I hit the Max Height limit! 1654.2 FT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because YOU don't think that flight over 400 ft meets YOUR definition of common sense does not give you or anyone else the right ask the moderators to censure posts about flights that violate YOUR limits.
Ya got that **** right !!.jpg

We're in agreement on #1.
On #2, however, the FAA can't just "make rules". First, by law, rules have to be proposed, then a public comment period is opened, then the rules are finalized. This normally takes a few years. The Part 107 rules, on the other hand are moving at an unprecedented bureaucratic light-speed. Second, the FAA is constrained by Congress in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 from making any rules for model aircraft operation. the FAA can't do anything about hobby flight without permission from Congress.

We're in agreement on LOS. However, when Part 107 rules for commercial use of small UAS are finalized, it appears that hobby use of FPV will be illegal. Few people seem to have noticed this.

On high altitude flight - there are many parts of the USA that rarely have any aircraft overflights. (One of the selection criteria for the FAA UAS test areas was that there were no VFR or IFR routes over them). Where I live in Central Massachusetts, I can go weeks without seeing a single aircraft in the air. (Unfortunately for pilots, Massachusetts has the lowest number of airports per-capita than any other US state.) The odds of my drone and the rare occurrence of a manned aircraft in the same part of the immensely huge airspace is infinitesimal. I never fly above 400 ft anyway, but there are no FAA rules that say I can't. That's my point - there are no rules saying I can't fly over 400 ft. Just because YOU don't think that flight over 400 ft meets YOUR definition of common sense does not give you or anyone else the right ask the moderators to censure posts about flights that violate YOUR limits.

While you seem to be on top of things for your neck of the woods, most people aren't.

That's fine you disagree with my thoughts on this matter. However, since you disagree with me, that means I don't have the "right" to suggest things for this website or voice my opinions?

Given your comments, your hypocrisy is pretty evident.

You said:
When will the staff here start directly addressing those who insist on exceeding the limits placed upon responsible flight?

Asking the forum moderators to police users according to your determination of responsible flight is not opinion.

You said:

Asking the forum moderators to police users according to your determination of responsible flight is not opinion.

It isn't MY determination of responsible flight. It is the FAA's. One that seems to be shared by a good many of the members here.

The FAA WILL make life more difficult for us due to the irresponsible flights of others who haven't the sense to keep their flights that do not meet the FAA's guidelines to themselves. It's fine that you're so secure in the knowledge that the FAA has to go through Congress to make things happen where hobby level flight is concerned. That doesn't mean for one second that once public opinion becomes burdensome to Congress concerning our UAV's that things won't change, and change QUICKLY, to the detriment of all involved in this.

The fact that I've had over 25 years in Aviation to draw experience from is what allows my opinion to mostly agree with the FAA's guidelines for RESPONSIBLE flight except as noted above concerning LOS.

Just because you disagree with me doesn't give you the power to determine what I should or should not say on these forums. As long as I remain within the rules of this forum, then you are just going to have to deal with it.

He is allowed to ask. And to be clear, BlackHawk388 didn't decide 400ft was a safe limit. The FAA did.

Reactions: BlackHawk388
By the way. You're sure assuming a lot about my intent when I said:

"When will the staff here start directly addressing those who insist on exceeding the limits placed upon responsible flight."

You seem determined to have an argument. I wonder what your argument will be once irresponsible UAV owners, I will no longer refer to all of them as pilots because pilots care about the hobby and don't want to harm the already tenuous reputation of UAV's, force the FAA to place hard regulations on this hobby.

banning will never happen.

too much money involved...

just sayin...

UAV's won't be banned, it will just be illegal to fly them without first jumping through 50 hoops of bureaucracy.

Here's something that came up in another thread that applies to this topic.

What a lot of people seem to overlook is that the FAA is a federal entity.

States can enact rules, regulations and laws independent of federal laws. The old saying we used in the Army is true here.

You can add too, but not take away from, the regulations. Big Army has their regulations which must be followed. Each lower chain of command can add to those regulations but they cannot arbitrarily choose to disregard the regulations from higher. This is why I'm left SMDH when people insist on arguing about how FAA guidelines are JUST guidelines while they fly their drones at high altitudes.

Keep up the irresponsible practice of posting videos of your 1500' flights or long range, out of LOS flights, and States will take it upon themselves to add to, or simply create, their own regulations and laws concerning our hobby.

I went 400 feet today... then 401... then 402... wow... what a feeling.

I went 400 feet today... then 401... then 402... wow... what a feeling.

I've gone to 450' due to sunlight washing out the display on my cellphone.

I may have gone higher at other points. My main issue with this thread, and those like them, is posting videos and such bragging about it.

Just like cresting a ridge line in Combat, you don't want to silhouette yourself to the enemy. So you keep a low profile to reduce incoming fire. I call that common sense. Evidently, not everyone agrees with that assessment.

Keep up the irresponsible practice of posting videos of your 1500' flights or long range, out of LOS flights, and States will take it upon themselves to add to, or simply create, their own regulations and laws concerning our hobby.

49 USC § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace
(a)Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit.—
(1)
The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.

In other words, states cannot regulate flight. Period.

You can complain all you want about people not following your rules, but the sky is not falling and the fear mongering that it is does real damage to the hobby.

Reactions: snerd
In my area 99% of planes are just a dot in the sky. I had 2 spotters with me that were looking to be sure that that 1% wasnt around. Im 45 miles from Metro Airport, 21 from Ann Arbor airport and 39 from Toledo airport.

This is a guy not thinking straight at all. No way could any spotter see the phantom at this height.

(1)
The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.

You can complain all you want about people not following your rules, but the sky is not falling and the fear mongering that it is does real damage to the hobby.
Politics does indeed make for strange bedfellows. :cool:

I gonna use that Russian hack to fly about 600m high about 2 miles from my local municipal airport after work today. That way if this thread gets locked we can continue on a new one!

In reality tho... I agree with the rules the FAA has but also users don't need to be crucified everything they fly past the limits that someone else thinks are safe.

I have broke the 400' magic line and the LOS recommendation. If people just use a little caution and common sense surpassing those limits should not be a issue.

Go enjoy your phantom and stop bitching about how someone thousands of miles away is enjoying there's!!!

Reactions: snerd
I don't think the hand-wringers "can" enjoy it. They're too busy worrying about everybody else!

Reactions: phantom13flyer
(1)

You call it fear mongering. I call it common sense appreciation for the freedoms we have to operate within established guidelines. Evidently, you're limited in your scope.

The U.S. does have exclusivity on airspace. What you simply INSIST on not recognizing is the laws a State can write to limit one from ever taking off in the first place or, limiting WHERE AND WHEN they can fly. Laws can be written to completely exclude the Federal government.

I'm ALL about less government and less intrusion on my damned life. Having such beliefs, I CHOOSE to not poke the beast. I will not FORCE the government to intrude on my life once the greater, non-flying public gets tired of people like YOU thinking you have every right to do whatever you want with these things.

But hey. You keep on doing what you're doing. When the rules are changed and the limits are set in stone, I look forward to your lamenting just HOW the changes came about. Your confusion will give me tremendous laughter. You are part of the problem. I choose to be part of the solution. I can only hope that there are enough real, common sense having people out there who respect the guidelines so we aren't put into a restrictive, fun killing environment.

In my opinion there shouldn't be a height limit in the app. There are no laws or regulations on the books today limiting height, at least not in the US. If there were then that's another story and by all means throw whatever that limit is in as the max height.

It's weird that DJi picked 500m to begin with. You would think they would have gone with the 400ft limit instead as this is the guideline, not law, in the US. I believe that same guideline says to maintain Line of Sight yet there isn't a hard max distance limit at all.

Take the limit out and then put it back in if something becomes law. I would be the first to update my firmware to stay within the legal limit.

There are speed limits all over the country too. Car companies should GPS limit your cars speed to exactly what the posted limit is in your area.

They dont do that.

Why?

Because we're a free society. We can disagree, we can break laws and we can make poor decisions. Some laws are stupid and ill conceived and serve to protect no one but you from yourself. People break them every single day. Seatbelts come to mind, marijuana use another. Then there are laws that are in place for GOOD reason (generally accepted as good reason)... murder, grand theft, etc. For the most part, people DO NOT commit these crimes.

Bottom line is, we'll all disagree on what's safe and what isn't. I think flying over 400ft anywhere except near an airport is harmless. Unless you're near an airport, anything flything this low, you'll hear it and can GTF out of the way. You'll hear it WAY in advance. just get out of the sky. Real simple. If, if, if and if again, yeah, I SUPPOSE you COULD hit something, then if, if, if and if again... c'mon guys. Talking on your cellphone while driving or even changing the radio station poses more of risk to people than this does.

But, I digress. My point is, there should NOT be limits, regardless of laws. We're a FREE society FREE to make our own decisions.. good or bad. We as individuals make our own decisions.. good or bad or otherwise.

Now go fly your drone to 1650ft, or to 400ft. Go text and drive, drink and drive, do whatever you want. I may disagree, I may be disgusted or I may say meh, no harm in that. Do whatever you want. know the risks, know the consequences and live and let live.

I don't like drunk drivers. I HATE THEM. Do I want breathalyzers put in every car in America, NFW. STOP trying to control people. you went to 1650 ft. Good for you. It's cool as hell, I know. What an amazing piece of technology.... and that should be the end of that. armchair cops and FAA "agents" leave people alone. If you had any authority, you wouldn't be posting trying to scare people. You disagree, great. I disagree with you too so how about we just stop commenting unless we have something nice to say, huh?

Reactions: walker16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor