Ideas for P4 Aerial Ash dispersion

Dude literally just about to ask if that would work and then hard wire this to the led circuit SwellPRO Splash Drone Spare Part Waterproof Payload Release

Yes that would work, The link you showed me is just the servo and bracket to hold the servo and for that price is Kinda expensive, That servo holder will not fit the P4

Below is what I Designed, In the video what I'm holding is the sensor, When I uncover the sensor and release you can see how it move the servo, Technically you will need to stick this sensor on the Front LED and it will work how I demonstrate in the video, Mean when you turn the LED on Payload will be armed

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

20160510_102528.jpg
20160510_102649.jpg
1463584227914.jpg

I Designed the Bracket and in process designing the holder
I had to redesign the entire box since i change from Micro servo to Mini servo, Since the Micro servo get jammed if you load anything more than 100grams, However the Box length is 140mm since the component inside

I programmed a Circuit Board to do the job
I used 3.7V battery and programmed another circuit board to supply sufficient power to the servo and regulate it

Component I used, Servo, 2 Circuit Board & 3.7V 1200Mah Battery
Much cheaper this way but the only thing cost me much is to 3d print the box since I don't own a 3d printer and the shop where I'm printing kinda cutting my throat

Last edited:
Wow thats very cool. Are you planning to produce these and sell them or just making one for yourself?

Wow thats very cool. Are you planning to produce these and sell them or just making one for yourself?

I'm actually making one for fishing, I had many ideas like using cloth pegs etc but I'm kinda like something nice, Once complete I can make one if anyone wants it, It takes 10 minutes to program the circuit board, 15 minutes to assemble and 6 hours of 3d printing, Keep an eye on my WIP thread

Drone Fishing

Ok woke up this mornong with a new idea for this. So i have been a little conserned that with the weight of whatever payload container + delivery system + ashes will be such that i wont be able to put much of the remains in the container and so when deployed it will be rather anticlimactic and not visually cool on video. . .

Enter new idea: Long thin wire (approx 10 feet) being used dual purpose to first hold a payload in the form of a balloon filled with ashes and 2nd to deliver a current to a model rocket engine ignitor that is stuffed in a M80 firecracker that is also in the balloon. .

So i fly up, point the camera down at the balloon hanging by the skids with the wire and then turn on the front led which triggers the explosion which im hoping is big enough to provide some flair (literally going out with a bang) but not so big as to damage anything. .

THOUGHTS?

No no no. So the balloon is simply used to hold the ashes and the m-80 firecracker inside. So balloon or ziplock or whatever I decide to put the ashes in is simply just the container now. To attach the balloon or whatever to the skid of the P4 i will use thin speaker wire and the balloon will be lifted into the air roughly ten feet or so below the drone. Now to explode the firecracker, I'm going to use either a model rocket engine igniter or some other type of mechanism to set the firecracker off electronically, but I will need power and ground for that to function. So since I used electrical wire to suspend the balloon I can use that same wire to connect to the ignition mechanism and the power source, ie the drone. So theoretically I turn on the front LEDs and power is sent down the wire to inside the balloon and boom.

The driver circuit for the LEDs may not be able to supply the current, or better put, survive the dead-short the ignitor creates.

More than likely I'll use a small relay and 9 volt battery triggered by the LED signal because I doubt the LED voltage is enough to ignite the firecracker

Very crude drawing but basically the gist of what I'm thinking. orange box at the top consisting of a simple power on relay attached to a 9 volt battery and then down the wire

Attachments

• 1464370272424.jpg
    1464370272424.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 376
Jason, unfortunately the weight of the ashes is probably around 5 lbs and the P4 will barely lift 2-3. It was a nice thought and sorry for your loss.
He could spread the ashes in 2 or 3 loads, different locations even.

I really like the "going out with a bang" theme. I may include this in my will of wishes.

If you're going to have the camera looking down at the device to video tape the event, I suggest you make the wire more like 30' long to lower the risk of pieces hitting the craft/camera from the M80 explosion, as well as being in a full throttle ascent when you set off the device.

Just do this in a rural area with no strangers, the noise could draw attention. I can just see the headlines..... Drone delivers explosive devices..... bla bla bla.

Last edited:
Can't you send the ashes up on a massive beautiful firework and record it with the P4 at a similar height just at sunset for some magical colors and scenery, perhaps attach a banner/flag to the P4 with some nice words flying through the sky, I think this would make for a more emotional, beautiful and impressive vid. Sorry for your loss, godspeed.

Can't you send the ashes up on a massive beautiful firework and record it with the P4 at a similar height just at sunset for some magical colors and scenery, perhaps attach a banner/flag to the P4 with some nice words flying through the sky, I think this would make for a more emotional, beautiful and impressive vid. Sorry for your loss, godspeed.
It's funny you should mention that I I'm already in the works of creating a few mortar shells with his ashes in it as well. I wasn't using all of the ashes with the P4 >:)

Reactions: Ibmftw
It's funny you should mention that I I'm already in the works of creating a few mortar shells with his ashes in it as well. I wasn't using all of the ashes with the P4 >:)
Nice and good luck, make sure you catch the footage well.

Jason,

Sorry for your loss...

I used to have a sailplane when I was a kid, that had a time fuse at the horizontal stabilizer. The stabilizer was held down with a spring. You would lid the fuse, and throw the plane. After the fuse was all "burned up", it would release the HS and the plane would land. It worked like a charm! Maybe you can try something similar?

Take the ashes and tie them into a cloth. The cloth is held together with the fuse. Attach the cloth upside down to the P4. Set the fuse and take off. Once the fuse is all burned up, the cloth will open and the ashes fill fall out. Pretty simple. Take a look at the link...

How to Make Slow Burning Fuses from Yarn, Sugar, & Potassium Nitrate « Mad Science

Thanks,

Kmd

p.s. The fuses that I have seen lately smoke a lot. Mine did not do that. It was not really burning but rather "simmer". (Sorry, English is not my native language and I cannot come up with a better word...)

p.p.s. Maybe it is better if you have the fuse open a small, very light box with a spring loaded lid...

Reactions: JasonP4
Jason,

Sorry for your loss...

I used to have a sailplane when I was a kid, that had a time fuse at the horizontal stabilizer. The stabilizer was held down with a spring. You would lid the fuse, and throw the plane. After the fuse was all "burned up", it would release the HS and the plane would land. It worked like a charm! Maybe you can try something similar?

Take the ashes and tie them into a cloth. The cloth is held together with the fuse. Attach the cloth upside down to the P4. Set the fuse and take off. Once the fuse is all burned up, the cloth will open and the ashes fill fall out. Pretty simple. Take a look at the link...

How to Make Slow Burning Fuses from Yarn, Sugar, & Potassium Nitrate « Mad Science

Thanks,

Kmd

p.s. The fuses that I have seen lately smoke a lot. Mine did not do that. It was not really burning but rather "simmer". (Sorry, English is not my native language and I cannot come up with a better word...)

p.p.s. Maybe it is better if you have the fuse open a small, very light box with a spring loaded lid...
Actually a very good idea and something i was thinking this morning but with the m80 explosive still involved. I already have a bunch of cannon fuse (well my dad did anyways, so see this was made for him lol) all i would need to do is program a waypoint into smartfly and time how long it takes to get into position then time how fast the fuse burns and cut length accordingly. .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers