If there is a new Phantom, maybe it can be quieter (if possible)

Reaction score
Am awaiting to get my new P3P soon I hope, waiting on a few things like any deals on the run up to christmas in the UK, or more importantly if a new bird is coming out from DJI before or just after the holidays.

One thing that I think attracts attention is the 'swarm noise' the UAVs make, not just the P3 or all of them. I'm now aerodynamics expert but if it was possible the DJI engineers somehow could make flight just a bit quieter. My friend has one and when he flies within the UK law guidelines (of course!) people look up and say 'there's another drone!' and 'watch out, its filming us!'.

Even in village the local council have put up posters in a recreational park to warn drone users not to fly, which is a out of order since UAV pilots pay local taxes like everyone else and to me this is total discrimination.

But, to me at least maybe making them a bit quieter in flight might make them a bit less menicing to joe public. Just my 2p worth, cheers

I doubt any new Phantom will be quieter, it would be quite the accomplishment if it were. I think it's more likely for DJI to include some form of object avoidance on any new Drone, though I expect the first consumer iteration of object avoidance to be put on an Inspire 2. It's possible that we see an inspire 2 in the spring and not another new Phantom model, if there is a new phantom model it might be an upgrade to the camera more than anything. Ambarella(bottom of page) has a new SOC (system on a chip) that can do 4K at 60FPS and 1080 at 240 FPS.

Ambarella is what DJI and Go Pro among others use for video processing.

Reactions: nickyb
I doubt any new Phantom will be quieter, it would be quite the accomplishment if it were. I think it's more likely for DJI to include some form of object avoidance on any new Drone, though I expect the first consumer iteration of object avoidance to be put on an Inspire 2. It's possible that we see an inspire 2 in the spring and not another new Phantom model, if there is a new phantom model it might be an upgrade to the camera more than anything. Ambarella(bottom of page) has a new SOC (system on a chip) that can do 4K at 60FPS and 1080 at 240 FPS.

Ambarella is what DJI and Go Pro among others use for video processing.
..thanks for your detailed response.

Nickyb...have you still not purchased a P3?

Bro I told you before and I'm telling you again, buy one now before you miss out lol.

Your doubting too much on horror stories, if you want a reputable seller in the UK then I advise you buy from Maplin, I had cracks on my shell and Maplin changed it for me.

You have been on the forum a while and can see your really active too, once again I say it...GO BUY ONE NOW, STOP HOLDING YOURSELF BACK FOR CHRISTMAS LoL

Am awaiting to get my new P3P soon I hope, waiting on a few things like any deals on the run up to christmas in the UK, or more importantly if a new bird is coming out from DJI before or just after the holidays.
... but if it was possible the DJI engineers somehow could make flight just a bit quieter.
I doubt you'll be seeing a replacement for the P3 any time in the next 6 months.
The P3 was a huge step beyond the P2 series and is still way ahead of any of the competing brands for tech & price.

DJI can make a quieter quad - and they do. All it takes is to have larger props that spin slower.
Much of the noise is due to the speed or the tips of the props through the air.
If you've ever heard an Inspire .... it's much quieter than the Phantom.
But the small size of the Phantom dictates the max size of the props, which determines the speed they have to rotate. Don't expect much noise reduction for the Phantom range.

I have an Inspire and it seems a bit louder to me. I'm using the QR props, FWIW.

Yep, it's a noisy bugger (swarm of angry bees) - I tend not to fly around suburban areas with take off & landings as it brings attention to yourself, which I don't enjoy.

My bigger drones make more noise. Even though the props are 16" and turn slower, the tip speed is just as fast. Longer way around so tip has to travel faster, 4" out the blade is slower.

The really noisy full scale helis with very slow rotor speeds still sometimes break the sound barrier at the tip of the blades, that is that very loud whapwhap we hear at times.

You can make a quieter MR, it would probably require shrouding of the blades and that may come soon. This can be more efficient and if they tilt much faster with less energy used to fly. There already are several flying designs like that.

Stand by we are in the infancy of this hobby...

Reactions: nickyb and BigAl07
I'm sure that the general public would welcome with open arms a quieter and more stealthy flying camera. What could go wrong?

Right now, I like when people see how noisy it is so they know we really can't sneak up on them as is often portrayed in the media.

I would however love to have a quieter start up tone which has been mentioned here in the forum numerous times.

One thing that I think attracts attention is the 'swarm noise' the UAVs make, not just the P3 or all of them. I'm now aerodynamics expert but if it was possible the DJI engineers somehow could make flight just a bit quieter. My friend has one and when he flies within the UK law guidelines (of course!) people look up and say 'there's another drone!' and 'watch out, its filming us!'.

Even in village the local council have put up posters in a recreational park to warn drone users not to fly, which is a out of order since UAV pilots pay local taxes like everyone else and to me this is total discrimination.

But, to me at least maybe making them a bit quieter in flight might make them a bit less menicing to joe public. Just my 2p worth, cheers

Nickyb, the inspire is so much quieter. Have you heard anything on a p4 yet? I'm considering selling my P3A for an inspire one or a P4 if there is one being released.

I'm sure that the general public would welcome with open arms a quieter and more stealthy flying camera. What could go wrong?

Right now, I like when people see how noisy it is so they know we really can't sneak up on them as is often portrayed in the media.

I would however love to have a quieter start up tone which has been mentioned here in the forum numerous times.
Yup this. I like them loud as I am tired of explaining to nervous nellies that it is not possible to secretly sneak up to you and spy on you with this. And never mind that useful audio recording from a drone is basically impossible.

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

Reactions: Oso
I doubt you'll be seeing a replacement for the P3 any time in the next 6 months.
The P3 was a huge step beyond the P2 series and is still way ahead of any of the competing brands for tech & price.

DJI can make a quieter quad - and they do. All it takes is to have larger props that spin slower.
Much of the noise is due to the speed or the tips of the props through the air.
But the small size of the Phantom dictates the max size of the props, which determines the speed they have to rotate. Don't expect much noise reduction for the Phantom range.
Thanks for your reply..appreciated

Nickyb, the inspire is so much quieter. Have you heard anything on a p4 yet? I'm considering selling my P3A for an inspire one or a P4 if there is one being released.
I can only judge the I1 and P3 when I look at the Utube videos, saying that the I1 is a lot bigger and I think has a bit lower airtime than the P3. Not heard about a P4....just thinking if they will bring anything other bird in the run up to the holidays.

My bigger drones make more noise. Even though the props are 16" and turn slower, the tip speed is just as fast. Longer way around so tip has to travel faster, 4" out the blade is slower.

The really noisy full scale helis with very slow rotor speeds still sometimes break the sound barrier at the tip of the blades, that is that very loud whapwhap we hear at times.

You can make a quieter MR, it would probably require shrouding of the blades and that may come soon. This can be more efficient and if they tilt much faster with less energy used to fly. There already are several flying designs like that.

Stand by we are in the infancy of this hobby...
Cheers for the info here.

I have a P3A and a Q500 from yuneec. The Q is way quieter. I can take off on my street at night and attract no attention, it's that quiet. However, even though the phantom is louder, I don't think it's that obnoxious and I actually like that it has a little more noise in the sky, as it helps to locate it for me. Eyes AND ears for me is helpful. Not only is the Q remarkably quiet on the ground, it's down right silent in the air and that can be a challenge itself.

Yep, it's a noisy bugger (swarm of angry bees) - I tend not to fly around suburban areas with take off & landings as it brings attention to yourself, which I don't enjoy.
Yes, this would be my problem too...like having a big arrow pointing at my head!

Nickyb...have you still not purchased a P3?

Bro I told you before and I'm telling you again, buy one now before you miss out lol.

Your doubting too much on horror stories, if you want a reputable seller in the UK then I advise you buy from Maplin, I had cracks on my shell and Maplin changed it for me.

You have been on the forum a while and can see your really active too, once again I say it...GO BUY ONE NOW, STOP HOLDING YOURSELF BACK FOR CHRISTMAS LoL
Nearly there LOL!!

Welcome to my world, if you purchase a Phantom 3 Pro'. Winning.
It's been stellar and I have never encountered a problem with it.
Absolutely fantastic. Love being on the top league champion team. @dji!! So Awesome. Thank you.
In other words, please enjoy yours even half as much, and you will be thrilled.

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl