IF..... the iPad dies during a flight ?

If you want to be double pedantic, if the iPad is controlling the controller, and the controller is controlling the drone, is the iPad not indirectly controlling the drone?

True. But that's not using the iPad AS the controller. In that situation, the app can completely crash and it will have no effect on the mission. I actually experienced this just 2 days ago on a job. The app crashed, but I let the drone finish its mission umimpeded.

And ATTI mode (AKA: The panic button) takes the drone out of ANY intelligent flight mode, INCLUDING RTH. So while your statement is technically true, it goes without saying and proves nothing regarding what the iPad is or isn't doing.

D
Mainly the RC controls the AC and not the mobile,You are right. The only conrtol via RC to the AC is the record control of the cam on AC,nothing else.

Mainly the RC controls the AC and not the mobile,You are right. The only conrtol via RC to the AC is the record control of the cam on AC,nothing else.
I hate to keep beating this dead horse, but your last assertion is patently false. There are apps that not only control the camera's record button, but there are apps that also control the camera's *movement* VIA the controller. Yes, technically the controller is directly controlling the camera movement. But INDIRECTLY, the remote control's "joystick movement" is being controlled by the iPad. These are completely automated missions.

Here's an example of a video I produced for a client (shown with permission).

All the drone footage - every frame - was automated. Read: No input from me. I simply hit the "Engage" button and sit back. Every aspect of the flight - including camera movement - is automated.

In this situation, if the iPad becomes disconnected from the controller, or if the app crashes, or if the drone loses signal to the RC, the drone mission STOPS, and the drone hovers in place. I have to regain control and start the mission over from the beginning.

Now, I concede that in most drone flying situations, the iPad does NOT control the drone. But you can't blanketly state that "The only conrtol via RC to the AC is the record control of the cam on AC,nothing else." That statement is patently false.

D

Not really. The mission is uploaded to the bird via radio and follow the programcounter im internal memory of the bird. You can interrupt the mission any time with the radio if it´s done with the DJI Go app. If you do that with Litchi then the bird does not require any connection to the radio and flies the mission to the end. May be i patiently false. I forgot to say without mobile during take off the bird has been kicked to the beginner mode.

Not really. The mission is uploaded to the bird via radio and follow the programcounter im internal memory of the bird. You can interrupt the mission any time with the radio if it´s done with the DJI Go app. If you do that with Litchi then the bird does not require any connection to the radio and flies the mission to the end. May be i patiently false. I forgot to say without mobile during take off the bird has been kicked to the beginner mode.
You are correct that the Go App and Go 4 Apps are nothing more than vehicles for telemetry information and adjusting user settings. I'm unfamiliar with how Litchi works, as I've never used it. However, I assure you that Autopilot essentially does what the moniker suggests. It becomes the pilot AND the camera op. The app dictates where the drone flies and the drone's camera movement. Interrupt the app in any way shape or form and the flight will stop. As well, the camera movements will stop.

The reason we're talking past one another is because we are comparing apples to oranges. If you have no experience with an app that essentially becomes the Flight Controller, then you simply don't know any better. Take my word for it - there are many subtle layers of "control." I've been using automation apps for many years. Not all drone apps behave the same.

D

You are correct that the Go App and Go 4 Apps are nothing more than vehicles for telemetry information and adjusting user settings. I'm unfamiliar with how Litchi works, as I've never used it. However, I assure you that Autopilot essentially does what the moniker suggests. It becomes the pilot AND the camera op. The app dictates where the drone flies and the drone's camera movement. Interrupt the app in any way shape or form and the flight will stop. As well, the camera movements will stop.
You are still being pedantic and still missing the point.
The controller controls the drone and the iPad displays the camera view and telemetry.
Lose the iPad and you still have control of the drone.

Autopilot works just like Litchi except that instead of uploading waypoints and instructions to the drone's internal memory, it relays them through the controller in real time.
The drone is still getting control inputs from the controller whether they come from a pilot manipulating the joysticks or instructions recorded to an app.
But, if you were to lose the iPad on an Autopilot mission, you wouldn't lose signal connection and you would still have control of the drone via the connector.
If you have no experience with an app that essentially becomes the Flight Controller, then you simply don't know any better.
If you think your app becomes the controller, try running your flight from the app without a controller sometime and see how far you get.

You are still being pedantic and still missing the point.
The controller controls the drone and the iPad displays the camera view and telemetry.
Lose the iPad and you still have control of the drone.
Correct. But you lose the mission and have to start over. Remember, I said "flight will stop." I did NOT say that one could not control the drone via the joysticks. You're erroneously interpreting my syntax to mean that the PILOT "loses control." Read back. I never said that. The APP loses control.

Autopilot works just like Litchi except that instead of uploading waypoints and instructions to the drone's internal memory, it relays them through the controller in real time.
Correct. So you agree. Lose the app, the drone hovers in place (or may RTH for some other apps). You lose the mission and have to start over. At least that's how Autopilot works.

Where we're talking past one another is regarding the word "control." YES, you can still *control* the drone through the RC (providing the RC is still connected to the AC, of course). I never said you couldn't. My assertion has always been that you lose the mission and have to start over. At least that's how it works with Autopilot.

The drone is still getting control inputs from the controller whether they come from a pilot manipulating the joysticks or instructions recorded to an app.
Yep. As I've stated a half dozen times, if the app crashes, the mission stops. I never even suggested that the pilot "loses control."

But, if you were to lose the iPad on an Autopilot mission, you wouldn't lose signal connection and you would still have control of the drone via the connector.
Correct.

If you think your app becomes the controller, try running your flight from the app without a controller sometime and see how far you get.
I guess you missed this:

1614574562464.png

AND THIS:

1614574329632.png

Clearly we agree with one another. But for some reason you missed my assertion that the iPad controls the drone VIA the controller. Let me say that again; VIA the controller. I conceded to that quite a while ago.

D

Hi Harleydude,
what was the most common issue that let the iPad dies ? Now i know what you mean with it,when you use Autopilot on the iPad.
Autopilot requires full communication between the iPad(mobile) and bird via radio. You can plan missions on it and let the bird fly that mission? Litchi can do that too. But you don´t need to plan that on mobile,but you need many details of that area of flight.
Litch can combine 2 - 3 functions with the waypoint and cam control. I guess you do it with Autopilot.

Hi Harleydude,
what was the most common issue that let the iPad dies ?
I've never had an iPad "die" per-se. What I HAVE experienced are app crashes. The iPad remains on and functional, but the app does not. This occurs more often in hotter situations. I have learned to keep the iPad cool, which negates most app crashes.

Now i know what you mean with it,when you use Autopilot on the iPad.
Autopilot requires full communication between the iPad(mobile) and bird via radio.
Correct. I should qualify this by saying that it depends on the mission type. But, yes, for the most part, Autopilot BECOMES the Flight Controller. Semantically, the iPad controls the controller which controls the drone.

You can plan missions on it and let the bird fly that mission?
Yes. I have several missions stored in multiple iPads (for redundancy). Autopilot is tricky, because building missions at home, one can only get a "sense" of how the mission will execute. I initially write missions at my home, but then ultimately they have to be tested and tweaked in the field. The good news is that once they are written I have them forever (in theory).

Litchi can do that too. But you don´t need to plan that on mobile,but you need many details of that area of flight.
I've never used Litchi, but a lot of pilots do. I assume it's a good program.

Litch can combine 2 - 3 functions with the waypoint and cam control. I guess you do it with Autopilot.
Correct. Basically, it works out like this (for me). I use Autopilot for all video missions and MapPilot for mapping (still photos). For Traffic Analysis I use GSPro, but not to actually fly the mission. I just use it to mark my point in space so that my shots are consistent. I rarely "fly by stick" any more. I get my "flight practice" in by returning the drone from most missions in ATTI mode and landing and/or hand catching in ATTI mode.

D

Last edited:
Turn on the Drone and RC but do not connect the iPad or whatever else you fly with, and fly the drone visually.
In fact, in my opinion as i also fly RC aircraft, it's a good idea to learn to fly the Drone in ATTI Mode where you are totally in control except for the barometer will help to hold altitude.
Go on, try it, but obviously keep the drone in sight (which is a legal requirement here in the UK).

Is the copter allways in ATTI mode if you fly it without mobile? Not really,otherwise you force the system be in ATTI-mode.

The same is on the Standard but without P-Opti. The rest si a good explantation for newcomer.?:)

I have that one. I fly the P3S over 3 years. and i know about the differences between the Standard and Advanced.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20