I want a weather station setup

latest

Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 3.17.56 PM.png

Hey, what's this WE crap?
o_O you here too bro !
What no breakfast this morning ?
Try some Wheaties in the morning and ya feel better !
nut free.jpg
:D

TJ,

Have you installed your station yet, how's it all going?
Trying to figure out a mounting pole. I need to put it in a meadow (not mine, but allowed), but the meadow gets mowed once a summer for overflow campers during the festival they have here. I figured it would go higher than 7 feet so my pole is too big (I sure get tired of saying that :D), so I am thinking a five gallon bucket filled with concrete with a PVC pipe in the center just larger than my pole. This way I can move it if needed and the pole will be removable for maintenance, etc. Good idea or bad? And do I need to worry about wind sway? We get a lot of wind here at 1700 ft above sea level.

Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 3.30.49 PM.png

Last edited:
Trying to figure out a mounting pole. I need to put it in a meadow (not mine, but allowed), but the meadow gets mowed once a summer for overflow campers during the festival they have here. I figured it would go higher than 7 feet so my pole is too big (I sure get tired of saying that :D), so I am thinking a five gallon bucket filled with concrete with a PVC pipe in the center just larger than my pole. This way I can move it if needed and the pole will be removable for maintenance, etc. Good idea or bad? And do I need to worry about wind sway? We get a lot of wind here at 1700 ft above sea level.
Have seen a lot of campers use that with their Satellite dishes and seemed to work fine as long as they had them level .
You could anchor it down some how .

Reactions: Clampit
offtopic.gif

Yeah but satellite dishes are on a short pole. Apparently it needs to be level and stable to read correctly.

Do you have met post stakes in the US if yes I would drive that into the ground bolt you fence post to that then fit your station on the post. As & when it can be removed for maintenance.

You want the pole as rigid as possible so ya get accurate wind/rain readings.

Check this link out for an idea of what I'm talking about;)

http://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.c...rden_fence_post_spike_75mm_3_inch_P27432.html

Reactions: dirkclod
Have seen a lot of campers use that with their Satellite dishes and seemed to work fine as long as they had them level .
You could anchor it down some how .
How bout if ya put a piece of pipe in the ground that ya can put your pole in and take it out if ya need to .
Just keep the one in the ground level with the ground so no one will trip on it .

Reactions: IflyinWY
How bout if ya put a piece of pipe in the ground that ya can put your pole in and take it out if ya need to .
Just keep the one in the ground level with the ground so no one will trip on it .

Just like a washing line pole do you guys have them over there?

The pole I use is a galvenised 3inch diameter 5mm thick washing line pole.
It's about 1.5 metres above the ground also very strong

View attachment 21779

The bucket doesn't sound like a bad idea. It shouldn't move and you could bury it part way to make sure. How long is your pole (the one for the weather station)? :D You could shim between the PVC and the pole to tighten it up if needed.

Aww CRAP! My phone just started blaring at me... dang TORNADO watch in effect! Perfect, I am at the top of the mountain here in a camper. This should get interesting. Going off again telling me to seek shelter. Sure wish I had the station working!
Hope I don't end up like this! :confused:
Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 3.54.48 PM.png

The National Weather Service in Binghamton has issued a
* Tornado Warning for...
southeastern Onondaga County in central New York...
southwestern Madison County in central New York...
northern Cortland County in central New York...
northwestern Chenango County in central New York...
east central Cayuga County in central New York...
* until 415 PM EDT

:eek:

Pole in the ground, flush with the dirt. Pole in the pole to hold your WX station... Just like Dirk said.
Put a cap over the pole in the ground when not in use.

Bucket of cement will tip over in high wind, or when the rain makes the ground soft.

Porky had a good idea to, with the post stake.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West