How much better is Lightbridge?

To be honest, I'd be really happy with 1/2 a mile to a mile, just as long as I keep the fpv. Like I said, I live in a really rural area with a lot of farmland so there's not much to interfere with my signal but the Standard, put simply, was just not up to the job. To be honest, I wouldn't want to go much further as I live near Salisbury plain and there's a hell of a lot of military air traffic, Apaches, Chinooks etc that travel in our airspace.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
U must be close to me I live just outside Andover and just along road from wallop airbase where Apaches are based.
I've had mine to 1.5 miles with still full signal with windsurfer .gonna try good bit further this weekend if weather is ok

I'm ordering from a company in north east England, who have stock (which is rare in itself at the moment, as these are selling like hot cakes over here) and next day delivery....happy days!

Jessops in the anvil shopping mall Basingstoke has a large DJI PHANTOM stock and even a display mate.

More money than sense? Or neither? Why have the same stuff- why would one purchase both the Pro and Advanced and then the standard. And then consider the 4K.

Is it fun flushing cash down a dirty toilet?

Yeah I have one of each. Just picked up the Standard last week. At only $499 I couldn't resist. OK so I am a Phantom-aholic... o_O

There is still that 4K model... :p

I was kinda joking about the 4K, though I would love to have a 4K controller. The reason I got both a Pro & Advanced is when I initially ordered my Pro I wanted to purchase a spare aircraft with camera. I purchased during the Black Friday sale when you were getting a Pro with a free 2nd battery. When I priced purchasing a spare aircraft & camera, it was basically as much as the Pro sale package. Then I thought why not save even more & get an Advanced instead since it was also on sale with a free second battery.

I can't recall the exact price but I think the Pro w/2nd battery was $1159 & the Advanced w/2nd battery was $949 for $2108. That was cheaper than the Pro & a secondaircraft w/Pro camera, plus I got TWO more batteries for 4 total, two extra sets of props, & a spare RC. Knowing I was going to purchase a spare aircraft/cam regardless made the whole thing more cost effective & logical.

As to the Standard, I still have my original Vision+ which has served me well. With a Standard I was basically getting this year's version of the Vision+ for only $499 (a Vision+ was $1259..price of a Pro!). A battery is $149, two sets of props $24, a charger $40, & I can always use these items. I also got a free $75 AMA annual membership voucher from Best Buy included with the purchase & my AMA expires in March. This means the Standard aircraft with camera & RC essentially cost me $211. Kind of hard to pass up with the $499 sale.

The more pertinent reason for wanting a Standard is I love the long-range autonomous missions. With the Standard SDK now available making these missions an option, the Standard is a more palatable choice for riskier long range stuff. With 2 extra minutes of flight time over a Pro/Advanced that could mean the difference between making it home or falling a mile & a half short.

More money than sense? Or neither? Why have the same stuff- why would one purchase both the Pro and Advanced and then the standard. And then consider the 4K.

Reactions: jamesb72
That was such a roundabout way of saying "I wanted 2 aircraft and a third spare and wasted less money than you would think" wow.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
The max transmission distance of the P3A/P3P is 4 times the P3S distance (and 7 times since you're CE). Even if you don't reach the max transmission distance with the P3A/P3P, you should still see a significant increase.
I thought FCC spec allowed more range than CE ?

LOL

Maybe some folk have that money to spend ;)

I was kinda joking about the 4K, though I would love to have a 4K controller. The reason I got both a Pro & Advanced is when I initially ordered my Pro I wanted to purchase a spare aircraft with camera. I purchased during the Black Friday sale when you were getting a Pro with a free 2nd battery. When I priced purchasing a spare aircraft & camera, it was basically as much as the Pro sale package. Then I thought why not save even more & get an Advanced instead since it was also on sale with a free second battery.

I can't recall the exact price but I think the Pro w/2nd battery was $1159 & the Advanced w/2nd battery was $949 for $2108. That was cheaper than the Pro & a secondaircraft w/Pro camera, plus I got TWO more batteries for 4 total, two extra sets of props, & a spare RC. Knowing I was going to purchase a spare aircraft/cam regardless made the whole thing more cost effective & logical.

As to the Standard, I still have my original Vision+ which has served me well. With a Standard I was basically getting this year's version of the Vision+ for only $499 (a Vision+ was $1259..price of a Pro!). A battery is $149, two sets of props $24, a charger $40, & I can always use these items. I also got a free $75 AMA annual membership voucher from Best Buy included with the purchase & my AMA expires in March. This means the Standard aircraft with camera & RC essentially cost me $211. Kind of hard to pass up with the $499 sale.

The more pertinent reason for wanting a Standard is I love the long-range autonomous missions. With the Standard SDK now available making these missions an option, the Standard is a more palatable choice for riskier long range stuff. With 2 extra minutes of flight time over a Pro/Advanced that could mean the difference between making it home or falling a mile & a half short.

I think you just wrote all that to make yourself feel better about the s...t load of money you spent hahaha just kidding :tonguewink:
Good for you man!!! now you just need to get an inspire and you'll be the cool kid on the forum LOL

Before ordering the Pro I seriously did consider purchasing an Inspire. Then I saw the Inspire Pro & it was like $4400 before accessorizing & decided it was half the price to get two Phantoms instead.

I think you just wrote all that to make yourself feel better about the s...t load of money you spent hahaha just kidding :tonguewink:
Good for you man!!! now you just need to get an inspire and you'll be the cool kid on the forum LOL

I went straight for the Pro on the advise of a friend,
He was correct,
I love this thing,
Lightbridge is the way to go,
This screen shot is from yesterdays flight,
2.9 miles out,
The only mod is a slip-on windsurfer.
Without the windsurfer I can easily fly out to 6000'
YOU DID GOOD.

The Lightbridge by itself sells for near the P3P price. And the FPV HD picture quality and range boggles my mind. Overkill for taking pictures of your house! Although with the high quality of the real time feed, you really know what your video or photo will look like. So it might be worth it, even if you were sticking very close. I've seen over two miles just stock out over open terrain or water (Ocean) easy.

Beyond a fairly trivial distance you have to fly by FPV anyway, because of the quad's symmetry. As long as you don't present a danger to others, flying with the bird out of visual sight, vs being able to see a spec (to be "legal") in the distance is the same thing, and "getting caught" just isn't going to happen. The FAA is probably in DC, and are smoking legal weed before there "recommendations".

You've know this already or you have great eyes! Oh, you must have had a spotter! LOL The freedom it gives you to roam is REALLY fun and addicting. I'm hooked on the P3P. Incredible machine, awesome video footage, and it's even sturdy.

Before ordering the Pro I seriously did consider purchasing an Inspire. Then I saw the Inspire Pro & it was like $4400 before accessorizing & decided it was half the price to get two Phantoms instead.

For $4400 I'll get me a nice Toyota Corolla and I'll travel way way farther than an inspire ever will hahaha

Reactions: Dirty Bird
I'll never forget shortly after the Inspire was released watching a video where a guy took off from his driveway & promptly smashed his brand new Inspire 1 into the garage door. His wife was standing near the point of impact & watched in horror as it crashed and bits started flying off. Egads! :eek:

The Inspire 1 is an awesome machine & I truly love the way it transforms in flight, but having so much money tied up in a single aircraft is why I opted for dual-Phantoms. I can't imagine I'd have much fun flying with so much money on the line with every flight. Would definitely cramp my style! It's also a lot more to lug around than the much more diminutive Phantom.

For $4400 I'll get me a nice Toyota Corolla and I'll travel way way farther than an inspire ever will hahaha

Last edited:
I'll never forget shortly after the Inspire was released watching a video where a guy standing took off from his driveway & promptly smashed his brand new Inspire 1 into the garage door. His wife was standing near the point of impact & watched in horror as it crashed and bits started flying off. Egads! :eek:

The Inspire 1 is an awesome machine & I truly love the way it transforms in flight, but having so much money tied up in a single aircraft is why I opted for dual-Phantoms. I can't imagine I'd have much fun flying with so much money on the line with every flight. Would definitely crimp my style! It's also a lot more to lug around than the much more diminutive Phantom.

Oh yeah I've seen that video. I use to have a 350qx (I have the QX3 now) anyways the first 350qx I got, flew away from me, it was my fault for flying it by my house with lots of interference. That day I wanted to cry hahahaha you have no idea how useless I felt when I saw it going back to china I guess lol

Yeah- bad idea to have that much money tied up in a single drone. Much smarter to have it tied up in 3 or 4 superfluous other drones.

I'll never forget shortly after the Inspire was released watching a video where a guy took off from his driveway & promptly smashed his brand new Inspire 1 into the garage door. His wife was standing near the point of impact & watched in horror as it crashed and bits started flying off. Egads! :eek:

The Inspire 1 is an awesome machine & I truly love the way it transforms in flight, but having so much money tied up in a single aircraft is why I opted for dual-Phantoms. I can't imagine I'd have much fun flying with so much money on the line with every flight. Would definitely cramp my style! It's also a lot more to lug around than the much more diminutive Phantom.

U must be close to me I live just outside Andover and just along road from wallop airbase where Apaches are based.
I've had mine to 1.5 miles with still full signal with windsurfer .gonna try good bit further this weekend if weather is ok
Yep, I live in Wilton, so not that far away! Its only when you see one of those Apaches flying over do you realise how insignificant your little phantom is [emoji43] and also the reason why I would never fly mine irresponsibly. Its starting to sound really promising, the distances that some of you guys get. I think the best day we're gonna get this weekend is Saturday which is sandwiched in between high winds today and heavy rain on Sunday, so I intend to make the most of it!

Jessops in the anvil shopping mall Basingstoke has a large DJI PHANTOM stock and even a display mate.
I thought about that and I'd love to have driven over to Jessops and on their website it says that I could collect one straight away but delivery would take 10 days(!) I can't drive at the moment (for a month) as I'm recovering from a heart attack and getting a train would have ended up costing me more money, so ordering it from Heliguy (who are superb and an authorised DJI dealer and repair centre) with free next day delivery made more sense.

I don't consider it a waste just a hobby. 4 Phantoms (including the Vision+) is pretty tame in comparison to some of my other stuff. I also have about 50 fixed-wing aircraft, two gun safes chock full of uber-cool boy toys, a dozen computers, half a dozen cameras, a dozen guitars, the massive Ryobi One+ collection, etc.. Oh & then there is the 40+ custom lightsabers. o_O I enjoy my hobbies & all together it still adds up to a lot less than my neighbor has invested in his custom show Vette. :cool:

fMpUbUHiq_MvI0z_LcX5MdGrK01KSrN8VbuGm5z0I7p2pGKXQNQcV_DnVe9gK3Oash3oIaoBOHF8gO9zoJz7sR6ERFpx-QAn8ijdB2GKXPSW1ZubP65vz2MMy8U0MRTacywvVX_k5u-3CHbiWhvytyQoGjzDcAJYQhBsVGDj2hL1k8q_ghG7Cm8NZj6J_7wv6Vj_KHQBYOA8f4kI0w6VoUuebOZB_mZ29Xj5_z1mwGDOl1TCVewv6T46E50-yCJdcNj103U16bImhmTiFbYvwHIONQ9CG1fkYGD4lIgVhe4tAVW6WH9XOvnhc_5NSKbPY19jrzMfZ9LarI-lYMFGRMLOtoFY6SdYy6d6ToareT8_Hr8_fQNTwYtRnHTfaT54hFBTIf2wFGDQI5Bxrk7jSJLQbxs6mP5PkdLoPDh-1xuNAn5mtyNZ6HfW4rSBmBtpew6dy6ejx3K7Mb7o7qsH47p_UV_u0F8V-EgSYx_ckyYUVRw0PmWiu4oqeiam4N8ZUvgNRgkmzynZVC_n59k4pXF0LTf8FGHkjl3yiUK3iqtdZ-YkyEfJd2U5_4F1n6ZFdq8mtw=w1131-h636-no

That was such a roundabout way of saying "I wanted 2 aircraft and a third spare and wasted less money than you would think" wow.

Yep, I live in Wilton, so not that far away! Its only when you see one of those Apaches flying over do you realise how insignificant your little phantom is [emoji43] and also the reason why I would never fly mine irresponsibly. Its starting to sound really promising, the distances that some of you guys get. I think the best day we're gonna get this weekend is Saturday which is sandwiched in between high winds today and heavy rain on Sunday, so I intend to make the most of it!

yeah il be out with mine this saturday and im going to see how far it goes,remember and take in to account a possible headwind on way back lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl