How to plan where to fly when travelling somewhere new

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new Phantom 4 owner. I'm learning to fly and having fun with it.
I'm going to start flying in other places near home, and when I travel.

How does everyone decide where to go, and what to fly over/around?
For instance, let's say I'm travelling to Columbus, Ohio, and I'd like to fly and record something interesting.
I know the first step would be to look for airports or restricted flight zones. Assuming (I know this isn't the case, but stick with me) you are allowed to fly everywhere, would you look at Google Earth/Maps to try to find interesting points of interest? Would you ask people you know in the area, or online? How would you get a good idea of where you want to drive your car to and start exploring?

Thanks!

Most places like Columbus have tourist bureaus . Contact them (most have online sites) and get any information on places of interest, historic sites, tourists sites, etc. then pick some targets and coordinate them with any flight restrictions. Might even contact the local LOE to ask about any local ordinances.

would you look at Google Earth/Maps to try to find interesting points of interest? Would you ask people you know in the area, or online?
How would you get a good idea of where you want to drive your car to and start exploring?
Google Earth is a very useful resource for planning.
I use it to discover new places, plan access and shooting angles.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic