HOW it works - volume calculations

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the drone industry, just received my Part 107 certificate recently and I'm looking to start up some drone services within my engineering company. I'm one of those people who wants to know how something works. So simply, how does the camera of a P4 for instance, calculate a volume? I'm assuming there is something else going on there besides it just taking a photo...

Thanks

A volume? Of what? It has know way of knowing that, as far as I know.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
There are no "Calculations" done in that respect internally to the drone. That requires different apps, or external software to do what you referenced.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
They use them to measure Structures. So, why not? I saw the pictures and read about it, but my mind right now at my age can't remember where or how. lol

They use them to measure Structures. So, why not?
That only works with external software to do the calculations and is very labor intensive. The drone does not know these indices.

The software uses the camera location, height and pointing angles along with multiple looks at the same point on the ground to estimate the heights (e.g msl) of the elements in the composite picture. That 3D data can then be used to calculate the volume of a specified portion of the area. As Fly Dawg said, takes a BUNCH of processing power to do this. Uploading the photo files to a service like DroneDeploy or MapsMadeEasy, they can then do all the heavy work and give you back the results

The software uses the camera location, height and pointing angles along with multiple looks at the same point on the ground to estimate the heights (e.g msl) of the elements in the composite picture. That 3D data can then be used to calculate the volume of a specified portion of the area. As Fly Dawg said, takes a BUNCH of processing power to do this. Uploading the photo files to a service like DroneDeploy or MapsMadeEasy, they can then do all the heavy work and give you back the results

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Perhaps I was asking the wrong question judging from everyone else's replies. To clarify, I was curious how programs such as DroneDeploy can manipulate the data gathered by a Phantom's camera/sensor to calculate the volume of a stockpile (for example).

Thanks again!

this is what I was looking for
I think it was pretty easy to understand what you were looking for, maybe others were being deliberately obtuse. Anyhow, the synopsis that @Richard R gave you is the basic information and doesn't get into it too far, so here's a little more information.

The process of getting a 3D model from 2D pictures is called photogrammetry or structure from motion. These are old techniques that are being used with new vehicles. You can recreate 3D scenes on the ground, too, so it's not just used for UAVs. When you take a picture of a certain point from multiple angles, you can start to understand the relationship between all of the other points as you move. This is done similarly to how your 2 eyes are able to judge depth and see in "3D". But with this technique, we're looking at lots of points from lots of pictures, enabling the software to generate a 3D "point cloud" of the area that you've flown. Yes, this is better done by using a fancy computer, but a slow one can do it if you give it enough time. With a moderate amount of RAM and with a recent GPU and CPU, you can do all of this at home. I started on an old machine and it wasn't fast, but it did produce results.

Ok, so you've got overlapping pictures from the drone, the program (Pix4D or Agisoft Photoscan are 2 of the most popular titles) has generated a point cloud, and every point in the scene has been assigned an X,Y,Z coordinate. With this data, you can select that area that you want for volume calculations and the program will create 3D "posts" or "voxels" for each area that you're interested in for volume. Think of it like hundreds of thousands of 4"x4" posts that are cut to length to recreate the pile that you're measuring. All you have to do is sum up the volume of the posts to get a reasonable recreation of the volume of the pile. In the "old days", getting a volume of a pile meant getting the area of the base and getting several transect through the pile and trying to generate a crude model of the pile. Now you're doing the same thing, but with hundreds of thousands of points, if not millions.

You can create extremely accurate models for planning, volumetric calcs, surveying, and other geospatial products with a Phantom 4, you just need a little knowledge and the right software. If you want to get started, I'd do a Pix4D or Photoscan trial and learn the steps. I don't like the cloud based software solutions because I can't control the data as well and they usually don't have the settings to produce results as accurate as I need. They're great for the hobbyist, but if you're looking at using some of this technology for your engineering firm, you'll want a full software package.

Then there is Drone Mounted LIDAR. It shoots out about 1M laser points per second in all directions mapping everything beneath it as it flies around. You can map out an entire facility in minutes.down to about 5 mm accuracy. If interested, let me know.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94