how many use a external GPS tracker

Have any of you done a simulation to verify how and if it works, i.e. Start up like normal mission, then have someone take it to an unknown location (they stay with it of course) and then track it down?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
yes they work. Drove about a mile and set it in a field. Went back from where I was flying from and dialed the trackers cell number. It pops up on goggle maps and brought back to around 20 feet from it. So yes they work

11af49aafae0f1a7c11079139a77eaed.jpg

Trackimo mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

With the issues many people (including myself) have had with gimbal guards causing issues, I would avoid mounting a device on the landing gear of my P4. It made a lot more sense to use the mount I got from Jason which hangs it down from the shell, far from the landing gear.

Marco polo it's a radar system and the it works up to 2miles in open spaces which usually in the real word is less. And the price is about 5 times higher than a good GPS tracker. For me 2 miles is really not enough. A fly away could be way more far than 2 miles. I really prefer the GPS.

W la figa

Marco polo it's a radar system and the it works up to 2miles in open spaces which usually in the real word is less. And the price is about 5 times higher than a good GPS tracker. For me 2 miles is really not enough. A fly away could be way more far than 2 miles. I really prefer the GPS.

W la figa
what do you pay per month for your gps tracker?

But if you are flying where there is no cell service, I guess you really didn't save any money, because now there is little or no way of finding your drone.

Reactions: Gary E
But if you are flying where there is no cell service, I guess you really didn't save any money, because now there is little or no way of finding your drone.

The ultimate solution is BOTH!

Life is full of risks and I figure DJI will gladly sell me a replacement when the day comes!

I'm trying to understand what you're talking about. The conversation had turned to the Marco Polo, which does not rely on cell service. If you're making a comment on the Trackimo, it has been discussed time and again that this is a cell service based system. What point are you making?

how many use a tracker device attached to the bird if you lose it. I thought the maps were enough if she went down. And if so where is the best place to attach it to the P4. I have one that I use on my Q500+ that I maybe should start using on the p4 also

Whistle GPS Pet Tracker for dogs and cats | Whistle Used to be called Tagg.
I also use Tagg when mountain biking, riding my dirt bike,hiking and other activities I may do alone. It makes my wife freak out much less if she knows she can track me if something were to go wrong. At 8 bucks a month...priceless!

Have any of you done a simulation to verify how and if it works, i.e. Start up like normal mission, then have someone take it to an unknown location (they stay with it of course) and then track it down?

how many use a tracker device attached to the bird if you lose it. I thought the maps were enough if she went down. And if so where is the best place to attach it to the P4. I have one that I use on my Q500+ that I maybe should start using on the p4 also
I use a trackimo, lost drone once,and trackimo took me to it.

Nothing. just a dead weight for me. I had one installed on my P2, but eventually removed it. P3 and P4 are so reliable that it's a waste IMO. I appreciate that some are specialized in going too far and use RTH as a flight mode, (where RTH is actually an emergency procedure), but if you fly reasonably and don't put yourself in the possibility of loosing it, you shouldn't have to look for your drone and locate it in the middle of nowhere. Hardware failures could happen of course, I heard of them, never seen any. Got 4 drones, P2 P3 P4 and S900, and I feel perfectly fine flying without a tracker. I always bring them back home safely, and luck has nothing to do with it.
Just my experience...

"........Trackimo. Most of the ones that you will find being sold are the old 2G model, which might become obsolete very shortly when the cellular networks stop supporting 2G. It is impossible to tell which one you have by looking at it. The only way to know is to check the small print on the box that shows the model number."

I just got a Trackimo for my P4. What, specifically, do I look for in the model # that tells me it is 2G or 3G?

I have tried just about every tracker out there and I have settled on using Flytrex trackers on all my birds. The most accurate of all them.

Talking from your great, long experience? lol....

Yeah, always expect the unexpected! I never thought a deer would run out in front of my bike while I was doing 70, but **** happens lol, luckily I lived to tell the tale, the deer didn't, neither did the bike :)

Plus I used to fly fixed wing electric displays at shows, Sandown Park model symposium to name but one, so do have a modicum of experience, just new to drones, not flown the planes for around 7 years though now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers