How to obtain a commercial license?

What is the process of obtaining a commercial license? So that i can sell the images and videos?

In the USA it is FAA Part 107 Certification.

Google it, tons of info.

Others may wish to add to this but this was my path.

Firstly, register your aircraft on the FAA's site. Register it as a commercial aircraft. Cost is $5 to do so.

After you have that step, it's time to study for your part 107 or pilot certificate. It isn't a license per say. The certificate is acquired by taking an exam. More details can be found on the FAA's site. Cost is $150.

For study, there are various resources here on the forum that you can find by searching part 107.

I also recommend if you plan to do commercial work around buildings, people, etc. to have liability insurance. A quick google or forum search will lead you to various sources to acquiring such insurance.

All this to take a photo, sell it, and make money.

Last edited:
Others may wish to add to this but this was my path.

Firstly, register your aircraft on the FAA's site. Register it as a commercial aircraft. Cost is $5 to do so.

After you have that step, it's time to study for your part 107 or pilot certificate. It isn't a license per say. The certificate is acquired by taking an exam. More details can be found on the FAA's site. Cost is $150.

For study, there are various resources here on the forum that you can find by searching part 107.

I also recommend if you plan to do commercial work around buildings, people, etc. to have liability insurance. A quick google or forum search will lead you to various sources to acquiring such insurance.

All this to take a photo, sell it, and make money.
I understand that you must take a initial test at a FAA testing center before the 107 exam. Can you tell me a little more about this?

no, the only test required is the 107 exam which is taken at an FAA test center.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you have to take and pass the FAR 107 exam and then you have to do the license portion to obtain a license to fly a uav commercially. The license to fly is done at the FAA Testing center. The 107 can be done for free in the FAA's site.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you have to take and pass the FAR 107 exam and then you have to do the license portion to obtain a license to fly a uav commercially. The license to fly is done at the FAA Testing center. The 107 can be done for free in the FAA's site.

The 'real' exam is taken at an FAA approved test site.

You may be referring to a 'practice test' or similar offered by prep houses or on-line courses.

After passing you basically get a temp. certificate while applying for your license and pending b-ground checks, etc. you'll be issued your 107 license.

Last edited:
The 'real' exam is taken at an FAA approved test site.

You may be referring to a 'practice test' or similar offered by prep houses or on-line courses.

After passing you basically get a temp. certificate while applying for your license and pending b-ground checks, etc. you'll be issued your 107 license.

I took my 107 test online with the FAA direct for no fee. I was issued a Cert for that. I still need to take the exam at a site for a Pilots license. Here's the image of my Cert done online with FAA.
84154a587468d079d4592c3d49c43bb6.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming you are not already a licensed Pilot, until you take the test, in person, at an FAA approved test site/center you have not really done anything but prepare for the test.

Assuming you are not already a licensed Pilot, until you take the test, in person, at an FAA approved test site/center you have not really done anything but prepare for the test.

Then I'm confused! I was issues my Part 107 Certificate by the FAA utilizing their online system. Yes, I am a licensed Airplane Pilot as well so I know how to navigate the FAA sites. You say I haven't done anything until I test at a center but how do you explain the image I posted as my Certificate for completing the 107? Is there something else I am missing here? One does not need to pay a 3rd party site to take this exam. It's offered online by the FAA.
I am not bickering with you or anyone else but the proof is in the pudding here.

Then I'm confused! I was issues my Part 107 Certificate by the FAA utilizing their online system. Yes, I am a licensed Airplane Pilot as well so I know how to navigate the FAA sites. You say I haven't done anything until I test at a center but how do you explain the image I posted as my Certificate for completing the 107? Is there something else I am missing here? One does not need to pay a 3rd party site to take this exam. It's offered online by the FAA.
I am not bickering with you or anyone else but the proof is in the pudding here.

The process is different for a regular pilot than a civilian.

Should have mentioned that you have your private pilot up front. As a licensed pilot win a current medical, you take the results of the test you took, fill out the paperwork and then have a FAA official (e.g. A cfi) review your paperwork, confirm your id and sign off on it. You then send hat package to the FAA to have yours Part 107 remote pilot certificate issued. Laid out here Becoming a Pilot.

Should have mentioned that you have your private pilot up front. As a licensed pilot win a current medical, you take the results of the test you took, fill out the paperwork and then have a FAA official (e.g. A cfi) review your paperwork, confirm your id and sign off on it. You then send hat package to the FAA to have yours Part 107 remote pilot certificate issued. Laid out here Becoming a Pilot.

Sorry Richard,

I wasn't trying to hide anything. I didn't mention being a licensed Pilot because I didn't think it mattered here, regarding the subject at hand. I truly haven't put too much on having a Part 61 License to Fly towards getting a UAV license. They fall under different FAR's and have several differences that don't meld with one another. Again, there was never an intent here to battle with anyone here at all so I'm hopeful that no one came away feeling that way. If so, I apologize deeply.

Barry,
Not a slam, nothing mean intended. Follow the steps outlined on the webpage and you should be good to go. Good luck.

I took my 107 test online with the FAA direct for no fee. I was issued a Cert for that. I still need to take the exam at a site for a Pilots license. Here's the image of my Cert done online with FAA.
84154a587468d079d4592c3d49c43bb6.jpg

This is important, you did not get a pilot certificate. You received a certificate for taking the class. You have to either pass the 107 exam, complete the IACRA and receive at least a temporary FAA certificate or take the course you did and then apply. The former is for if you do not have a traditional pilot certificate and the latter is if you do. This piece of paper does not allow you to sell your services. You can be fined for selling with this and cannot be insured with it if they follow up on your certificate. More here -

Reactions: NL5L
I'm taking the online course offered by www.remotepilot101.com and it explains everything. It's full of useful information, and covers everything that's on the test. Yes, it costs $100 but it's so much better than trying to sort through all the YouTube videos, and trying to figure out if the information in those videos is actually correct. Also, apparently, the test needs to be taken every two years. This course is constantly updated so you can rewatch it when needed and obtain the updated info. Highly recommend it!

Reactions: EyeSkyDrone
I took the part 107 test in Nov. at a local Airman Knowledge Testing Center near where I live (I got a 95.. YAY). I now have a Temporary Certificate and waiting for my permanent Airman Certificate Number (that can take 2-4 months, FAA is backlogged).

Initially I was going to selfstudy at the FAA website, but after researching I decided to take an online course at RemotePilote101 for $99 (there are many online courses). I figured it was money well spent because the part 107 Knowledge Test costs $150 and you have to re-test every 2 years.

The Knowledge Test was VERY difficult. Sixty multiple choice questions (some are trick questions - the FAA likes trick questions). You are questioned on:
- Types of Airspace
- VFR charts
- METARs
- NOTAMs
- Weather
- Waivers
- Airport operations
- and a lot more
You need to know your stuff to pass the test, but it is well worth if even if you don't intend to fly commercial. A lot of good knowledge.

There are no trick questions.

They anticipate common mistakes and provide those results as solution choices.

You can't be tricked if you know the material.

Reactions: Bckmstr and N42742

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl