How to avoid getting attacked by a bird?

Olsen. I had to deal with that a couple weeks ago. It was buzzards that seemed to be curious. Had sight of it with it being about 500 feet from me and about 100 feet up. It was hovering and when I started moving it, they flew away. So, I guess the moral to the story is keep an eye on it, if you see them start moving, and then park it for a few minutes like I did until they left the area.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dr Crashmenot
I've read on FB (take it for what you paid for the advice) that adding "EYES" to the aircraft has some deterrent factor. I've not tried this myself.

By eyes I'm talking about the large "wobble" eyes found on stuffed animals etc.

I had buzzards checking me out once. Flew near a water tower they were perched on. Then they followed me back.

I had some big buzzards circling mine one time. I brought it back and waited for them to leave. They were far away at first and started getting closer and closer. I read somewhere that seagulls are very territorial also.

I had some big buzzards circling mine one time. I brought it back and waited for them to leave. They were far away at first and started getting closer and closer. I read somewhere that seagulls are very territorial also.

Seagulls are a seasonal problem. I live right on the coast and the seagulls interest varies between not giving a hoot to a casual swoop by to a really aggressive drive by shooting mode. When they are roosting?/ nesting they are extraordinarily territorial.

Options and strategies that have worked for me : 1. Get out of Dodge 2. fly backwards, birds can't, it may save you a few seconds. 3. fly towards your opponent, negate the chase instinct. 4. gain altitude rapidly. and or change direction rapidly.

Rapidly losing altitude seems to indicate success to the aggressive bird so better to fly away rapidly and lose height away from the bird.

Just my observations, Obviously if you are causing annoyance to the birds, best policy is just to get the heck out of there.

Dont fly in their territory..
Seriously, i dont know there that is much more that can be done. Virtually every time a fly around my home, several hawks come to "check me out" so i'll be watching this thread for any better suggestions.
That seems to be the best policy. They were there first. :)

I'm hoping your more worried about the Eagles safety than your birds(seeing how it was there space first). I definitely make sure my prop guards are on when I'm by the water cause of course thats where there going to be. When there nesting is really when there going to take u down. You never want to spend to much time in one place either when u know there nests r close. Best advise though is what u have heard already is just leave the area.

Stealth mode button on the GO app? No of course I am kidding. I personally never thought the buzzards would be interested in something that wasn't dead and stinking, but they started their circular soar following me. I believe they made my drone their leader. But as soon as I noticed them, I packed up and went home for the day, worried they would follow me home I took a different route than usual. No problems out of them since that day.

Almost every time I fly, doesn't matter where, I run into a group of doves. A bunch with 20-25 birds. I usually don't see them at first because they are sitting on the ground. If I get close enough, they will all take off in a bunch. I try to fly opposite to their direction of flight. They tend to fly away from my aircraft, but they are unpredictable. So far.. So good. No impacts.

I was doing a pano of 25 shots over a river today there were 4 seagulls circling and definitely interested. Maaaaan, I was ready on the sticks. My first thought was if they get near, its full throttle down and toward me but no problem. They were just curious and kept their distance. Still, my heart was racing waiting for 25 auto pano shots to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I was trying to capture a dude feeding seagulls 2 weeks ago. When I get closer, they started to come after my Mavic. They probably thought it wanted a piece of pie and felt threatened.

I pushed the left stick all the way up while switched to sport mode with my right hand, then full throttled out of there. One of them almost got me, but the sport mode saved my ***.

Would never do that again!

P.S. now I fly with sport mode on all the time when there are seagulls near by.

ad_183137135-e1443711448326.jpg

Here imiddle Georgia we have more Buzzards than dogs and Cats, I have found that the Buzzards over my acreage tend to circle with the drone while not getting too close, So far, 3 or 4 flights a day they have been doing the same thing, kinda like they wanna fly with it, go figure..
Going to try and get some shots of them following with my DSLR and a 800mm zoom with wide angle. my 2 cents says the Buzzards wont attack the drone. never seen em bother another raptor or Geese passing through and we have tons of both out here, 40 miles west of Macon Ga,
Hawks or EAGLES SHOW UP?, GET GONE, THEY WONT HESITATE.
HAPPY FLYING

Last edited:
Anyone want some feathers to wrap their landing gear with in addition to eyes, get in touch, i have tons of turkey feathers, free for the asking.. you can also get feathers at hobby lobby Michaels and ebay as well i would imagine.
Im gonna try the eyes thing . Dont wanna be caught naked with all the Hawks we have around here..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl