Ideal Sunhans Setup (if suggested)

Reaction score
Hey Guys -

I have a Phantom 3 Standard which doesn't get great range. Don't remember exact numbers from last test but couldn't go over 1/2 mile on an open farm. I upgraded to a DBS antenna a while back which seemed to only help a small amount. Don't think Icarus would help as live in Tennessee therefore FCC and seemingly its for European use.

I've read great things about installing Sunhans amps so thought that may be my next best bet. Just had couple of quick questions, first, please...

1. Should I use the DBS mod with the amps or better to go back to stock antennas?

2. What (how many / which model(s)) would I need exactly? See variety of "strengths" on Amazon plus see some have a pair of 2.4Ghz but only one 5Ghz amp. Is a config perhaps to simply ensure control has better range than video?

Thanks!

Ok - After thinking about it, get that a pair of 2.4 and single 5ghz is due to controller having 3 antennas - duh. Still curious about the variety of models plus, if I should use DBS with it, and if amps would be best 'bang for buck' for upgrade. Thanks!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
What antenna system you have is basically immaterial ... I had Argtek and hit over 5kms easily with boosters.

Basically you can use one 2.4 and one 5.8 amp. but I planned on using two 2.4's for redundancy ....

Where you will have differences depending on what amp's you use - is power reqt's.

My 2.4 amps were 6V max .. so needed a BEC circuit to drop the voltage to the required 6V max.
My 5.8 amp could work up to 20V - so raw power could go from the battery used.

My power of choice was a 2S 6.6V LiFe pack of 1500mAh .......... with a 5A 5V BEC to power the 2.4 amps ...

The battery sat by velcro just above the neck strap fitting on the Controller. The BEC and leads then neatly taped to the antenna bridge.

I did intend to mount all the gear on a Tx Tray I had from my regular RC models ... but I had a mishap of over-running my battery and AC went for a swim never to work again.

I agree that I was not using Sunhans ... I have actually an unused Sunhans 2.4 still in its box ! but the principle and use is same. The only matter is the voltage to be used for the amp.

I would not consider modifying to use the Controller power as this is only 3.7V (4.2V max).

Hope the above helps.

Nigel

@Nigel

Thank you for the explanation and the photos. I have a P3S and a whole lotta pine trees goin on hyar!
I am trying to purchase the right items from Amazon as they have some inexpensive sunhans clones both for the 5.8 and 2.4 freqs.
Both boosters are from Sinmax. 4W on the 2.4 and 5W on the 5.8. They are configured like Sunhans, but have black cases, and they both use 6V - 16V, so I’ll be able to use one of my old Syma X8C batteries.
I already have the latest Argteck system. I can tell the signal is somewhat stronger, but my distance doesn’t show it because of a few spindly pine trees. I’m hoping that these boosters will burn the tops out of the trees, but in any case, it should help when I go elsewhere to “reach for the sky!”

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I hate to reply to myself, but I installed the new boosters yesterday. I have to tell somebody!
My previous longest flight between the pine trees was around 1600’, but yesterday, I flew toward my previous high record, blew right through it, and went to 2770’. I’m still hoping to get more distance but that is about 1000m, which is, I think, what DJI promised, and I expected to get while my chopper was stock.
I plan to take it somewhere where I can stretch its wings soon, so I’ll get back with you guys after that.
[emoji4][emoji854][emoji12]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl