How many satellites does everyone get?

First time with iOSD tonite, 7 on the ground and 11 in the air, Northern Cape South Africa.

Good discussion. I was getting ready to ask the same questions. I have lost GPS signal on my P2V+ due to lost satellites. For a new flyer that can be pretty terrifying. I live in an Atlanta suburb and scarcely get more than 7 satellites and it can drop to 5 very quickly. I am hesitant to try Ground Station or any distant flying. Is there a way to lock more satellites and keep them?

it takes mine five to ten minutes to get six while on the ground, then 10 to 14 in flight.

I usually grab 7-8 on the ground and spike up to 12-14 once in the air.

dirkclod said:
SteveMann said:
it takes mine five to ten minutes to get six while on the ground, then 10 to 14 in flight.

Sounds like you need to do the GPS mod :idea:
Winter project.
Wild idea for a future mod - move the GPS antenna on a stalk above the rotor plane (and further from the ESC's and radios).

Offhand, does anyone know what GPS chip the Phantom uses? Some are capable of simultaneous GLONASS/GPS modes and can be more accurate than GPS or GLONASS alone.

This is an old thread. Nowadays, answers would be best if qualified by your aircraft since modern aircraft use a better system.

I have a P2V and almost always get at least 6 within a minute - and I get 7 or more most of the time, and I've got trees all around me. I did the GPS cable re-route mod a long time ago which I think helps a lot. Once I get some altitude, I get anywhere from 9 to 13. No more, no less.

Offhand, does anyone know what GPS chip the Phantom uses? Some are capable of simultaneous GLONASS/GPS modes and can be more accurate than GPS or GLONASS alone.

The P3A and P3P receive both GPS and GLONASS. I typically "see" 14-16 on my P3A. I have no idea what chip.

S

P3P in MN and I always get 15+

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

P3A, usual 17-18, I have also seen 20/21. I bet I got a lot of both GPS and GLONASS-lock.Living around 60 N latitude

Best yet is 12 [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4