How low to use battereis

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 4 Pro and only fly until the battery shows 50%. I've seen people fly much longer than that. I've been in RC models sense 1972. Been flying electric models sense 2010. With my fixed wing I never let the batteries (Lipo) go below 3.8 volts. But with the Phantom I'm not sure where the battery voltage is. Seems I saw some where that 50% was the storage level for the Pro's batteries.

Can anyone give me some information here.\\Jack

Reactions: Capt KO
Thanks for the response. Is there anything what will show what voltage your battery pack is at?

I have a gauge that will show voltage but it only goes to a 3 cell pack.

This morning I charged my batteries up and did a flight just to see what % would be the LIPO battery 3.80 volts. As it turns out one of my batteries was at 3.80 volts (Under load) when it was at 58%. The other battery was at 55%. So If I understand the usage of LIPO batteries correctly storage level should be at 3.80 volts. I have all my fixed wing timers set when the batteries should be at 3.80 volts. I almost always check them when done flying. I'm really amazed at what you get when you have a Phantom 4 Pro. They seemed to have thought of everything. The manual that came with the Phantom really seemed hard for me to glean any battery info from. That being said for some reason I've always thought that the Phantoms batteries should be around 55%. I must have got that from the manual.

This is a great forum. Thanks everyone for the help.

One of my 2 batteries for the Phantom 4 Pro reached 3.80 volts when it was at 68%. The other can got to 55%. So I ordered a aftermarket battery that cost $ 80.00. Waited a little over a week for it to show up. I got it on the 26th of march. I charged it up and gave it a go. It seemed to perform good. It reached 3.80 volts at 52%. And I flew it for 15 minutes. This aftermarket battery is out performing the DJI batteries. The DLI batteries do have 28 charges on them and the are three years old. So I'm happy with the new battery and I'm going to order another!

Just thought I'd pass that along to the Phantom 4 people.

Got it here: Amazon.com: Phantom 4 Battery Intelligent Flight Battery for DJI Phantom 4, DJI Phantom 4 Pro, DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, DJI Phantom 4 Advanced Drone, High Capacity Li-Polymer 15.2V 5350mAh: Toys & Games

Yeah I always get a low battery at 30% and return home on it. I like to land at 10%. Everything seems to work fine the next day.

I've been flying since 2014, and I usually fly until 20-30% left.. Usually in the 25 to 30 range...

Funny story though... Buddy of mine, newer to flying drones, not as much experience, was flying his P3S, getting some shots for me... I kept thinking in the back of my head "Wow, he's getting good fly time, he's had to be in the air for 20 or 30 mins now!"... I start walking towards him at the end, and he brings it in and hovers it between us... Just as I was going to comment on the length of his flight, the thing drops from the sky, about 6 feet to the earth.... He says "Well, THATS never happened before!!! I had like 8% battery life left"... I burst out laughing, then I mentioned to him that most DJI stuff shuts off dead at 8%.... He said "Yeah, well, it tried to land, but I cancelled it 2 or 3 times!".... We had a good laugh over it, because there was no damage.

Ok battery usage on a DJI F550 with a 8000 mah 4s lipo and a 10000 mah 4s lipo I fly or drain them always to 14.91volts or 14.83volts that is exactly 15 to 20% battery usage left and I charge them to 16.8volts 100% and i get about 16 mins of flight time and the drone weighs 5.5lbs to 6lbs with the battery on it.

I always store lipos in a metal ammo box cause cats or kids can knock them off tables and if the puncture right they can start a fire or harm people so be safe. I recommend a steel storage box if u keep lipos inside your EXPENSIVE HOUSE.

I've been flying since 2014, and I usually fly until 20-30% left.. Usually in the 25 to 30 range...

Funny story though... Buddy of mine, newer to flying drones, not as much experience, was flying his P3S, getting some shots for me... I kept thinking in the back of my head "Wow, he's getting good fly time, he's had to be in the air for 20 or 30 mins now!"... I start walking towards him at the end, and he brings it in and hovers it between us... Just as I was going to comment on the length of his flight, the thing drops from the sky, about 6 feet to the earth.... He says "Well, THATS never happened before!!! I had like 8% battery life left"... I burst out laughing, then I mentioned to him that most DJI stuff shuts off dead at 8%.... He said "Yeah, well, it tried to land, but I cancelled it 2 or 3 times!".... We had a good laugh over it, because there was no damage.
Wow.. I guess 10% battery life is cutting it pretty close when returning home, but I haven’t had a problem yet. Phantom 3 Standard.

Careful with 10% battery if you were using litchi it automatically lands you at 10% battery and there is no changing that so you best be home before 10% with litchi app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers