How many flight hours would you recommend before starting a drone business?

Reaction score
Ok, so let's say if I get my 107. How many flight hours is good before starting a business. I know this totally varies depending on skill level and the type of flying done. I'm not talking about hours of flying in the back yard... I mean varied flying, going high, working pans, turns, distance, etc. Maybe some good input would be from those of you who have businesses, when did you start? Let's say it's just a real estate job or flying over some land. Would you start a business after 10 hours at least, 20 hours, 50 hours? More?

Ok, so let's say if I get my 107. How many flight hours is good before starting a business. I know this totally varies depending on skill level and the type of flying done. I'm not talking about hours of flying in the back yard... I mean varied flying, going high, working pans, turns, distance, etc. Maybe some good input would be from those of you who have businesses, when did you start? Let's say it's just a real estate job or flying over some land. Would you start a business after 10 hours at least, 20 hours, 50 hours? More?
Probably hard to answer in hours. Like many here, I started with RC years before getting into a quad. So, already having a fair amount of stick time, the self flying quad is nothing to fly. What's more important is filming which was new to me with the Phantom. (P2V 2014) I would have never seriously entertained a business with that model based on watching the video. However, with the P4, my video is amazing. I show it to folks all the time and get great responses. I could probably do this as a business. My priority would be in learning better editing and frankly, taking more stills. Also, if you're doing real estate you would likely need to take pictures of houses from the inside as well. So basically, you're a photographer. Taking pictures isn't just to document, but to sell. They need to "pop". I bought a house 5 years ago and looked at hundreds of pictures of houses, inside and out. Certain photos just made you want to go see that house! One I looked at did have aerial photos. Most listings on the internet are stills so I would suggest taking more stills and learning your editing software.

If you like what you see in your videos and stills, and you don't crash and you have a good handle on the rules...you're ready. You will get better, faster, doing it for real.

Geo
BTW - I only do this for fun! I have a job. :):)

Doesn't really matter. The only thing that really matters is results. I can tell you this tho, if you're a **** photographer/video guy on the ground, magically flying 400 feet in the air isn't going to solve the issues.

My niece is a pro photographer and her pictures and videos with a cell phone reflect this. It's the eye behind the lens that makes the difference.

Reactions: Mystic Sky Media
I would love to know how long it took some of you then... Yes, and I know everyone is different, but still would be interesting to know.

I have recently been looking/editing some video I made two years ago with the P2V. The quality of coarse is bad by comparison and only a two axis gimbal. Other than that the compositions aren't bad and could be used. However videos made this year are soo much better. I attribute much of it to the newer technology. Being able to do POI automatically and missions. But my flying gets better with use. I now spend more time watching the live feed than I do watching the craft. This is a big change due to better video quality and the use of an iPad as a monitor.
For me it's the subject matter that makes the difference.

Geo

I would love to know how long it took some of you then... Yes, and I know everyone is different, but still would be interesting to know.

Personally it took me 15 minutes to learn how to fly the drone for the first time. I wouldn't say I'm a master or even advanced user but it's seriously so simple to do now right out of the box.

The drone flying was the easy part. The photography is the hard part [emoji16] but I've been working on that for years.

I think its more about marketing. Who is going to pay for what and how often? The drone learning process is fairly straight forward. Finding a way to make any real $ doing it is harder I believe.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I think its more about marketing. Who is going to pay for what and how often? The drone learning process is fairly straight forward. Finding a way to make any real $ doing it is harder I believe.

That may depend on who you are, what you're currently doing and where your market is as well. I'm new to drone world but my industry (Landscape Irrigation) is accepting Drone video and stills as a high impact marketing tool. If you can provide a reasonably priced quality product there's a solid market for it. Contractors love to show previous work to prospective clients and being able to carry your "brochure" in the Ipad or phone is an attractive prospect.

Flying a drone doesn't take a long time, especially after you get the 'thrashing it around a field' and 'opps that was close' next to a tree. Once you're confident, being realistic, you can THEN start to learn how to actually create beautiful looking shots. That, as well as the editing, takes time. Corel Video Studio x10 wouldn't take a person that long to learn but, once you're thinking of stepping up your game with LUTS etc you're talking about Resolve. THAT will take a bit of time to master.

It's all down to your learning rate and how many videos, on youtube,Daily motion you're willing to watch and how much you can learn in a short time.

That may depend on who you are, what you're currently doing and where your market is as well. I'm new to drone world but my industry (Landscape Irrigation) is accepting Drone video and stills as a high impact marketing tool. If you can provide a reasonably priced quality product there's a solid market for it. Contractors love to show previous work to prospective clients and being able to carry your "brochure" in the Ipad or phone is an attractive prospect.

That's interesting... Do you know anything about rates? I would think that it could be based partly on amount of land to cover (e.g. golf course sized vs residential yard sized)? But are we talking like a couple hundred is reasonable? Up to a $1000? Any ideas?

I'm totally new to flying drones. I picked up a used P4 late winter this year. Wife is a realtor and actually demanded I get one :) I spent a few weeks experimenting with it, got a little comfortable and started studying for the part 107 exam. Took the exam after a couple weeks and passed. I started doing videos locally, mostly interesting sights around my city. I practiced editing and flying as much as I could. My work has improved significantly from day 1. I have now done several real estate shoots as well as videos for local tradesmen looking to promote their work. The way I look at it is, every minute spent flying is education. There is never a flight I take, even in my backyard, that I don't learn something. I now have a facebook & youtube page and a professional website to show my work, which is still very much evolving. There is no correct answer to your question about hours before starting a business. I say just get out there and do it. You'll always improve and refine the quality of your work.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Hello,

I just passed my Part 107 yesterday. My BIG question is what do I charge? For starters I know ALOT of Realtors and have already been asked to do Real Estate Photography. Can someone maybe hunter49686 tell me the price range I should start with. I live in the San Diego Area and lots of Airspace EVERYWHERE to deal with, and lots of Multi million Dollar beach homes. I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thank you Joe Glenn arisedrone.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72