I just took the UAG 107 exam...

Reaction score
...at the AKT in Concord, CA, and I passed! Woo-hoo!

I posted some info here when I was first scrambling for study resources. For those still prep'ping, here's some pointers/observations that helped me pass (disclaimer: your mileage may vary!).

One of the best testing resources I found is here (http://jrupprechtlaw.com/part-107-test-study-guide). His logical explanation of the correct answers to sample questions are excellent. 'Hope I never need an attorney, but this guy's online resources are great.

Second, 3D Robotics now has some good exam prep info, and a larger collection of sample questions than I've found elsewhere (for-free). However, I found some typos and inaccuracies in the Q&As (the wrong airport/sectional area was even referenced in one question), but finding those helped to boost my confidence!

Other invaluable (yet free) online resources I used include:
Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/pilot_handbook.pdf) This is the "bible".

FAA Aeronautical Chart User's Guide (FAA Aeronautical Chart User's Guide)

SkyVector Sectional Maps: https://skyvector.com/ (incredible)

Airman's Knowledge Testing Supplement: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf (this is the only reference material you are allowed to use during the exam, a copy provided by the AKT, along with a pencil/scratch paper. Read it... Know it...Live it!).

Pilot Training System (YouTube Video series): Pilot Training System
These really helped me with weather.

Part 107 UAS Course/sample test Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov This is for pilots who want 107 certification. Great training for 107 rules, NONE of the other info you'd be presumed to already know as a pilot. (one could easily ace this course and still fail the 107 exam without a lot of addt'l study)

My only expense, (besides the $150 exam fee), was the purchase of the book "Ground School -- The Pilot's Manual PM2" for $33 from Amazon. It is a good supplement to the Pilot's Handbook, and easier to curl up with than a PDF every night to study, but I probably would have passed without it.

I also took and re-took every other sample test I could find online until every question was familiar. Then I made up my own questions based on the sample test questions to be sure I understood the concepts behind each question. I probably averaged 2 hous/day for 45 days in total study-time.

About the test:
I'm sure everyone's experience will be different, but I found only around 3 or 4 questions in the actual exam were questions I'd seen before in sample exams, but there were not a lot of total curve-balls (mostly the same concepts applied to different examples). So memorizing the Sample Test Q&As without understanding them probably won't help pass the exam.

There were a lot more questions requiring knowledge of Sectional Chart reading and airspace than I'd expected, and less questions about weather than I'd expected. In many cases, finding the two clearly wrong answers was the key to selecting the right one. In other cases, common sense was the key. Although not specifically referenced in any questions, I found the Legend 1: Sectional Aeronautical Chart in the Testing Supplement to be a very helpful resource during the test.

Leave your mobile phone, scratch paper, pen/pencil in your glove-box. I brought a simple calculator, a protractor, and my driver's license. The PC testing app at this AKT included a calculator, so I didn't need mine, but the protractor helped a lot with reading Sectionals.

Anyway, I'm still a bit giddy, and don't know if I should celebrate, or just collapse in my hammock for the next 3 days. 'glad I won't have to do it again for 24 months!

Congratulations! And, thanks for providing such a well detailed post on the study resources available.

Reactions: Pharm

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic