How to fly in a remote area

Reaction score
Over the Labor Day weekend went camping with friends and brought my phantom four and my Mavic pro platinum to fly we were in a pretty remote area but I couldn’t get connection, can anybody explain to me how do you go about getting connection and flying in a very remote area where there’s no Wi-Fi and data did not work on my iPhone Thanks

My P4 works great in areas with no Wifi. The wifi is between your remote and the craft. Infact they work better because there is no other interference.

Reactions: Oso
Over the Labor Day weekend went camping with friends and brought my phantom four and my Mavic pro platinum to fly we were in a pretty remote area but I couldn’t get connection, can anybody explain to me how do you go about getting connection and flying in a very remote area where there’s no Wi-Fi and data did not work on my iPhone
Did you try to fly?
Having no internet connection shouldn't stop you from flying.

When you are in areas with no cellular connection, you won't have map info, but you can still fly. However the little radar screen still works, triangulates on the craft to determine which direction your craft is flying, as well as the orientation from the launch point to help you know how to point your directional antenna, if you have one.

Tip: Sometimes people experience display interference in rural areas with no cellular connect because the iPad Wi-Fi is on, endlessly searching for an access point that's not present. This searching for all Wi-Fi channels can interfere with RC video reception when using 2.4Ghz for craft video communications. If your craft supports 5.8Ghz, this anomaly does not occur using 5.8Ghz video com for some reason. So if you experience interference in rural areas, turn off the iPad Wi-Fi when flying in rural areas, it may help.

If you use your iPad Wi-Fi to connect to your cell phone's access point for internet, that works fine if you are within cellular coverage, because it has a connection and the iPad Wi-Fi isn't hunting for an access point. If you're outside of cellular coverage, turn off the iPad Wi-Fi and fly without maps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
How is that possible???
It just is.
Try it.
The smart-device's only use is for videofeed, online maps, settings and calibration.
You fly the drone with the controller, not the smart-device.

Last edited:
I fly in quite remote areas 99% of the time - no problems. In fact, with the nearest cell phone towers or wifi devices many miles away, I easily get 6,000 ft. range. The only wifi you need is that when you connect the remote to the Phantom aircraft and your display device to the remote for the Go app, but that is all local. You can also download GoogleEarth of the area which you plan to fly and it will be saved (cached) in your display device where no cell phone service is available. Info online how to do that. And yes, you can fly your drone with only the remote, you just won't get any FPV video on the display unit. So good luck and enjoy the remote country.

Selfie with Phantom 3pro. No smart-device, just the controller:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It just is.
Try it.
The smart-device's only use is for videofeed, online maps, settings and calibration.
You fly the drone with the controller, not the smart-device.
I understand how it all works. But HOW do you do it? Like how do you get it to take off? How do you get it to record video or take a picture? I would love to take my "smart device" out of the control scheme.

Thanks

You start the motors by pushing both sticks In & Down (or Out & Down) at the same time (this is called the Combination-Stick-Command or CSC-command), after that just use the left stick to take off.
Take a photo by pressing the Photo-button (on the controller)
Start/Stop video by pressing the Video-record-button (on the controller)
If you want it to come back by itself press and hold the RTH-button (on the controller) until it starts beeping.
If you don't know this I strongly suggest you read the manual !

Last edited:
Over the Labor Day weekend went camping with friends and brought my phantom four and my Mavic pro platinum to fly we were in a pretty remote area but I couldn’t get connection, can anybody explain to me how do you go about getting connection and flying in a very remote area where there’s no Wi-Fi and data did not work on my iPhone Thanks

MF, could you explain exactly what kept you from flying? Like, you set it all up and got DJI GO4 running on your device and ... you got a message that kept you from flying? If so, what was that message.

I have been in remote areas in the past and found that I had to sign in to a DJI server. It was a first time thing that I learned to make sure was done from home (you don't get asked again for a long while because... mumble <reasons> mumble). HOWEVER, I was able to fly that day because a) my phone worked (even without cell service, it didn't require me to sign in, for whatever reason) and b) I also have LITCHI installed, which worked just fine.

HOWEVER, this has never happened on my Mavic2P. I don't know if DJI has stopped that required sign-in nonsense or it was just a thing with the Phantoms.

Or just that I'm being careful to not take a road trip without first making sure DJI GO4 fires up without asking for credentials.

Or you may have had some other message, but for full support, we need to know exactly what reasons you had that made you think you couldn't fly (like a message on the screen, and exactly what that message was).

There are other things that have stumped me in the field: DJI Go popping up a message box telling me about being in restricted areas and to fly with caution (not saying I couldn't fly), but I could find NO WAY to dismiss this dialog. Turns out, in the sun, I could not see the check-box that was a DARK BLUE check-box on a BLACK dialog message box. BAD UI.

Chris

I use an iPad with my P4A. I also use the google maps app which allows me to download the map of the area I intend to fly in before I'm out of the network coverage.

I also use the google maps app which allows me to download the map of the area I intend to fly in before I'm out of the network coverage.

We still don't really know what the OP means by "couldn’t get connection" and that poster has disappeared, not answering any questions asked. You don't need any kind of connection, and you don't need maps even.

Selfie with Phantom 3pro. No smart-device, just the controller:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Nice video. Quick question: How did you manage to make it look like your head was on the grass to your left?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31