how to fly circles smoothly?

Reaction score
im flying practice FPV in an olive orchard. flying around trees there.

im practicing circles. how do you do this and make it look professional and not "jittery"?

what im doing for a (example) CC-wise circle around an object (lonely olive tree):
- fly to the tree within 3 meters, facing it.
- fly to the right a little bit then rotate to the left. rinse/repeat

but its very "jittery" in the video.

i also tried, in an open field, holding both sticks in fixed circle positions, in certain quadrants. just holding them there. but it wasnt a circle because the downwind leg turned it into an oval.

1) any ideas?
2) is such "oval footage circles" correctable in software?
3) whats best way to fly circles?

thanks to all

To do it mean to get experiance aka a feeling with the stick. You just bearly have to pull them away from each other, left slichtly to the left and right slichtly to the right. Or the other way around to make a cercle the other way. To avoid the oval mean you have to compensate it by giving more or less left stick. Learn how the bird reacts to wind. Maybe some lessons in atti mode will do you good. But mind to do it in a open clear space and not much wind and react on S1 into gps when your mind goes tilt. :)

hey thanks for that!

i was holding my sticks in the wrong ways. i will practice like you say.

flying circles for good video is important.

question: can jittery/jerky video be corrected in apps like adobe premier?
question 2: what about jerky video rotations around objects with the left stick?

about question 2: when i try to turn circles around a tree in a mild breeze, its really hard!

If you have experiance then the video isn't jerky. Try to make a smooth video so no correction is needed. I've filmed last week the ruins of a castle here in spain. I can't upload the video from this tablet, so Its for next week when i am home.

My best advice is to stand in the middle of a grassy area and fly the phantom around you with you in the center of the video...make sure to practice doing it both ways left and right...and without gps once you get the hang for doing it with gps...gps makes jerky videos regardless of what you are trying to do in mho. Good luck.

I haven't experimented in NAZA-M mode yet.

But, and admitting this limits your RTH abilities, couldn't you set the home point over whatever object you want to circle, then flick IOC to Home-Lock, use the forward and back control to set your desired circling radius and then use the roll-left, roll-right control to perform a circle of the home-point?

Would seem to be a good way to do it, or have I missed something?

benkay said:

But, and admitting this limits your RTH abilitiuldn't you set the home point over whatever object you want to circle, then flick IOC to Home-Lock, use the forward and back control to set your desired circling radius and then use the roll-left, roll-right control to perform a circle of the home-point?

And what about the 10m radius when it goes from HL to CL ?
Its to complicated for a noob.
Its not always possible to set the homepoint in the midst of the picture.
And if you try to roll from left to right thats really going to produce a jerky video.
And anyway, whats a advice to a noob when you are making a wild guess ?
I guess you want to see his postings of a flyaway or crash ?

What I have been doing is completing a 180 degree slow circle and then another 180 degree slow circle and then I interlace the video together with Final Cut X and it looks awesome. It just takes a lot of practice and its very hard to complete a 360 fly around large objects unless you are above them. By doing the 180 twice (from both sides) you never loose LOS with the phantom.

just saying :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRF8lCtmb3Q[/youtube]

I like the point of interest and the new follow flight modes, just wish you could get them both in the same quad.

ToThePoint said:
benkay said:

But, and admitting this limits your RTH abilitiuldn't you set the home point over whatever object you want to circle, then flick IOC to Home-Lock, use the forward and back control to set your desired circling radius and then use the roll-left, roll-right control to perform a circle of the home-point?

And if you try to roll from left to right thats really going to produce a jerky video.

The suggestion is actually a good one provided you want a circle radius greater than 10 m, which is not that large. Not sure what your problem is with the roll, as that is precisely the maneuver required to fly a POI circle anyway. HL simply automates coordinating the yaw with the roll.

sar104 said:
ToThePoint said:
benkay said:

The suggestion is actually a good one provided you want a circle radius greater than 10 m, which is not that large. Not sure what your problem is with the roll, as that is precisely the maneuver required to fly a POI circle anyway. HL simply automates coordinating the yaw with the roll.

Thank you! I thought it was, and as you can see I was open to confirmation and indeed feedback on the suggesion as I wasn't sure on the exact dynamics of it myself.

I couldn't frankly believe the reaction from the 1st guy. I'm not going to even raise to that bait with a direct response.

benkay said:
Thank you! I thought it was, and as you can see I was open to confirmation and indeed feedback on the suggesion as I wasn't sure on the exact dynamics of it myself.

I couldn't frankly believe the reaction from the 1st guy. I'm not going to even raise to that bait with a direct response.

I'd raise to the bait for you if I had any idea of what he was talking about. Ah well...

To your topic, I've never seen it done, I've heard a lot about it, but I've never seen a Phantom video with a perfect 360. I think many of us would be interested in how things work out, please keep us posted.

benkay said:

But, and admitting this limits your RTH abilities, couldn't you set the home point over whatever object you want to circle, then flick IOC to Home-Lock, use the forward and back control to set your desired circling radius and then use the roll-left, roll-right control to perform a circle of the home-point?

I believe this works well making the phantom go in a circle; however, unless you still perform yaw control at the same time, the phantom nose is locked in one compass direction... someone correct if i'm wrong on this...

You are correct, you still have to use yaw regardless. And IMHO its just easier once you learn to do it without assistance and gives a smoother video. But, maybe it will work...Im interested in someone trying it and posting a video...Id do it but my bird is in the shop...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl