How low do you go? (Battery %)

Reaction score
I usually land mine with a minute left on the screen. A few times have landed while the sub 30% alarm is going off.

Just wondering if anyone flies after 30% and keeps it close to LZ.

And if so.... HOW LOW DO YOU GO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mine set for 20% RTH battery life. Mine is usually already on its way back when I get the alarm. I try to keep an eye on the battery level while flying.

I usually always land with less then 20% battery life left. At below 30% I usually bring it in close and fly it until around 20% Its EXTREAMLY rare I have ever landed with 30% or more of battery power left.

Ok I did it today, flew to far to long, she was returning home and for some reason the battery power dropped faster( possible head wind ) Well all of a sudden on my screen it says "LANDING" needless to say I jumped in the car and went looking. Couldn't find her . Then I switched to locate my Phantom, it pulled up a GPS map show me and where the plane was. Drove two block over and low an behold it had self landed in one of my friends front yard. Picked it up head home and said you lucky stiff. I had been flying autonomous down the river over water and the marsh...... Some day are bright!
Battery check... 5% ummm. Slap my wrist!

Reactions: FantomPhlyer
i fly until the 30 percent watrning comes on than i bring it into land.
i do this every flight.

Low-Battery warning set to 30%, Critical set to 15%. But I normally fly them all to 20% then land. Every 20 charges I run them down to 10%.

I've never understood why DJI set the quad to auto land (and by land I mean.. .go down rather quickly/hard) at 16-17%. Are the type of batteries in use more prone to failure the lower the power remaining or something ? We basically have 1/5 of the battery we can't really use. I know you can fight it to stay in the air, but its a real battle and one I've only done once or twice to test.

You can disable all the warnings/settings etc and it will still go down at 16-17%... Unless its for some technical reason that I'm not aware of, which might very well be the case, I think the setting should be configurable. I'm sure if it was configurable some people would run it down to 0% and crash but you could apply that logic to anything...

Always annoyed me the 16-17% 'feature'.

Anyways I normally ensure the quad is in a position where it could land by very close by around the 20% mark..and usually land it then..

The auto land feature is set to do just that so it won't drop out of the sky. Makes sence to me. Save me twice on a bad battery.

The technical reason is Lithium-poly batteries will be short-lived if run down. Check the RC technical articles on proper care.

The auto land feature is set to do just that so it won't drop out of the sky. Makes sence to me. Save me twice on a bad battery.

Yeah the auto land and the configurable stuff is diff to the 16-17% thing though. I agree that makes sense.
Anyways based on what ronbo said I guess that is why they don't let/want you to run the battery down.. All though I believe you are supposed to every X (10 or 20 or something?) flights for maintenance or something to that affect according to the battery guide on DJI site.

Last edited:
At 30%, I want to have the quad very close to me, ready to land. Sometimes I will keep it hovering as I mess with various settings.

Ok I did it today, flew to far to long, she was returning home and for some reason the battery power dropped faster( possible head wind ) Well all of a sudden on my screen it says "LANDING" needless to say I jumped in the car and went looking. Couldn't find her . Then I switched to locate my Phantom, it pulled up a GPS map show me and where the plane was. Drove two block over and low an behold it had self landed in one of my friends front yard. Picked it up head home and said you lucky stiff. I had been flying autonomous down the river over water and the marsh...... Some day are bright!
Battery check... 5% ummm. Slap my wrist!
Next time, if it says "Landing" and you can't see it, hold up on the left stick to keep it from dropping, then use the right stick (forward or back) to quickly follow the line back to you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.