How to transport in plane?

Reaction score
Any recommendations on how to transport the Quad in a commercial Flight? Guess baterries must go on the check baggage and the drone in a carry on?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Batteries must go into your carry-on bag. The drone can be checked in or carried in your carry-on bag.

Batteries must go into your carry-on bag. The drone can be checked in or carried in your carry-on bag.

Do batteries have to be drained or full power? Do the customs expect to turn on the battery before boarding?

U.K. London Side pushing the Phantom 4. Peace

Do batteries have to be drained or full power?
It doesn't matter. The FAA has no such requirements. They only require that the battery terminals be covered. See more details about that here.

Reactions: hotashes
Different airlines have different restrictions, so check what your airlines is asking for.

In general follow these guidelines:

1. Batteries are the most sought items. Drain them to 60%. Wrap individual battery in a lipo safe bag. Buy from amazon. Cover the terminals with a paper and then tape them so that no sticky substance touches the terminals.

2. Keep them inside your carry on bag along with the drone.

3. Check if there is a limitation on number of batteries per person can carry.

4. Keep a printed airlines checklist with you.

Happy flying.

Batteries are the most sought items. Drain them to 60%.
Can you cite your source for this one? I've seen it mentioned here before, but the FAA seems to have no such requirement.

FAA requirements could be different but while flying you got to follow airlines guidelines too.

I have read some airlines do not allow fully charged batteries. I will have to dig it out.

The mandated charge level, at least to the extent I have seen it mentioned, was in proposed international guidelines for bulk air freight. For practical purposes 60% seems reasonable, not too long a charge time at your destination and it is well demonstrated that LiPO chemistry is least stable at 100% SOC.

You can't argue with the airlines officials at the airport, thus it's better to play safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20