How many satellites does everyone get?

The Editor said:
Seedler said:
EMCSQUAR I think your rite, I might check the ceramic antenna as well, in case there are any cracks.

Hope its something simple.

Do I need to be careful of static when working with gps module?

Thanks,

Damien.

Try this ---> http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/

It should give you an indication on how many sats you can expect to see.

That site is pretty awesome, thanks. It confirms that my car satnav is seeing the exact same numbers that are predicted on the site at each time of day. It also confirms there is definitely something wrong with my Phantom. I ordered a few ceramic patch antennas just in case. one 2mm, same as stock, and one 4mm. I'll have a play around and get back to you all.

Thanks,

Damien.

Hi,

Still waiting on patch antenna arriving so I thought I'd do a bit more testing. I got a lend of a tomtom one today. Took the phantom out to a large open area and set it up. The tomtom was on the ground beside it. The phantom eventually picked up 8 satelites while on the ground. The tomtom was picking up 10 satellites. So I decided to lift the phantom up to about 5 metres, and as usual once I took off it started to loose satellites. I left it hovering there for about five minutes and in that time it jumped around between 8 and 5 satellites. I had to correct a few times as it started to drift off. After 5 mins I landed and the iosd mini went to 8 satellites and stayed there till I pulled the battery. When I looked at the tomtom it was actually picking up 11 satellites now.

The fact I was not getting as many satellites as the tomtom and the fact I was loosing satellites when moving started to make me think something was loose. A few weeks ago I had replaced the main board and added canbus to it. Took the gps module out tonight and everything looks fine. All connectors were in tight. I was hoping I'd find a crack in the antenna, but it looks fine too.

As I'm typing I'm realising I've had this problem since I bought the phantom, so It cant be anything to do with the upgrade board.

I don't know what to do next. Is it pointless replacing the antenna just incase?

Or is there any way of testing the gps module?

Wish I could get this sorted.

Thanks,

Damien.

Kelso Kubat said:
how do you check your satellites on a phantom 2 (non vision)
???? :shock:

The pattern of the lights will give you an idea of how many satellites. An OSD and Ground Station display the actual number of satellites. Other than those 3 methods, I'm unaware of any other.

With so many saying how many satellites they are getting.....how do you know that for a fact with a bare Phantom just watching led status? BTW....In atti mode, the Phantom will drift if it was moving . Gps will keep it in one spot

Hi Damien
Did you get sorted with your satellite issue. Im in N. Ireland if that is any help to you. Im getting about 9 most times.

8-11 Florida

:D I did a test with my P2V+ today in Southern Idaho.
We had been hunting and using Garmin radios. All three Garmins showed 12 possible sats. with #12 fading in and out. 5 of them we very strong and the other 7 were variable around 30% to 75%.
I did the dance and had 7 sats. locked on the bird. Started my video, still showed 7 sats. locked. Took off and hovered at 30' to confirm home lock and noticed my sats. were up to 11 just like the Garmin!
Pretty short flight, as winds were gusty, but I wanted to confirm this test works. I also confirmed (my +bird) does not drop sats. by turning on the video (I have no mods. other than Flytrex Core 2 and DE channel 7).
I've used the sat. predictor, but the Garmin tells you what you really are getting for gps reception.

For Damien, I hope you get a new gps module and it works! :D

North London UK football field area surrounded by trees (20 to 40feet) P2 Zen.
Up to 14 sats recently. Usually 10/11.

8-12 Mexico, Tulum

IflyinWY said:
Unless I'm doing it wrong. How do you know how many you get when you fly?

It's among all the useful data displayed on the app for those of us flying the P2V or P2+.
Along with height, speed, battery level, direction and distance out.

I had 11-12 today in the Netherlands, mostly 9-10.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj