I have a trick to remove a stuck-on lens...

Reaction score
I know there are a bunch of threads on this topic. I tried everything I read on here and could not get it off. Then I had an idea... I can best explain with some pictures... This is my first first post and I am linking to pics in a Google Drive folder so I hope this works. I tried uploading the pics but they were huge and it was taking forever. I hope this helps someone out there.

1. Take a short little phone cord.
20160104_174309.jpg

2. Wrap it around the lens and pinch it as tight as you can with your fingers (no tools yet).
20160104_174350.jpg

3. Now, slide it off the lens and grab it with channel lock pliers. Be sure the tips of the jaws are right where your fingers were. DO NOT try to pinch it in a way that will make the loop tighter. It won't work if you do that.
20160104_174428.jpg

4. Slide the loop back over the lens. The trick is to make sure you are ONLY on the lens and do NOT have the cord on the camera body. also notice the orientation of the pliers: The upper jaw is to the right and the lower is to the left. This orientation is critical.
20160104_174439.jpg

5. Now... I could not hold my phone to take the picture AND hold the P3 camera. You need to hold the P3 camera with one hand while you rotate the pliers counter-clockwise. The top of the upper jaw will contact the cord on the right side of the camera. As this happens you are tightening the cord AND rotating the lens counterclockwise at the same time. It may take a few tries to get it right. It is the same principal as a strap wrench.
20160104_174447.jpg

Here is a link to the Google Drive folder with them:

DJILens

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Tim. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

You made a do it yourself strap wrench! Good job! ;)

I know there are a bunch of threads on this topic. I tried everything I read on here and could not get it off. Then I had an idea... I can best explain with some pictures... This is my first first post and I am linking to pics in a Google Drive folder so I hope this works. I tried uploading the pics but they were huge and it was taking forever. I hope this helps someone out there.

20160104_174309.jpg

2. Wrap it around the lens and pinch it as tight as you can with your fingers (no tools yet).
20160104_174350.jpg

3. Now, slide it off the lens and grab it with channel lock pliers. Be sure the tips of the jaws are right where your fingers were. DO NOT try to pinch it in a way that will make the loop tighter. It won't work if you do that.
20160104_174428.jpg

4. Slide the loop back over the lens. The trick is to make sure you are ONLY on the lens and do NOT have the cord on the camera body. also notice the orientation of the pliers: The upper jaw is to the right and the lower is to the left. This orientation is critical.
20160104_174439.jpg

5. Now... I could not hold my phone to take the picture AND hold the P3 camera. You need to hold the P3 camera with one hand while you rotate the pliers counter-clockwise. The top of the upper jaw will contact the cord on the right side of the camera. As this happens you are tightening the cord AND rotating the lens counterclockwise at the same time. It may take a few tries to get it right. It is the same principal as a strap wrench.
20160104_174447.jpg

DJILens
I put on some rubber washing up gloves and that provided enough grip for me to remove the lens.

LOL so much easier to just gently twist it off with your fingers.
His solution is for stuck lenses, not finger tight lenses. ;)

Reactions: Dirty Bird
People have innovative ideas. Love them.

His solution is for stuck lenses, not finger tight lenses. ;)

The lenses aren't 'stuck', but because people think they are they try to brute force them off.. and that doesn't work. The threads are very tiny and just requires you to turn it gently with very little pressure and untwist them as straight as possible.

For those who have an "A" model Phantom the "A" motor's strap "wrench" works great for removing your camera lens glass.

20160104_174309.jpg

20160104_174350.jpg

20160104_174428.jpg

20160104_174439.jpg

20160104_174447.jpg

DJILens

Reactions: Lefty63
fotogeek - Mine was more than finger tight, for sure. It actually acted like the o-ring was pinched. Even after the first 1/8 turn it could not be loosened by fingers. The "pliers" approach was bad because it did not create even pressure around the circumference. My post was for others who did not get the non-stuck, just finger-tight/low-torqued installation version that you received.

My lens would not budge. I completed a flight in 20F temps, when I came in and after a short warm up, I was able to remove the lens.

Thin ble Rubber glove works great for me. I keep one in my bag.

Just twist it lightly. If you squeeze hard you'll never get it off.

Have always used a rubber band if needed. Not needed now, after the first few times.

If it don't work, force it. My motto. Mine did come off with brute force of fingers, now what is used on the threads to keep it from sticking again?

Have always used a rubber band if needed. Not needed now, after the first few times.
Same here, wide rubber band worked for me the first time I removed mine. The rubber glove is a good solution too. The OP's solution is very innovative though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost