How low would you fly your P3A at speed?

Reaction score
I am new at this but really enjoying it so far! I live by the coast and would love to do some really low level fly-by shots at the beach shore. Any considerations in terms of how low would be considered safe (don't want to crash it into the water!)?

I've flown full speed only about 6 inches off a calm lake but be prepared to pull up because she could dip.
Actually what am I thinking, don't do it yet. I'm flying years. Start slowly. Go half speed and maybe 10ft above any waves. Most crashes are from new pilots trying to jump in to quick.

Lower.. And lower and lower... You should have sand on the bottom of the legs if you do it right.

Low and slow baby. i have read somewhere that if you do intend to fly low to the sea turn the VPS off but dont hold me to this others might shoot me down in flames but it might be a handy tip if it is correct!!

Reactions: Farmer
This was from a few weeks ago when a few of us Irish lads met up. The video is just a bit of fun but probably shows me doing about 10 things you shouldn't do with a drone like getting close to water, people, trees, church steeples, flying under a bridge, launching from our the apartment we rented for the weekend etc.....
Warning it's cheesy as hell ;)

That was fun :)

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
This was from a few weeks ago when a few of us Irish lads met up. The video is just a bit of fun but probably shows me doing about 10 things you shouldn't do with a drone like getting close to water, people, trees, church steeples, flying under a bridge, launching from our the apartment we rented for the weekend etc.....

Really a nice shots of the launch from the apartment balcony and the church flyover.

Been flying now for 6-7 years and love low level flying. It can be costly as I recently found out though. I was flying at full pelt across the barley fields near to where I live and had intended to pull up and fly over the huge tree that lies in the middle of the field. All was going well until I found the one ear of barley that decided to grow 6 inches higher than its brothers and sisters that surrounded it. My poor ole p3a cartwheeled for what seemed like forever but only suffered around £50 worth of damage. I was very lucky. The barley that 'caused' [emoji9] my crash probably saved my p3a as well.
So in answer to your question, fly as low ( obviously safely) as your pockets can afford mate.

Reactions: SENC and MattyDread
Lower.. And lower and lower... You should have sand on the bottom of the legs if you do it right.
Wouldn't that be underwater?

You can speed it up on the computer later so it looks like you are much better at it!
Close to the ground it gets skittish as it's own downdraught is difficult to deal with, and at best of times the altitude sensors aren't all that precise.
The new VPS isn't really going to help skimming over water or grass, it's mainly for patterned surfaces like paving or indoor floors.

Wow

Thanks Andy, I guess that is how it works. Safety (in regards not hurting anyone or anything) is number 1, 2, and 3. After that, I will look forward to gaining experience as a pilot and get some great video in the process!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl