How To unlock the map arrow icon?

Reaction score
Hi guys. Only had my P4P-V2 for three weeks now. Mostly it’s been working fine and I’m pretty happy with it. Last few flights though the red arrow icon on the map has been locked in the wrong orientation.

If you look at the attached photo you’ll see that the N for North. is turned sideways to the left, normally that would be west on a map. And it is actually correct- north is in that direction. And my bird ,
IMG_1528486247.385706.jpg
before I turned it off actually is facing west. So the actual direction of the arrow and the north symbol is correct but it’s sideways.

I’ve always thought that all you had to do was tap on that I can’t to unlock it and it would re-oriented self with north at the top. But that does not seem to be the case here. I can’t figure out how to get it to point the right direction. Is there somewhere in the settings I can go to unlock it?

Tap the red and blue 'compass needle' in the top right-hand corner. That changes the orientation to North up.

Hmm. I did that. And the Map itself rotated - but the compass in the lower left corner did not. the "N" at the top of that compass still is tilted to the left. Which as I was sitting doing my test that really was pointed 180º wrong- facing South

It's distracting when flying as I expect that Red Arrow to face whatever way the drone it facing - in relation to ME and the controller.
But it is facing correctly for it's actual direction, no matter how I point the RC.
So I guess it's not really WRONG - just not doing what I expect it to do, which is tell me at a glance how the bird is facing relative to my position. It just feels wrong.....

Raining now, so I'll have to test again later with the map rotated. It just seemed ti be locked to the left no matter which way I was facing.
Now the arrow icon in the middle of the map showing the flight path is oriented correctly in real time.

Is DJI Go4 different than Go (3) in how the icons display?

Last edited:
What happens when you rotate your mobile device? Maybe your mobile device’s compass needs calibration.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
On the iPad you mean?
it's a brand new 2018 - 9.7" GPS iPad.
How would I even do that- Calibrate my device
No cell service of course, but I use my phone's mobile hotspot to get the maps.
Like I always did for my P3P.

Question is for all of you - does your Red arrow icon in that compass move to match the direction of your P4P relative to your controller - or does it do the same as mine? Locked with North facing to the left?
Again - the actual direction is correct based on the street map I showed - North is in that direction, and my drone is facing West.

I'm just used to the compass on the map with North on top. And the arrow reflecting the orientation of the drone relative to the controller.

Last edited:
On the iPad you mean?
it's a brand new 2018 - 9.7" GPS iPad.
No cell service of course, but I use my phone's mobile hotspot to get the maps.
Like I always did for my P3P.

Question is for all of you - does your Red arrow icon in that compass move to match the direction of your P4P relative to your controller - or does it do the same as mine? Locked with North facing to the left?
Again - the actual direction is correct based on the street map I showed - North is in that direction, and my drone is facing West.

I'm just used to the compass on the map with North on top.

My North indicator points to the real North and will rotate around as I turn the mobile device around. The only time it is at the top is when my tablet and I are facing North.

Well, later I will test it again - tapping the compass to unlock the map.
possible it's always been this way since I rarely have the whole page displayed as Map, rather than the live view while flying.....

Another thing that threw me - I was sitting at a table, facing West - as was the bird on the ground.
And North is to my right. The map and compass were facing LEFT , even though the actual direction of the map and compass is correct - it was pointed South.....
Oy, my head hurts.

If you look at the attached photo you’ll see that the N for North. is turned sideways to the left, normally that would be west on a map. And it is actually correct- north is in that direction. And my bird ,View attachment 99877before I turned it off actually is facing west. So the actual direction of the arrow and the north symbol is correct but it’s sideways.
I can’t figure out how to get it to point the right direction. Is there somewhere in the settings I can go to unlock it?
It sounds like your radar display is working properly and you just need to understand how it works.
It's not a compass. It's a simulated radar display to show you where your drone is.
Forget tapping a compass needle icon to toggle between north up and track up - that only works with the map display.
Stop focusing on the north point and think about the little white triangle at the top of the circle.
You are at the centre and the white line to the tiny triangle at the top is the direction you are facing.
Take your Phantom for a fly and go out a couple of hundred feet straight in front of you.
The plane icon should be on the white line.
Now turn (yourself) to face 45° to the right and the drone should now show to the left of the line because it is now out to your left.
Try turning to face north and see what happens to the north point.
Try rotating the drone by pushing the left stick to the left or right and note what that does to the red paper plane icon.
Think about how useful that could be to bring the Phantom back towards you or to turn it the way you want if you lose orientation.
Or to show where to point your antennas to keep the signal strong.

The radar display is a very useful indicator to show you where your Phantom is and which way it's pointing.
I find it much more useful than the map display for flying.
i-5cfZZ9H-M.png

Reactions: EddieV and Basspig
Here's a good video on how the attitude indicator works:

It sounds like your radar display is working properly and you just need to understand how it works.
It's not a compass. It's a simulated radar display to show you where your drone is.
Forget tapping a compass needle icon to toggle between north up and track up - that only works with the map display.
Stop focusing on the north point and think about the little white triangle at the top of the circle.
You are at the centre and the white line to the tiny triangle at the top is the direction you are facing.
Take your Phantom for a fly and go out a couple of hundred feet straight in front of you.
The plane icon should be on the white line.
Now turn (yourself) to face 45° to the right and the drone should now show to the left of the line because it is now out to your left.
Try turning to face north and see what happens to the north point.
Try rotating the drone by pushing the left stick to the left or right and note what that does to the red paper plane icon.
Think about how useful that could be to bring the Phantom back towards you or to turn it the way you want if you lose orientation.
Or to show where to point your antennas to keep the signal strong.

The radar display is a very useful indicator to show you where your Phantom is and which way it's pointing.
I find it much more useful than the map display for flying.
i-5cfZZ9H-M.png
Thanks Meta4.
I'll test it out if it ever stops raining.
I think what threw me off is actually putting the map up full screen. I of course don't fly that way, just was trying to see if things were orientated correctly without the distraction of the camera view.

Although I still don't get why the map - in my photo- is rotated LEFT - with North on my left while I and the Drone are facing West. Even though the arrow is pointing the correct way on this map, it's still 180º the opposite direction on my screen.
Logically that doesn't make sense.
Your screen shot above - looks to me that you are facing more or less East, with North to your left and the Drone is flying E/SE- and that makes sense. I was facing West and the N - and compass symbol still was to the left.

But I'll get used to it if that's the way its supposed to be. And when flying of course i'm not starting at the Map view.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl