I think some guy wanted to fight me

Reaction score
This morning I was flying over a pond at a local park. I was the only one there when I started and there were maybe a half dozen people feeding the ducks off to the side of me by the time I left.

I was 15 minutes into my flight or so when I hear someone yelling "keep moving/flying motherf----r". I look down and some guy walking a couple of dogs is looking at me. I looked back to my FPV and he kept rambling, the only other thing I could make out was "I'll break that" or something to that effect. He eventually wondered off. I didn't look at him again or make any acknowledgement that I even heard him. My glance at him was so quick I couldn't even tell you about what age he was. I'll have to check my video later, maybe he's on it.

I just checked my telemetry and I was 90 feet up at the time, so I can't imagine him thinking his life was in danger? I may have slowed down somewhere close enough to him that maybe he thought I was purposely making a video/spying on him? Thus the "keep moving" comment. I definitely wasn't as the first time I even realized he was there was when he started yelling.

Was I being reckless in some way or was this guy just a drone-conspiracy nut? I was flying very gentle and slowly, I wasn't zipping around trying to show off or anything. I was particularly careful since it was a public park, although there were hardly any people around (and I never flew overhead of anyone). I was even careful not to freak out the ducks—for the record they didn't seem to care about the Phantom at all.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I don't know the rules in the USA for flying in a public park - in Canada I haven't seen any restrictions for same either. Federal and protected lands are a no-no up here but since you were in a near vacant "public park" and by the sounds of it you were flying responsibly - you made sure you went when not a lot or no one was around and weren't "hot doggin" or anything like that!

Sounds like you had the misfortune of running into just one miserable sob who likes to complain for the sake of complaining. Good on you for ignoring him - best thing to do.

On the lighter side here - when you were watching or filming the ducks - did you happen to notice any "one legged ones" - just curious, if a one-legged duck swims in a circle? LOL!

Continued safe and "idiot free" zone flying Cannikin!

there are idiots everywhere, and they are trying to ruin your day. Sorry this happened to you, but I doubt there is any real reason for it.

Just someone with something to prove. You went there when there were no people. Other people came later, so it is up to them.

No use trying to engage a numskull like that.

I am sure it ruined your time there, and you are still thinking about it. Just remember, you can't please everyone and mental problems abound in the US.

Jealousy - he wanted one, but his wife wouldn't let him get one because of her addition to high priced Very Bradley merchandise. His only solace is in walking his dogs because they understand him. You intruded on his only sanctuary and reminded him of his desires and his lot in life.

Or maybe not. But it's fun giving backstories. Paranoia on his behalf - he's a big deal in his mind, so you must be out to get him.

Did it seem to bother the ducks at all? I could see people being upset if they were feeding the ducks and you were scaring them, but typically when there is food around they don't care too much about anything else!

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Did it seem to bother the ducks at all? I could see people being upset if they were feeding the ducks and you were scaring them, but typically when there is food around they don't care too much about anything else!

Nope, they didn't seem to care at all! I started low over the water maybe 10' up just to gauge their reaction and they just seemed to lazily swim out from directly beneath, but other than that it was business as usual. A flick of seagulls flew around it as well as I hovered. I'm hoping I got some good footage of that!

On the lighter side here - when you were watching or filming the ducks - did you happen to notice any "one legged ones" - just curious, if a one-legged duck swims in a circle? LOL!
duck1.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
This morning I was flying over a pond at a local park. I was the only one there when I started and there were maybe a half dozen people feeding the ducks off to the side of me by the time I left.

I was 15 minutes into my flight or so when I hear someone yelling "keep moving/flying motherf----r". I look down and some guy walking a couple of dogs is looking at me. I looked back to my FPV and he kept rambling, the only other thing I could make out was "I'll break that" or something to that effect. He eventually wondered off. I didn't look at him again or make any acknowledgement that I even heard him. My glance at him was so quick I couldn't even tell you about what age he was. I'll have to check my video later, maybe he's on it.

I just checked my telemetry and I was 90 feet up at the time, so I can't imagine him thinking his life was in danger? I may have slowed down somewhere close enough to him that maybe he thought I was purposely making a video/spying on him? Thus the "keep moving" comment. I definitely wasn't as the first time I even realized he was there was when he started yelling.

Was I being reckless in some way or was this guy just a drone-conspiracy nut? I was flying very gentle and slowly, I wasn't zipping around trying to show off or anything. I was particularly careful since it was a public park, although there were hardly any people around (and I never flew overhead of anyone). I was even careful not to freak out the ducks—for the record they didn't seem to care about the Phantom at all.
I'm starting to believe that drones are getting a bad rap in general. All that's reported are how they may be dangerous, invade privacy, too close to airports etc. I think the guy at the park had a negative view of drones regardless of how or where you were flying. When I bought my vision plus about a year ago I never gave it a second thought about people's reactions. They were mostly curious and fascinated by the drone. Now I am way more careful about where and when I fly. Skinny

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.