how to fly straight w low/no GPS signal

Practice, practice, and then some more practice.

The more wind the tougher it gets but it's easier the more you do it.

Reactions: Tricky
Thx all. Wind galore, lightning and thunder for fun. Here is what I learned: Course Lock, with NO GPS is useless. Litchi Waypoints also with no GPS is useless. The horizontal float when you have sub-optimal GPS satellite (~less than 6) is just too great aka will not hold the course.

Flying atti was the only option left to me. Got the job done. Always learning :)

Course Lock, with NO GPS is useless. Litchi Waypoints also with no GPS is useless. The horizontal float when you have sub-optimal GPS satellite (~less than 6) is just too great aka will not hold the course.
Flying atti was the only option left to me.
Atti isn't really an option, it's just what you have when GPS is not available.
You don't say which model you are flying but if you had a later model with VPS sensors and the ground was well lit and had a distinct texture or pattern, the VPS would provide horizontal position holding.
The catch is that it only works up to 10 metres.
Why are you flying without GPS? Are you under cover or somewhere terrain blocks the skyview?

Thx @Meta4 - indeed I had a lengthy post here yesterday, I deleted most of it as time was of the essence and I needed answers...so I thought I would delete the post and not needlessly hog up the forum.

I ride a P3P. Apartment buildings in lower manhattan hog up the skyline. I got intermittent gps - but not enough to rely on for flying straight.

times up ...:(

Picture in your mind crossing a river in a boat. May only take tiny touches to the sticks (depends on the velocity of the wind).

Thx @Meta4 - indeed I had a lengthy post here yesterday, I deleted most of it as time was of the essence and I needed answers...so I thought I would delete the post and not needlessly hog up the forum.

I ride a P3P. Apartment buildings in lower manhattan hog up the skyline. I got intermittent gps - but not enough to rely on for flying straight.

Curious ... Perhaps I'm assuming that you were flying in lower manhattan? Where was your launch point?

Having lived in mid-town for over 2 decades, I'm sure you had the appropriate FAA authorizations to fly in there. Wait ... are there authorizations for flying in NYC? Last I heard, there are no legal UAS flights in that borough. Perhaps I'm wrong. If only NYPD was in charge of national air space ... thanks for broadcasting, er .. um sharing. :)

Having lived in mid-town for over 2 decades, I'm sure you had the appropriate FAA authorizations to fly in there. Wait ... are there authorizations for flying in NYC? Last I heard, there are no legal UAS flights in that borough. Perhaps I'm wrong. If only NYPD was in charge of national air space ... thanks for broadcasting, er .. um sharing. :)
Hopefully you have some tips to add on flying straight in ATTI mode? You have covered the calling out part nicely.....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj