How long before I should charge the LiPo in storage mode?

Reaction score
How long before I should charge the LiPo in storage mode? The charger that came with my kit has a storage mode. In vendor said if I am not using the LiPo I should "charge" them in storage mode. But they didn't say how long? 1 week? 2 weeks? 2 months?

Re: How long before I should charge the LiPo in storage mode

yalag said:
How long before I should charge the LiPo in storage mode? The charger that came with my kit has a storage mode. In vendor said if I am not using the LiPo I should "charge" them in storage mode. But they didn't say how long? 1 week? 2 weeks? 2 months?

I think you will get a varied amount of opinions on this subject. My understanding of storage mode is that it leaves the Lipo in a 'comfort zone' where the chemicals that create the energy are at their calmest. If you have stock voltage limits then landing on full red should leave you about 11.3v on a healthy 3s (less if you auto land) - storage mode is at about 11.4v but it is at a balanced state across all cells which may not always be the case after use.

From what I've researched and from the opinions I've gathered the best practice for used batts is to get them in storage mode pretty soon. That isn't to say rush home at 100mph and do them 1hr after a flight but within a say 3-4 days max is good practice even if you know you are flying again in 2 days time. All it does is slowly top the batt to a calm balanced 11.4v so doing so actually will shorten battery charge times a little when you need them full.

Again from research I've done fully charged batts are more important to store properly (if you want them to last). Fully charged the cells are at a peak of chemical activity (more energy in them bouncing around wanting to get out). This leads to quicker chemical decay.

While my advice is don't leave full ones for more than 2 days if you can help it. Again don't have sleepless nights over breaking that rule. Worst case is you reduce the life by a few cycles and often it is a real pain to stick to it. I run by this rule and break it fairly often just cause its not always practical (and its a PITA!). :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94