How to deal with bird attacks?

Reaction score
I'm a new user of A Phantom 3, having only flown up to 29 times. Yesterday was flying in Scotland and when about 1.2km away could see a swarm of seagulls in the distance in general direction of the drone. I panicked and did a RTH and drown flew home with seagulls chasing. When lowering down to ground a couple of gulls tried to attack drone, luckily none of them actually making contact with it. For about an hour afterwards about 29-39 gulls circling overhead sounding very angry. Any advice? What to do in such scenario?

You did the right thing. I encounter sparrows a lot which are grumpy little acrobats that taunt my Phantom. Other than running away, you can simply avoid them outright by checking the area first.

Beyond that, there's little you can do. They're faster, more agile and aren't remote controlled through a small 2D screen on the ground!

Good news is birds seldom make contact. Bad news is that's not always the case.

Reactions: Trumple
Before a month a big bird started chasing my phantom and i reacted fast and got away from it and land.Fly fast and get away.I can t thing something else for the birds that YES want to attack our drones.Furthermore if I see birds in the sky I dont take off at all because some of them dont care for the flying object but others especialy the big ones are going for combat!

Welcome to the party George.

Knowing where the big birds are raising the little birds might help keep you out of trouble. Nesting sites and the surrounding areas should be avoided.

RTH, for my birds anyway, does not fly very fast. You may want to consider running away in a faster mode.

don try to fly away from them. It happens to me all the time. Ascend slowly till you are above them, then get the hell out of there... You more likely to collide with them than what they are with you.

Geese are the worst, they do attack proper, so do birds of prey...

Reactions: Mako79
don try to fly away from them. It happens to me all the time. Ascend slowly till you are above them, then get the hell out of there... You more likely to collide with them than what they are with you.

Which continent are you on?

Interesting observation. Thanks for sharing.:D

Which continent are you on?

I dont see the point of the question?

I have flown pretty much everywhere, I have been sailing around the world for a number of years. They all behave the same, for the most part.

If you are near a fishing port you are absolutely going to get seagull attacks, those birds carry knives up there! I suspect they are protecting their territory.

Last edited:
Yea, me neither, except for getting a general idea of how natures flying machines might act around different parts of the globe.

The slow ascent thing has me curious. It's non aggressive but I would think "Get the heck out of there" would be the best approach.

I have been in a flock of about 40-50 gulls, they get close enough but dont physically attack, they are aggressive though. Personally, from experience I would rather be in nature with wolves and lions than 3rd world towns. You can predict the actions of a desperate animal, not a desperate human... (bit off topic now ;) )

Geese, all bets are off, I have seen those things attack dogs and would NEVER take off or land when they are around...

I am a US citizen, living between Africa and Europe, 5 years before I make it back to the US.

Reactions: IflyinWY
I have been in a flock of about 40-50 gulls, they get close enough but dont physically attack, they are aggressive though. Personally, from experience I would rather be in nature with wolves and lions than 3rd world towns. You can predict the actions of a desperate animal, not a desperate human... (bit off topic now ;) )

Geese, all bets are off, I have seen those things attack dogs and would NEVER take off or land when they are around...

I am a US citizen, living between Africa and Europe, 5 years before I make it back to the US.

Great on topic info. Again, thanks for sharing. I look forward to your delve into "Off Topic". I would love to hear of the places you put ashore, and those which you chose not to.

But focusing on the topic of birds attacking. I've found running from the birds of prey works well. Geese and gulls, I have not had to deal with much. They just pass through here for the most part. I know not to mess with the Mothers with babies.... :eek::eek::eek:

My first flight of my P3 was in Sri Lanka on the beach of Negombo - stunning scenery. I was chased by a couple of crows and crashed into a coconut tree on the beach. Luckily no damage done. Very lucky in fact!

Reactions: IflyinWY
birds.jpg

Yeah birds are scary encounters. I was attached by seagulls last weekend at the beach. Ascending is something I didn't think about. I did the opposite and descended as fast as possible. They attacked over and over, all the way down to about 15' from me, scary situation.

In my case it was only a couple of gulls making constant near miss passes. I'm pretty sure my P3P can ascend faster than a gull. Next time I'm attacked, when I see an opening, I can blast up high then scram outta the area to descend elsewhere. Yep, I'll have to try that next time, good tip!

Last edited:
We've got a bunch of nesting eagles and Ospreys around Grand Lake... I am VERY careful to pay attention to where the aeries are and stay far away from them.

I can just see it now... sitting in handcuffs because an eagle attacked my quadcopter and was injured and of course I am responsible for injury to a member of an endangered species...

I already lost a P2v+ to a Seagull attack. Depending on the time of the year, they can get pretty aggressive.
What I learn was: DON'T try to land. The phantom goes down very slowly, and while you are going down, you are just putting yourself in the best position for an attack from above.
The best thing you can do is to climb fast, while you drive the drone to your direction.
you can climb faster than a seagull, but you can't descend faster...unless they to strike your drone and then it will go pretty fast.

3 days after I lost my first drone to a sea gull attack, this happens with my brand new drone , on a different location:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This time I got away.

The problem is, depending how far the phantom is from you, you cannot see the birds, until its too late :S

Reactions: Mako79
I have seen eagles how they attack other birds and grabing them,for launch...so with the number of quads in the sky rising so fast,it is a matter of time to see a video on youtube with a quad in a different failsafe,return to eagle's home.Respect the nature and fly safe is the only thing we must do.

I already lost a P2v+ to a Seagull attack. Depending on the time of the year, they can get pretty aggressive.
What I learn was: DON'T try to land. The phantom goes down very slowly, and while you are going down, you are just putting yourself in the best position for an attack from above.
The best thing you can do is to climb fast, while you drive the drone to your direction.
you can climb faster than a seagull, but you can't descend faster...unless they to strike your drone and then it will go pretty fast.

3 days after I lost my first drone to a sea gull attack, this happens with my brand new drone , on a different location:

This time I got away.

The problem is, depending how far the phantom is from you, you cannot see the birds, until its too late :S

+1
Been chased a few times.
The problem is that you don't know where the nests are or where they are until you get airborne.
The best getaway is to get higher whilst moving until the phantom is out of the bird's territory. And NEVER descend. 2ms descent rate on the P2 gives the birds an opportunity to swoop from top down. And also, accelerating up makes the props spin faster so you chop up the bird so there will be no winners in the end (kidding).

And what's with the birds and the bees chasing phantoms.. my parents never taught me that lesson...

Also, has anyone heard about using stick on eyes or reflective ribbon to deter birds??

This was last week.

Thankfully they lost interest after this chase, and never came back, even after I returned to the same area multiple times to get the shot I'd been asked to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.