How many safe flights in a row?

I've done over 90 flights so far. In the first 10 I had a couple of harmless tipovers. At flight 55, I crashed into a chicken wire fence I didn't see and trashed all the props. At flight 80 or so, I stupidly flew into the wind shadow of a car on landing and crashed breaking a prop. But I've learned to do hand landings when it's windy and not be wishy washy about taking off. I don't do remote landings but have done a few exciting flights where I am operating LOS but 100-200+' below takeoff.

My P2V had two serious crashes within the first 3 days because I overextended my limited flying capabilities and backed into a tree and slid sideways into an athletic field light pole, but since then, I've flown several times a week for 3 months with "rock solid" performance. I'm getting my money's worth.

65 flights in 38 sessions on two continents from freezing&windy to sunny&calm.

Absolutely no technical problems. P2V performed as advertised.

Three small mishaps, all caused by the pilot:

Tipped over on landing on 3rd flight because we used CTC to stop props. Reading the manual properly would have revealed that throttling fully down for a few seconds is the right way to do this. Conclusion: RTFM! We also changed to hand landing almost always.

Flew into tree because of mis-judged wind&distance. P2V fell to rocky ground from about 10 feet up, battery popped out a little, limitig damage. Cost was one notched prop. Conclusion: Judging distance accurately more than 20 feet away is very difficult. Use higher margins; if in doubt fly high.

Flew into tree on take off because of badly chosen takeoff site. Root cause was fatigue and desire to get a unique shot. Cost was one broken lead in tilt gimbal cable .This one is a perfect example of how to disregard what I learned about human factors during pilot training. I still did it. Very embarassing! Conclusion: Add human factors to preflight check list. Install package string loops around mounting arms to prevent camera flying off on imact.

Principles: thorough preflight, no intentional flying beyond visual range, 4-eyes whenever using the video feed much, slowly expanding envelope in safe conditions, being cogniscant of the wind and gaining proficiency in ATTI mode without GPS.

Oh yes: 26 flights since latest mishap.

My answer depends on how you define "safe"! I've had ~20 flights so far this spring. I've never had a real crash or hit anything. As I'm still new I have a tendency to tip it on take off. No damage so far except getting the props dirty! I suppose I need to take off hard and get away from the ground quickly.

Does anyone know why the craft sometimes wants to take off at an angle? It's not always due to strong winds.

Jeff_S said:
Does anyone know why the craft sometimes wants to take off at an angle? It's not always due to strong winds.

My experience is that brisk application of throttle is key to safe take offs. Make sure that the area is clear and GO! I almost always use full throttle until well airborne. The advantage of that is that you are clear of obstacles as quickly as possible and the upward momentum minimises the effect of low level wind and windshear caused by surrounding terrain and and obstacles.

My observation is that tilting on take off is mostly due to friction of the landing gear against a lateral moment. The lateral moment does not have to be from wind. It can be from small differences in torque or lift between the rotors. It is important to get the gear off the ground completely before this happens. Hence my advice to apply the throttle briskly and not gradually.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4