How Long Can the Motors Fly?

Reaction score
If I have access to enough batteries that theoretically I could shoot all day, can I? I'm curious if the motors will eventually overheat. I will be going on some sets during the summer time to shoot in Phoenix and would like some insight on this. I have the P3A and it's my first drone.

Thanks.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I daresay that Phoenix summer heat will put more stress than normal on the whole system. If it's 110 degrees F (43C) in the shade, and 125 F (51C) in the sun, your drone is going to have a whole lot more trouble shedding waste heat than if it's 75 F (24C).

In milder temps the airflow of flight should enable the unit to cool itself effectively. The motors are open top and bottom, and the column of air from the props should drive a lot of airflow through those openings.

I would hope P3s have temperature sensors at key points and will warn you if you approach the thermal limits of the system. Does anybody know the answer to that?

I would like to think there is some sort of warning before it falls out of the sky. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that the motors *can* overheat if you run them without the props on for too long as they're designed to be cooled by the airflow. The downtime between flights for swapping batteries, re-warming up, acquiring satellites again, etc. should be enough time to cool them down as well.

It would take some pretty clever metalwork and could have a negative impact on stability, but I wonder if it's possible to create a small cylindrical heatsink to go around each motor and whether it would help more than it would hurt (or cost).

I have the same question.. I can say for certain I was really surprised on how cool mine was after a flight in 75 temps... Thought it would get warm.. Was cool after 4 batts

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20