I have no idea what happened...

Maybe. I do fly in mode 2. maybe that's why the app crashed. Still don't understand why it wanted to move to the right.

In Mode 1 a left stick forward may have sent it off in another direction rather than up, though it doesn't sound like that now based on the data. The same thing happened to me a week ago though I think I took off in ATTI and lost it. It flew sideways into one of those orange netted construction fences. No damage. I'm going to locate the log on that and compare it to yours.

Any chance a prop was loose?

I think I understand just fine. You took off very gently, the aircraft moved laterally uncommanded, you reversed the throttle, it hit the ground and before it had stopped moving you applied the CSC. Whether it would have flipped due to hitting the ground while moving sideways is somewhat moot, since the CSC virtually guaranteed a flip.

If your question is not about the flip, but simply about why it moved laterally on takeoff - that would probably require the DAT file to determine the answer.
You got it almost right. I only moved it up not even an inch and it moved. As soon as it had freedom to move it moved. When it started to move, I put left stick down to land and was holding it down it down, at the same time it was bouncing up and down (because of it moving right and touching the ground) so it was "half tipping" hitting to ground sideways and it tipped to far at one point and the props caught the ground and went upside down. I don't exactly know when I did CSC but when it started to tip I know I did it then to stop the motors.

I know its possible for the CSC to have made it tip but I'm sure this time it was not. you would have had to seen it to understand exactly.

In Mode 1 a left stick forward may have sent it off in another direction rather than up, though it doesn't sound like that now based on the data. The same thing happened to me a week ago though I think I took off in ATTI and lost it. It flew sideways into one of those orange netted construction fences. No damage. I'm going to locate the log on that and compare it to yours.

Any chance a prop was loose?
No. I checked the props before takeoff.

You got it almost right. I only moved it up not even an inch and it moved. As soon as it had freedom to move it moved. When it started to move, I put left stick down to land and was holding it down it down, at the same time it was bouncing up and down (because of it moving right and touching the ground) so it was "half tipping" hitting to ground sideways and it tipped to far at one point and the props caught the ground and went upside down. I don't exactly know when I did CSC but when it started to tip I know I did it then to stop the motors.

I know its possible for the CSC to have made it tip but I'm sure this time it was not. you would have had to seen it to understand exactly.

OK - well never mind the flip then since it wasn't the question - that was not clear from your original post. I can't see anything obvious in the limited IMU data in the log file to explain the movement. It looks like it moved nearly 10 meters to where it ended up - is that correct? Straight line to the NW. The DAT is going to have the relevant data.

One other point - a gentle takeoff like that where it doesn't leave the ground cleanly is not good practice. Takeoff should be a very positive action to get it into the air quickly. If it was touching the ground repeatedly while moving sideways then continued movement could simply be due to FC corrections caused by the resulting deflections.

Reactions: KCadby
OK - well never mind the flip then since it wasn't the question - that was not clear from your original post. I can't see anything obvious in the limited IMU data in the log file to explain the movement. It looks like it moved nearly 10 meters to where it ended up - is that correct? Straight line to the NW. The DAT is going to have the relevant data.
7 or 8 meters maybe. Where do I get the DAT file and what do I do with it?

One other point - a gentle takeoff like that where it doesn't leave the ground cleanly is not good practice. Takeoff should be a very positive action to get it into the air quickly. If it was touching the ground repeatedly while moving sideways then continued movement could simply be due to FC corrections caused by the resulting deflections.
I did take off fast but also tried to land fast. as soon as I took off it started to move, So I got a foot up or so and immediately landed because of the moving.

I did take off fast but also tried to land fast. as soon as I took off it started to move, So I got a foot up or so and immediately landed because of the moving.

The log indicates only around 1/4 throttle at takeoff - that's not really enough to guarantee a clean lift. You mentioned that it started moving sideways when it was barely off the ground - an inch or so. But when it came back and touched the ground - was it moving by skipping along intermittently touching? That's what it looks like from the pitch/roll data.

DAT file instructions: How to retrieve a .DAT

If you are not familiar with converting and reading those files then I'd suggest posting it here via Dropbox or similar (it will be too large to post directly on the forum).

The log indicates only around 1/4 throttle at takeoff - that's not really enough to guarantee a clean lift. You mentioned that it started moving sideways when it was barely off the ground - an inch or so. But when it came back and touched the ground - was it moving by skipping along intermittently touching? That's what it looks like from the pitch/roll data.

DAT file instructions: How to retrieve a .DAT

If you are not familiar with converting and reading those files then I'd suggest posting it here via Dropbox or similar (it will be too large to post directly on the forum).
OK. But the takeoff speed is not what we need to concentrate on.

I will read the link and see what I can do.

OK. But the takeoff speed is not what we need to concentrate on.
Tyson, with respect it seems to me that you are trying hard to push away someone who is graciously offering you outstanding data based advice. Luckily for you, he has stuck with it and continued to offer you friendly help rather than just moving on after you snapped at him a few times.

That being said, I agree with @sar104 that a swift clean take off would have likely helped you avoid the crash by giving you enough altitude and time to think through the issue as it played out. You may not think it's important to focus on here, but it is certainly helpful for anyone else reading this thread who may want to learn how to avoid what happened to you.

Good luck sir. :)

Tyson, with respect it seems to me that you are trying hard to push away someone who is graciously offering you outstanding data based advice. Luckily for you, he has stuck with it and continued to offer you friendly help rather than just moving on after you snapped at him a few times.

That being said, I agree with @sar104 that a swift clean take off would have likely helped you avoid the crash by giving you enough altitude and time to think through the issue as it played out. You may not think it's important to focus on here, but it is certainly helpful for anyone else reading this thread who may want to learn how to avoid what happened to you.

Good luck sir. :)
I'm sorry to you and @sar104. I'm just very frustrated. Again, I'm very sorry.

Reactions: cneedelman
Yes there is but that is the latest one of the day and the incident was the last one of the day.

Maybe so, but it's not the right file. It's a power up followed by 92 seconds of nothing happening. In the device log this flight started at 10'54", and so it might show up as part of the previous, longer flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez