How many flying guidelines can be broken in one video...?

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, this guy has done a great job of capturing the scenery around Barry in South Wales, but it does make me worry that it may encourage others to take similar risks / break CAA / FAA guidelines. How many breaches of the drone / UAV flying guidelines can you spot?

(for those who don't know the area, the park with the viaduct is pretty much at the end of Cardiff International Airport)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Planker
My God, he flew over a pedestrian EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE!! Auuuugh!
What the frack? Where in this video do you see any "the sky is falling" risk that worries you so much?

It is a good video - I just wanted to make sure the guidelines are clear.

CAA = UK Civil Aviation Authority who say you can't fly within 50 metres of structures. Their rules at http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1995/CAP 1202UAVsafetyrules.pdf say:

"Don’t fly your unmanned aircraft within 50m (165ft) of a person, vehicle, building or structure, or overhead groups of people at any height."

Some of the footage is 600m from the end of the runway of an International airport, that's the main point.

Reactions: cjmwales
Don't get me wrong, this guy has done a great job of capturing the scenery around Barry in South Wales, but it does make me worry that it may encourage others to take similar risks / break CAA / FAA guidelines. How many breaches of the drone / UAV flying guidelines can you spot?

(for those who don't know the area, the park with the viaduct is pretty much at the end of Cardiff International Airport)

I'm surprised he didn't have his collar felt for flying so close to the airport!

I'm also disappointed with the lack of Log Flume. And since when has the Beacons reservoir been in Barry? :rolleyes:

I counted about 10 things the CAA would be upset with, some more serious than others.

Not to mention a breach of copyright in the song :D

As far as risks the only thing that seems like are being risked is that its in the nanny state and could be at risk of breaking some laws. Being they have lots of them on that side of the pond.

Reactions: dirkclod
As far as risks the only thing that seems like are being risked is that its in the nanny state and could be at risk of breaking some laws. Being they have lots of them on that side of the pond.

I don't think the CAAs rules differ so much from those of the FAA though I don't really know the FAA rules all that well

The CAA rules pretty much makes filming anything interesting impossible. Thankfully the FAA has only made that a challenge for professionals.

He'd be a poor bloke if the CAA charged £100 for each infraction and there were many. But I admit he did a nice job of editing.

Great video. Where I live there was nothing inappropriate about his flying. I dont know how close to the airport and how high at the time but looked good to me.

Reactions: dirkclod
Great video. Where I live there was nothing inappropriate about his flying. I dont know how close to the airport and how high at the time but looked good to me.

His flight may look good to you by our standards here in the US but not by the standards in the UK according to CAA rules.

I don't think I'll be flying around there anytime soon (especially as I'm considering going there to finish off my PPL!).

Nick I wanted to be on your side with this as it would be against stevemann (he's too right to many times) but I'm finding it hard.

I was keeping in-mind what you mentioned about the video as I watched it, by the time I got to the end I had enjoyed it so much I'd completely forgotten why I had watched it.

The scenery was just beautiful the train shot was almost perfect, capturing the three sheep was very good and all transitions were done with taste.

Golly gosh I'm going to have to watch it again.

:)

Reactions: Gemini
Nick I wanted to be on your side with this as it would be against stevemann (he's too right to many times) but I'm finding it hard.

Until today, I'd never been attacked with such appalling accuracy.

Reactions: terrylowe
Yea was just stating that it would be OK where I live except for the airport. That is very close to the airport .

The only thing he had going for him was he was about 50-100' below the surface of the runway according to Google earth.

Just playing devils advocate, how do we know that the relevant permissions weren't gained? e.g. agreement from building owners, Cardiff ATC approval etc. I know, highly unlikely and for some of the actions there isn't a permission, but you never know ;-)

So then are all airports restricted in the UK or what?
Here in the states, not all are. Only the major airports with radar.
I live near an airport that only operates in the day time and has no radar.
It does not have any restrictions I know of.
There is a golf course right next to it and a small park. Which I have flown in.
And I fly in a park just down the street from it. So what?

The charges the FAA laid against Pirker were totally hilarious.
Like flying within 20 feet of a statue, over traintracks, over and under a pedestrian walkway.
Totally making a mountain out of thin air.

Reactions: J.James
Most UK airports will have controlled airspace around them, but that doesn't mean you can't fly in them. This is an extract from CAP722 Sixth Edition, 31 March 2015
- Unmanned Aircraft System Operations in UK Airspace – Guidance by the CAA.

'Under ANO 2009 Article 166, operators of Small Unmanned Aircraft (SUA) with a mass of 7 kg or less are not required to gain an Non-Standard Flight approval from Air Traffic Control (ATC) to operate within Class A, C, D or E airspace or within an active ATZ. However ANO Article 166 states that a person in charge of a SUA ‘may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made’ and that they ‘must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft ... for the purpose of avoiding collisions’. In practical terms, SUA of any mass could present a particular hazard when operating near an aerodrome or other landing site due to the presence of manned aircraft taking off and landing. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that contact with the relevant ATS unit is made prior to conducting such a flight. As in paragraph 1.34, advice and information may be provided on the local air situation that will help the operator satisfy themselves that the flight can safely be made. Such information provided by the ATS unit does not constitute or infer an approval to operate in the airspace and does not absolve the operator from the responsibility for avoiding all other aircraft. Contact details for aerodromes and ATS units can be found in the AD section of the UK AIP.

Operators of any SUA of mass 7 kg or less, are strongly advised for collision avoidance purposes, to remain clear of charted aerodromes by at least a distance of 5 km, whether or not the aerodrome is in controlled airspace or has an associated ATZ.'

So for small drones it looks like you don't need approval/permission.

So then are all airports restricted in the UK or what?
Here in the states, not all are. Only the major airports with radar.
I live near an airport that only operates in the day time and has no radar.
It does not have any restrictions I know of.

The current FAA rules require you to notify ATC or the airport manager when you plan to fly within five miles. Notify, not ask permission. This includes all airports and heliports, no matter how small or how infrequently used.

FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, Section 336 Special Rule for Model Aircraft:
(a)(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation...

You don't have your location in your profile, so I can't tell you who the airport manager is, so find out who the manager is and quote the law (it will likely be a surprise to him) and ask "is this a good phone number for me to call every time I plan to fly?" The airport manager has the option of issuing a letter of agreement that specifies a location and maximum altitude where you can fly without calling him every time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31