it's likely not the wiring.

ymangitu said:
Hi Jeremy, I came across this post after I had my P2 V3 fell to the ground like a rock. It was a nice flight on a fair sunny day when out of nowhere it fell. I've had around 15 nice flights since I bought the phantom so I didn't expect this to happen at all. After it fell, I tried turning it on again and it flew and hovered without any problem, but I shut it down before something worse happens. So I took it to the service center and they said the ESC was damaged, most likely from the crash. But after I read your post, I suspect that the ESC got malfunctioned mid-air, that's right before it fell. By the way, I damaged a Gopro Hero4 from the crash, bent mainboard and disconnected USB ports, unusable.
I'm no engineer or electrician and this has been a long post so I haven't finished reading the whole thing. I assume we have to replace the 3 wires to the motor to stranded wires instead of solid wire? Will that be all? Please advise. Thank you!

Jeremy and myself have been doing extensive research and solution
For months on these birdies with much success.
Also where are you located? Jeremy is in CA and I am in MN.
We both can replace the wires and troubleshoot these.

Hani

Apparition said:
ymangitu said:
How much had you flown it before the crash? Was this your first flight of the day? Just got my v3 Tuesday and flew it twice yesterday. Very impressed by it but wish we knew what was causing this. If you hovered after the crash it's likely not the wiring.

Before the crash maybe I've flown about 10 times, that is around 30 mins each (2 batteries). So yes, after the crash which damaged one of the front red LEDs, I tried flying the phantom and it flew without problem, it also hovered for about 1 minute then I shut it down.

hunch said:
ymangitu said:

Jeremy and myself have been doing extensive research and solution
For months on these birdies with much success.
Also where are you located? Jeremy is in CA and I am in MN.
We both can replace the wires and troubleshoot these.

Hani

Thanks guys, I'm afraid we're too far away. I'm located in Jakarta, Indonesia, South East Asia.

Also I forgot to mention, my phantom once in a while tip over, JUST WHEN I TURN ON THE MOTORS. I always thought it was normal but when the phantom came back from service (ESC replacement after the crash), I turned on the motors and suddenly the RPM of some of the motors increases and caused the phantom to tip over. Is this even normal?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl