How to take the Initial aeronautical knowledge test?

Hey guys!

Do you think people need help studying for the FAA initial aeronautics knowledge exam to fly their commercial drone legally? I was trying to find study helps on the exam and can't find much (especially for online exam prep with video, etc) but my good friend is a Senior Captain at American Airlines and has trained hundreds of pilots as well so we thought about posting a video series to help people get prepped for the exam (some of the info is known, some is unknown at this point). What do you think? BTW... I'm waiting on my SnapDrone to ship in Sept and can't wait!

Chris

Chris, Yes the more training info the better! Especially if it can stick to the basics of what will be needed for the Remote Pilot Knowledge Exam.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Hey guys!

Do you think people need help studying for the FAA initial aeronautics knowledge exam to fly their commercial drone legally? I was trying to find study helps on the exam and can't find much (especially for online exam prep with video, etc) but my good friend is a Senior Captain at American Airlines and has trained hundreds of pilots as well so we thought about posting a video series to help people get prepped for the exam (some of the info is known, some is unknown at this point). What do you think? BTW... I'm waiting on my SnapDrone to ship in Sept and can't wait!

Chris

I think it's a great idea.
A couple other pilot friends who fly drones and myself are writing study guides to share with a study group.

Knowledge Test Description The knowledge test is an important part of the airman certification process. Applicants who do not meet the requirements in 14 CFR part 107.61 (d)(1), must pass the knowledge test before preparing an application for a Remote Pilot Certificate with a Small UAS Rating.
The knowledge test consists of objective, multiple-choice questions.
There is a single correct response for each test question. Each test question is independent of other questions. A correct response to one question does not depend upon, or influence, the correct response to another. UAS Topics Percentage of Items on Test I. Regulations 15 – 25% II. Airspace & Requirements 8 – 15% III. Weather 11 – 16% IV. Loading and Performance 7 – 11% V. Operations 13 – 18% Total Number of Questions 60 E

Glad I have my pilots license.
Me too, but mostly because I love flying airplanes, especially love flying seaplanes.

Flying Airplanes is fun, Flying Boats is wayyyy more fun.
:)

I think it's a great idea.
A couple other pilot friends who fly drones and myself are writing study guides to share with a study group.
Sounds great. I'll put together a site soon for people to sign up who want to do the course. BTW... if we went through the time to get an online course in place, what do you think people would be willing to pay for it?

Chris, Yes the more training info the better! Especially if it can stick to the basics of what will be needed for the Remote Pilot Knowledge Exam.
Sounds great. I'll put together a site soon for people to sign up who want to do the course. BTW... if we went through the time to get an online course in place, what do you think people would be willing to pay for it?

The FAA prepares study guides for which can be obtained for free.

This one for example is for Rec. & Private Pilot tests:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_guides/media/faa-g-8082-17i.pdf

Those who are just dying to get going on the UAS testing can look over this to get an idea of what to expect.

It would seem likely that one similar will be available for UAS/107 and that some portions of the linked doc. could be a direct transfer to the UAS test as per the recent published info on 107 requirements.

AutomatelQ, I don't think folks are willing to pay much at this point, until it's proven your course material helped them pass the knowledge exam. In which case, after your course takers pass the first wave of exams, you can ask a decent amount as you can prove the value. For now, I'd either keep it free for the first batch of test takers who sign-up with you (ask for "likes" and "follows" etc., as sweatpantsDroner is doing), or charge a very minimal amount (i.e.; not more than a few cups of a popular brands coffee). In the end, your initial efforts will pay off. Just my two cents.

Reactions: N017RW
AutomatelQ, I don't think folks are willing to pay much at this point, until it's proven your course material helped them pass the knowledge exam. In which case, after your course takers pass the first wave of exams, you can ask a decent amount as you can prove the value. For now, I'd either keep it free for the first batch of test takers who sign-up with you (ask for "likes" and "follows" etc., as sweatpantsDroner is doing), or charge a very minimal amount (i.e.; not more than a few cups of a popular brands coffee). In the end, your initial efforts will pay off. Just my two cents.
Agreed. No one has even seen the test yet. I for one don't need to spend time studying things that may have no bearing on the test.

Not implying that you don't have one, but I believe a ground instructor certificate is currently required to train potential pilots. Not sure if this will apply to drone pilots.

I haven't read all the posts, but there are tons of misinformation in this thread. Maybe I can help:

The test for non-licensed pilots will be available at CATS and PRI test centers around the country starting 8/29. CATS and PMI are taking restervations now. The cost for the test is $150 most places and AOPA membership usually gets a $10 discount. There is a registration after passing the RPC exam to complete the process. IACRA.FAA.gov. (Not open until 8/29/16)

FAA.gov/UAS includes an extensive FAQ to answer most questions, including what to do if your 333 is still pending (7,000+ last I checked). Many will be tossed out if 107 would be a better fit. The famous 333 may eventually be phased out.

If you have a 333 but no pilot license, §107 is your best option, and let your 333 expire. If you have a 333 and a pilot license, you can continue under the exemption to expiration, or take the online course and test to add RPC rating to your ticket, and operate under whichever authorization fits your needs. For non-pilots, the test is good practice but the "diploma" is only a souvenir. (Yes, I did.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon900
To the question about instructors, there are no certified instructors specifically for drones but a CFI can teach the material, and many flight schools are or will.
There is no requirement to be "signed off" by a CFI or DPE to take the RPC test like the other pilot exams.
Many of the RPC study items are part of normal ground school.

Page 590 of the final 107 (§107.71) lists the 12 areas to be covered on the test. There will be some chart questions from the AKT Chart Supplement, so you'll need to know your lat from your lon.

Last edited:
Where are 107 study materials?
Beyond the FAA textbooks, they generally leave training programs to industry partners to produce. The Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical knowledge is a good place to start, but be advised that probably only about 20% of the book will relate to the Part 107 test questions. The FAA just released a new version of the PHAK. If you have an old copy, it's probably perfectly fine. But if you're going to download this book, you might as well get the latest version.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4